+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Martial Arts: Really want to get back into training  (Read 6598 times)

Clarkefan

Martial Arts: Really want to get back into training
« on: March 10, 2008, 01:21:40 PM »
I am making the necessary preparation to have a RBHR the end of the month, as noted in another thread. But one of the driving forces behind this decision is my desire to return to the world of martial arts. I have more than 20 years of experience in Taekwondo, and though I was never too involved in competition, it was a constant part of my life (and I would LOVE to train my daughters in the sport).

While testing for a step from 3rd to 4th dan, I subluxated my right hip, which is no easy task. It exacerbated my mild hip dysplasia and very effectively tore up my socket. Fast forward 3 and a half years, and I continue to exercise, and even teach cardio style kickboxing, but cannot execute techniques with anywhere near my earlier abilities. I tried several times to get back to training, but gave up from pain and lack of flexibility.

I am now wondering what success other martial artists have had in returning to the sport. What were your milestones? How easy/fast or difficult/slow was your recovery? Any advice or recommendations?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:19:43 PM by Pat Walter »

rob webb

Re: Martial Arts: Really want to get back into training
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 02:29:19 PM »
I am three months post op left bhr Dr. Ure and back to martial arts training, alpine skiing, nordic skiing (skating), weight training (squats) with no problems except for slight hip flexor irritation.

R. Webb

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 03:11:41 PM »
Hi
Welcome to Hip Talk.

I am just a plain old person and not into any competitve sports at this point in my life.

Did you see my page showing all the athletes that are back into the martial arts?
http://www.surfacehippy.info/athletes.php

Some of them have more detailed stories than others.

You can be like Cory Foulk and run a marathon at 3 months and Ironman at 6 months.  Not many people recover that fast, but many are back to competitve sports of all kinds.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bohunk

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 01:14:23 PM »
clarke
how is your bhr doing? well I trust, i had one in mar 2004. dropped out of lifting and got into bjj and mma type training. it was going well for someone my age (47) until several days ago my other unoperated hip began to exhibit telltale signs of wearing out. kicking and shrimping may be getting painful and difficult. But the BHR was/is doing great, its now a question of how long before having the other side done.
hope all is well and your training is going better than you imagined.
my experince is that my BHR keeps getting better, even over 4 years!
Bo.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat