+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone else have a Wright Conserve Plus Total Hip Resurfacing System  (Read 21099 times)

dolphin

new to this site, my orthopedic surgeon uses the wright medical conserve + hip resurfacing device. Does anyone know about this device and its success?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Anyone else have a Wright Conserve Plus Total Hip Resurfacing System
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:25:56 PM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.  A lot of people have had a Wright C+ worldwide.  Surgeons overseas have been using it for years before it was FDA approved in the US.

What is more important - how many hip resurfacing have your surgeon done?  The skill of the surgeon is the most important part of getting a successful hip resurfacing.  Any of the FDA approved devices in the skilled surgeons hands work well.  Even the best device used by an inexperienced surgeon may not turn out positive.

I always suggest the surgeons that have done many hundreds to preferably thousands. 

I am sure some other Wright C+ patients will talk with you.  Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Jen4863

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 01:39:21 PM »
Hi There,

I had resurfacing done on my right hip with the Wright Conserve Plus in 2004. It lasted about a year before one of the screws snapped and it had to be converted to a THR. Unfortunately, that device didn't work for me - but its different for every person. Happy to help if you have any other questions!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 01:52:34 PM »
Screws? Did you have a dysphasia cup?
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Jen4863

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 06:05:44 PM »
I was born with severe dysplasia of the right hip so I had a lot of work done prior to the resurfacing. The resurfacing was actually only presented as an option once I turned 18 and had finally stopped growing. I'm 27 now, most recently had another revision to the implant last Feb (having a reaction to the metal-on-metal device). As I recall the screws were placed in initially to help support a bone graft that was needed as well. I was at physical therapy when the screw snapped and the whole joint fell apart. Like I said, each case is so different its hard to say what option is better or worse....

mslendzion

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 07:40:46 PM »
Jen, do you mind sharing your MOM reaction symptoms?
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Jen4863

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 04:46:26 PM »
Sure. So sorry for the delayed response. It was really odd actually - I was walking and turned to go down a hallway and got a super intense pain on my right side. So much so I could hardly put weight on it. I got home and the entire side where the device is was warm to touch. The next day I was still having trouble walking so I got in to see my doctor as soon as possible. He then sent me to have a MARS scan and to have fluid withdrawn from the joint. The fluid was very bloody and at that point they decided it would be best to do a revision to add plastic into the joint.

kimberly52

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 11:16:23 AM »
Hi,

I would like to know how your surgeon selects the correct device?  Do we have any say in this and what are the differences?

Thanks,

Kim

Dr. Michael Clarke
4/6/13
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 12:57:41 PM »
Most surgeons will have a favourite device. For most this is the BHR as it has the best and the longest proven track record. However there are other good devices out there. The key to success is to pick a top surgeon and let them decide what is appropriate for you.

Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

kimberly52

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 08:20:44 PM »
Thanks for the response.  Well it looks like I will be getting the Birmingham then. 

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 06:17:30 AM »
Who will your surgeon be Kim?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

kimberly52

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 07:29:48 AM »
Dr. Michael Clarke her in Central New York.  Have you heard if him?
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Marco Polo

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »
Kim:  you are in good hands.  Michael Clarke is very experienced and has an excellent reputation on the surface hippy websites.
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 09:43:33 AM »
I've not come across him but then I'm more up to speed on the UK based surgeons. Do some research on here see if there are any hippies on here who have had HR by him.

Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

kimberly52

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 07:44:55 PM »
Well actually my boss who is an M.D. Had hers done by Dr. Clarke about 3 years ago and she is very happy with the outcome.  It is weird because I was already his patient before I went to work for her and now find that he did hers also. 

I have no reservations about him since he has been doing this for years.  The hardest part for me was coming to terms that it won't get better on it's own.  Now all that needs to be done is to stay psyched that this is just one hurdle to clear before I can start enjoying my formerly active lifestyle.

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 03:42:39 AM »
That's pretty cool! Small world hay!?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

kimberly52

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 10:39:22 AM »
Sure is.  And days like today when I called in sick I don't need to wonder whether she believes me or not because she has been there and done that. Lol
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

luann again

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 01:34:16 AM »
Hi ! Looks like the topic has changed a bit since the first question was asked but, to whom it may concern, I have a Wright Conserve + implant in my right hip and love it! I have had no problems with it and it has given me my life back. I feel up to doing most anything I want and as many know on this site, I am an avid horseback rider/trainer. I even won a championship cutting belt buckle with my new hip!! ( and cutting is some ROWDY ridin' folks!) I was 45 when I had it done and am now nearing 3 yrs post op. I am a small ( about 5'2" and 117 lbs) female and Dr Sparling in Vancouver, WA thought the Conserve + offered smaller , better suited for my frame, sizes than the Birmingham. I trusted his opinion. Must say life is grand. How lucky are we to have hip resurfacing/replacement options? I thinks about what my life might be like if I had been born even 100 year ago.
Hope this helps anyone whose Dr is considering a Wright C +.   Lu. ( ps. Thanks Pat!)
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

john g stjohn

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 06:27:56 PM »
I had Conserve+ Total Hip Resurfacing done on my left hip in August 2008, age 59.  Wrestled through college since then played tennis, weekly soccer league plus practices/running and down hill skiing, until the osteo arthritis in the left hip stopped me. Researched the resurfacing and liked what I read about Dr. Harlan Amstutz's work and his very deep experience.  Surgery was great.  Was downhill skiing in 6 months. Tennis fine, but I could not get into jogging at all ... after 10-15 minutes I'd get intense pain "in the joint."  So I basically stopped running but added bicycling, stationary and a little bit of road/mountain biking to the mix.  Recently have started to try jogging again adn seeming to do a bit longer ... 30 minutes two miles+ and long hikes 3-4 hours.  Pain is not as intense adn comes far less quickly.  I've been back for two blood serum tests and am holding steady at low levels. 

Recently, with all the bad press I have had some concerns about the pain when running and whther it might be an indiactor of some tissue problem ... but other than that, the metrics and life style seem to be quite good.  Dr. Amstutz has published an updated white paper, Current Status of Conserve Plus Hip Resurfacing, dated Jan 15, 2013 that I recommmend as good reading.

evant

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »
It sounds like you're doing good and you've been patient too regarding the jogging.

With Dr Amstutz's vast experience and your blood results being good I would hope that your pain through jogging after 30 minutes is a minor issue.

Are you able to have a consultation with your surgeon to allay your concerns?
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat