+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: meet surgeon 1st po  (Read 1396 times)

midiowa

meet surgeon 1st po
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:39:56 AM »
3 weeks 1st meeting with surgeon tuesday, trying to figure out questions that need to be asked, give me some ideas hippies,   i see everyone seems to know bhr size thats one, rehab pt  2, what else is there besides recover.  Brad.

Dannywayoflife

Re: meet surgeon 1st po
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:43:11 AM »
He's had the op already chuck so hopefully brad asked those questions before. I would ask if there were any complications, what was bone quality like, sizes of components, angles of the cup. That's what springs to mind.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:46:31 AM »
Yes, cup angle, etc  LOL  Now I read the "PO".

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:48:59 AM »
 ;D
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

jon

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:45:14 PM »
I would ask what are best next rehab steps and what are the clear do's and don'ts...

Neild5

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 02:11:18 PM »
Brad,

I see my surgeon tomorrow also, mine is at the 2 week point.  Besides getting the staples out and getting x-rays (I will get copies on a DVD) I need to talk to him about driving restrictions and going back to work.  The short term disability company approved me for 6 weeks and I am not sure I will be ready. 
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 03:04:54 PM »
Yeah, make sure you get a copy of your XRays, ask about driving, what restrictions you have until six months. Then tell him about any specific activity you want to return to, and his advice on how to do it. Make sure you come out smiling, get all your questions answered and get the device name, cup angle and anteversion angle.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

midiowa

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
thanks guys,x-rays great, danny you brought up good idea about id for airlines for metal, has anybody in states had any problems without the id, there gonna scan us anyway. thanks for the input.Brad

jon

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 06:42:44 PM »
On planes all week.  I have to go through x-ray, if available, otherwise require physical pat-down (after invariably setting off scanner).  I think the days of implant ID have passed. For me, no one has asked or cared...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:46:04 PM by jon »

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 08:05:32 PM »
No airport security will ever accept a ID card with implant on it. So I think it's best just to tell them and either get scanned or patted down.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 09:27:36 PM »
Other than everyone's excellent info already posted, here are a few things to consider:

Sort of on the same thread as Danny - I'd ask the doc if there were any signs of anything unusual that the doc noticed while in there.

Ask for your stickers (serial number of the prosthesis), not sure if someone already mentioned that.

Blood thinners?  You're probabaly off everything by now, but if you're taking any meds since the hospital visit, ask about when you need to get off those.

Dental work - probabaly not that important now, but before you go in for a cleaning ot other dental work, you should check with your surgeon's office and your dentist to see how they want to go about prescribing the prophylactic antibiotic.  My surgeon wrote the first script and then my dentist will re-write and authorize in the future.

Doc appointments/schedule and when you need to come in again.  See if you can get copies of all your x-rays.

Your work HR (human resources, not hip resurfacing) may require that your surgeon's office complete the FLMA paperwork, if you used sick leave under FLMA while being out.  They will likely require your doc to authorize your return to work. 

Just for fun, ask your doc if there was anything that they really liked at the AAOS in Feb.  Presumably they went,if they did, it would be interesting to get your own surgeon's perspective on the conference and if anything jumped out at them.

Good luck.   

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats