+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Proper Way To Use a Cane?  (Read 2156 times)

stephen1254

Proper Way To Use a Cane?
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:45:23 AM »
I'm still 5 weeks away from surgery but I've broken down and bought a cane to try to ease the pain in my hip. Everything I'm reading says to hold the cane in the hand opposite the weak leg. This seems both odd and awkward. It feels more comfortable to me to hold the cane on the same side as my weak hip. What do others do? I'd just as soon avoid looking any dorkier than I already look.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Proper Way To Use a Cane?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »
there is a right way to use a cane.  If you use it on the same side as the hip, it does not take that much weight off.  You use it on the opposite side. As you step forward with your operated hip, move the cane forward and make it hit the ground just a bit before you step down. The operated leg and cane go forward at the same time.  This way I believe it takes something like 60% of the weight.  On the same side it takes far less weight off the leg.  doesn't make sense, but it is true.  You use one crutch the same way.  I used only one crutch for 3 weeks and was taught how to use the one crutch or cane.

Using the cane properly allows you to take a nice long heel toe step as you would normally do.  concentrate on your proper heel toe gait as you walk.  go slowly and get it down, then you will eventually be able to walk normally.

Practice a little.  Here is a page about how to use the cane

http://www.surfacehippy.info/caneuse.php  and many other things

http://www.surfacehippy.info/howtoarticles.php

Pat
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:55:06 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

fenceman

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 03:21:16 PM »
After I was off my one crutch I would use a cane (as described by Pat) when I went on long walks.  It took just enough weight off my op leg and I was able to concentrate on my gate without a limp.  Try to walk as normal as possible when using it. Make sure you get a cool looking cane, not the institutional kind that the Dr would give you. :)

Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:05:04 PM »
I went into the local CVS drugstore when I thought of a cane, and saw some really interesting ones. There were several of different colors, blazing orange was a favorite - I almost bought a camouflage one, but then thought that if I went walking in the woods, dropped it, I may never find it again.  :-\  , So I settled on a studly number with a maroon stem and a black handle.

I thought I looked very cool until my daughters gagged in unison. Suffice it to say that of course I used it as much as possible with them around, even when I was long past needing support. I can't give up a prop that has such popular support.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Jbennett

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »
Saw a buddy that had a naked mermaid cane in a corner of his house the other day. I don't know why. Guess he thought it was funny and bought it at a flea market or something. What are the chances my wife would let me be seen with that in public. lol  ;D
Right Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 3/14/12

hipnhop

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 01:52:28 PM »
Just dont watch Dr. House. He does it wrong!
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:33:55 PM »
When you go through PT during recovery you will be told to keep you nose over the centerline and don't let you upper body move over, more on top of the strong leg.  It's essentially the same movement with a cane.  You are moving more of you weight, as Pat points out, over the strong leg and allowing the recovery/hurt leg to be unweighted/less weighted through the stride. 

I made a cane out of steel bike tubing and shaped it into a femur top.  It's a little odd shaped and heavy but a fun conversation piece.  For my second hip, I took a classy pool cue and cut it down and added a blingbling LED gearshift knob to it.  Again a nice conversation piece, but much ligther.  I guess I had too much fun with recovery. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »
I guess you did. So you owe yourself some boring time now. Doing taxes should be just the thing.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal