+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 8 days po normal?  (Read 1422 times)

midiowa

8 days po normal?
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:30:56 AM »
rt bhr 8 days po,  above my knee and on outside knee going up, my pain in my muscle is unreal it feels like its on fire. is this the norm? it hasnt been this bad, icing all day, proped up,walking good with crutchs, is because iam using it more? can you ice to much? prop to much? ive been ok on pain but this is horrible, hope its just a using it to much and will pass, i realize its gonna hurt but wow.

Dannywayoflife

Re: 8 days po normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:42:08 AM »
Hay brad,
             Some pain is to be expected after a major op but it sounds like your in a little too much. I would advise contacting your surgeon as only they will be able to give you a proper answer.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 09:55:20 AM »
It may be your IT band is acting up, but the best thing to do if you're concerned about anything is to call the surgeon. Use them fully, they work for you.

You can ice too much, but if you space it out correctly, there's usually not much of a problem. I was told to ice about 10-15 minutes, let it rest for about the same, maybe 20 minutes then ice again. It avoids frostbite, which you don't need.  Having said that, I never approached frostbite and I iced like a fiend. Plus I'm South American, and if anyone would get frostbite, I imagine it would be me  ::) .
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hipnhop

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »
Yes, contact your surgeon. I really didn't have much pain except when trying to move my leg.  I do have muscle soreness that flairs up once in a while but nothing I need pain meds for. It should be getting better each day. If this is not the case I would call your surgeon.

Good luck man
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 04:46:14 PM »
Hey Brad....I had almost the exact same pain.  One of the exercises that Dr. Gross gives his patients is isometrics.  Squeezing the glutes, quads, and calves.  I found that around the one week point I had that outside-of-the-quad pain, and it would sometimes go all the way to the knee.  Do you have a similar exercise?

It cleared up for me by week two.  You might still contact your surgeon for peace of mind, but I think that's normal.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Baby Barista

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
Brad,

Day 6-8 post op was the worst for me... and with basically the identical pain you describe. In fact, one morning it was so bad, it brought tears to my eyes.

It wasn't all that long ago I used to do squats, sets of 10 with 405 on the bar. I have large leg muscles. My surgeon indicated that people with a greater level of muscularity, will often experience worse thigh pain, than people with average muscularity. It has to do with the degree of tension and traction put on your leg, to provide the internal rotation needed to create clearance for the surgery. If you're someone with muscular thighs, this could well be the source of your pain.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat