+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: numbness and weak muscles  (Read 2890 times)

pilgeram

numbness and weak muscles
« on: March 06, 2008, 09:40:21 PM »
Hi all,
I am six weeks post-surgery (rt hip).  The muscle on the side of my hip near the bottom of the incision (12 inches) is very numb (actually, it feels like rump roast ;D).  When I massage the area, I am just starting to feel the pressure.  How long will the numbless last?  Should I worry?
I am still have a limp and am walking with a cane (my only personal rehab depression was last week).  I am seeing some improvement this week and am feeling much better.   Are the limp and the numbness related?  What can I do to reduce the numbness.
Anyone out there from Bozeman?
thanks
Alice

SusieQ

Re: numbness and weak muscles
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 10:06:18 PM »
Where is Bozeman?  Are you doing special exercises on your own that Dr. instructed?  I had lots of soreness and some numbness thru my right thigh that at 8 weeks has receded almost completely.  It is essential to keep moving and doing the exercises during these critical weeks.  I'd like to know what you were instructed to do.  Are you working yet, etc.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 10:56:23 PM »
Montana?   Not me - Ohio

Welcome to Hip Talk.  Many people have different recoveries and different problems. I was lucky not to have that kind of problem, but other people have.

You normally just have to be patient and let your body heal. Some people have not done any kind of exercises or PT after surgery and ended up in the same place as those that have done a lot.

You need to do what you feel comfortable doing. Dr. De Smet says - listen to your body. If it is complaining - you are doing too much.

You normally want to use a cane or crutch, according to De Smet, until you don't limp.  They took my crutch from me in Belgium and told me to walk - I looked like I kept walking in a hole with my operated leg.  I was told to use my crutch until I did not limp.  It takes different times for different people.  I stopped using my one crutch at 4 weeks.

You just have to listen to your body and give it time to heal. The limp is from the muscles healing - not sure if numbness is from some nerve problem?  I don't know. I do know with most people - time heals it all.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Elaine Y.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 11:26:20 AM »
Hi,
I found that old habits die hard. Because of limping for so long, standing with my right leg slightly bent and all weight on my left leg, I found that I was still walking that way after surgery and standing that way too. It was drilled into me by my PT that be sure to heel toe walk and right now you really have to be very conscious of doing that. Use a regular stride and deliberately use the heel... roll to the toe. Also, did you have a pain pump used for your incision. If you did, that may be why you are still feeling numbness. I would have numbness off and on on the inside of my thigh, but not on the outside. But, like Pat said, all people are different.

When walking with your cane, be sure to be holding it on the opposite side of the operated leg and try to use the heel/toe walking. Remember.... you can walk normal now -- you don't have to limp because of the pain... that's what I found out anyway. I was off the cane at 3 weeks postop around the house and just used it while out. Completely off the cane at 5 weeks postop.

Good luck and keep us posted...
Elaine Y.
RBHR -- 1/22/08 -- Dr. Eugene Lopez

takilasunrise

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 04:30:10 PM »
I still have a lot of numbness around my incision.  But at the same time, if one of my dogs jump up on me on that side, that thigh is still real tender.  We all had major surgery, so it's going to take some time for our incisions and surrounding area to heal all the way!  I catch myself still standing like I used to, just like Elaine described.  After I sit for awhile and stand up to walk, I'm stiff, so I limp for a minute or two, but then I notice the stiffness goes away and I walk smoother again.  I still can't lie on my left side in bed yet.  Still uncomfortable with a pinching sensation. 

Ardnas

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 06:35:10 PM »
Hi,

I am 6 weeks post op and still use my elbow crutches.  I walk about the house with one, but use two when I am outside keeps me straight and tall.  Like Marni says use the heel toe method and if you are using two crutches or canes remember to put the opposite leg to crutch first.  I am still numb down my scar but each day it gets less.  I too cannot lie on my side and that is the one aim I have that and to dance again. 

Sandra

Ronnie

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 09:35:37 AM »
HI
    I am 12 weeks post op and just because u posted the question i checked my scar, and yes it's still numb at the bottom. My limp is a lot better then before but i tend to walk like John Wayne. My PT tryed a differnt exercise last week i will post it if it works
                                        Ronnie

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat