Author Topic: Reversion doctor reference needed  (Read 2239 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Reversion doctor reference needed
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:32:27 PM »
After approximately eight years of varying degrees of right hip pain I had my right hip resurfaced in California in July 2008. (Operative procedure : right total hip arthroplasty, and debridement and bone grafting of large acetabular bone cyst.) Shortly after returning home I had a nasty fall, landing on a brick floor on the right side of that hip. An X-ray was authorized but no sign of damage could be detected. Since the original operation I have never been pain free. I have, within the past year, visited two orthopedic surgeons here in Las Cruces. They could find no problems after X-raying the joint. I then visited a back orthopedic specialist who found no evident problem and then my GP referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist noted some abnormalities and so my GP referred me to another orthopedic surgeon who specialized in back problems. He subsequently did a laminectomy in two (I think) of the lumbar vertebra. This really helped greatly with some back, some right gluteal, and right sacroiliac joint pain that I was also experiencing. Now I only have right hip pain. It does not appear that the pain is in the same place as before my resurfacing operation, but more specific to the lateral side where the head of the femur inserts into the acetabulum.  I have varying degrees of pain from moderate to extreme after flexing at the hip when going from sitting to standing. Also, very recently since participating in a two week orthopedic surgeon authorized PT program, I now have pain when flexing or abducting the hip while sitting or, particularly, when lying. I can usually walk off the pain, mainly using a cane, and it becomes more of just a discomfort. However, if I continue walking for some distance then the pain returns. The recent PT exercises did not help but only made the pain worse. I stopped two weeks ago. I was hoping that the pain could possibly be caused by some form of impingement, although no indication of this was found by the surgeons who examined the X-rays. My GP authorized a CT scan about ten days ago. He contacted me last week indicating that the CT scan showed a significant reaction to the prosthesis and further arthritic changes.
I have contacted the surgeon who did the resurfacing operation but have received no response.

It should also be noted that following the initial resurfacing operation that my right leg was found to be one half inch shorter than the left. When questioning the surgeon who performed the operation concerning this issue he informed me that it must have been shorter prior to the operation. I now wear a half inch orthotic in my right shoe.

I am a 73 year old male who led a very active life prior to medical problems. I competed in triathlons including the Hawaiian Ironman and prior to that played rugby for 30+ years and numerous other sports (primarily racquet sports and endurance events). 

I live in New Mexico but believe that I will have to go out of state for an operation. I would like some recommendations as to which doctors I should contact who are experienced in reversions. Many thanks in advance, Peter


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3900
Re: Reversion doctor reference needed
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:43:41 PM »
Hi Peter, so sorry to hear about your problems. Welcome to the site, I'm sure Pat and others will be glad to help as much as we know. The doctor's list here has some of the most experienced doctors in resurfacing, who also deal with revisions and know the problems encountered with them.

Some of the doctors listed will accept your XRays, MRIs, etc. by email and will give you their opinion without charge. They are highly experienced and can get you pointed in the right direction so that you can get this behind you.

The doctor list is in this part of the web site:


Please use those doctors, especially since your original doctor is not helping you. Good luck, and I hope for the best for you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Baby Barista

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 145
Re: Reversion doctor reference needed
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:31:01 AM »
Dr. Pritchett in Seattle and Dr. Su in New York have done quite a few hip resurfacing revisions. It's my understanding that the vast majority of those revisions have been quite successful.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup


  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 376
Re: Reversion doctor reference needed
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »
Dr. Kwon is one of the top revision surgeons in the world. He works out of Massachusetts General.

Young-Min Kwon, MBBS, PhD - Director, Center for Metal-on-Metal Total Hip Replacement
Assistant Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Dr. Kwon is an accomplished surgeon, researcher and educator specializing in minimally invasive total hip and knee replacements and complex revision surgeries.
Phone: 617-643-7436
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.



Recent Posts

Re: 9 days post-op, and happy 🙂 by PalmettoGolfer
Yesterday at 07:38:30 PM

Website Status by jimbone
August 10, 2022, 09:02:36 AM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by WillW
August 07, 2022, 10:58:06 PM

Re: 9 days post-op, and happy 🙂 by Desert Tortoise
August 06, 2022, 07:00:42 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy


View My Stats

Powered by EzPortal