+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Successful Surgery, 3 weeks post op with Dr. Gross  (Read 1919 times)

karind

Successful Surgery, 3 weeks post op with Dr. Gross
« on: March 17, 2008, 10:53:30 AM »
I wanted to tell everyone of my great experience with Dr. Gross in Columbia,SC and the excellent care I received from his staff and the hospital staff.  Everyone was extremely kind and caring.  As I had never had any major surgery, I was very anxious prior to surgery.

I am 51 and consider myself active.  I had been having groin pain for the last two years and have been going regularly to a chiropractor for 9 years.  I had always had lower back pain, but my chiro would usually straighten me out and I would be good to go for another 4 to 6 weeks.  About 18 months ago, I started to notice that my back wouldn’t hold for  1 week after visiting the chiro.  The chiro said my groin pain was related to my back problems.  When the pain began to intensify, I decided to see an ortho doctor.  He informed me that I needed a THR.  After the initial shock, I decided to go for a second opinion which also confirmed that I needed a THR.

I then began my internet research , heard about hip resurfacing, which no one had mentioned and found this website.  From here I was able to locate Dr. Gross who is only 2 hours away, how lucky for me!

My surgery was scheduled for 12PM Monday, February 25, 2008.  I remember being wheeled into the operating room around 12:30PM, the anesthesiologist began to administer the epidural, the other meds must have kicked in about the same time as I don’t remember anything until they woke me up in recovery at 4pm.  I was moved to my room at 5:30PM.  All my nurses were extremely caring.

Post op day I was feeling pretty good, arthritic pain gone, now minor pain from surgery.  Low blood pressure, very thirsty.  Nurse removed catheter at 6:30AM.  Dr Gross came in around 8:30 said everything  went well, no problems.  Had pysical therapy at 9:30AM and 3PM.  Very light headed in AM, after morning physical therapy, became nauseated, nurse gave me anti nausea medication.  Nurse asked if I wanted to go home,   I was released at 4PM.  The anesthia drugs were in my system most of the day and appeared to wear off on way home to Charlotte (1.5 hour drive).  Should have asked for a pain pill prior to drive home.   Very hard to get in and out of bed.  Remembered reading about sleeping on plastic trash can liner, to help you slip in and out of bed more easily.  This was a great help.  Kept ice pack machine on all the time. 

Second day post op – left leg swollen, thigh 1 inch larger than right side.  This was cause of most of my pain.  Leg felt very tight and hurt whenever leg was bent.  Placed call to on call doctor at 6PM.  Said swelling was normal in addition to being on  blood thinners.

Third day post op,  call to Dr Gross’ office, they confirmed swelling is normal, and to continue with ice.  Swelling should go away in 5-7 days.

Day 6 - First day where major  improvement noticed.  Still hard getting in and out of chair and bed.  Still need both crutches to get around. 

Day 7 - Felt light headed in the middle of the night and in the morning.  During morning shower, felt light headed again, had to sit a while in shower before I could get out to dry off.  Moved to chair for most of day, felt better as long as I was sitting.   

Today is 3 weeks postop.  I am able to walk about 1 mile with a cane.  I can hobble around without a cane,  but feel more comfortable having a cane for support.  I try to increase my walking daily and am working towards walking without the cane.  I am extremely happy with the progress I have made over the last three weeks and am looking forward to getting my old life back.  My only regret is not finding Dr. Gross sooner.

I have been told that I will need my right hip resurfaced.  I will not wait as long and will return to Dr. Gross.

Thanks for all the info this site has provided.

Karin

marathonhippo

Re: Successful Surgery, 3 weeks post op with Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 11:17:14 AM »
Karin, thanks for that story, and congrats on your new hip!  I'm very glad it went so well.  Your experience sounds very similar to mine.  I am very impressed that you are already walking a mile!  I was walking unsupported after 3 weeks, but I didn't get anywhere close to walking that far.  I ended up having the other hip done 5 weeks after the first, and I am now 1 week post-op with the left hip.  I don't know why, maybe it's because I knew what to expect, but the 2nd one has been MUCH easier than the first for me.  There's no way I would have sat for 2.5 hours on the computer 1 week after the first surgery, yet here I am (although I am a little sore, and ready to get out for a walk now).  I waited 5 weeks after the first to have the second one done, but I know some doctors would want to wait longer.  Any ideas as to when you'll have the other one done?

Best of luck in your recovery,

Alan
RBHR 2/4/2008 - LBHR 3/10/2008 Dr. Hickman
RBHR  2/4/2008 - LBHR 3/10/2008 Dr. Hickman

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »
Hi Karin

Congratulations on your new hip. Dr. Gross is a wonderful surgeon.

Glad you are feeling better now. There seems to be no average recovery. Everyone has their own timetable.

I will posted your story on the main website . I like to try to post all the stories that I can. Sometimes I miss a few.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories08/karin08.php  The link is from the Hip Stories Page, Dr. Gross stories.

I will try to watch for your updates.  You can always send them to me via my email  pwalter@surfacehippy.info    too.  Also any photos or videos of surgery or recovery.

I hope your recovery continues to go well. Keep in touch.

Pat
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 11:26:55 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

karind

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »
Hi Alan,

I wouldn't be able to walk a mile without my cane.  I'm glad to hear you are recovering so well after a second hip resurfacing so soon after the first. 

I do not have a definite date for the second hip.  My other hip didn't start bothering me until 6 weeks prior to my surgery, but at that point everything seemed to be falling apart including my knees and back.  I just attributed this new pain to the way I was walking and favoring my bad hip.  I assumed that when I got my new hip, the pain would go away.  Dr. Gross doesn't seem to think it will but said we would reevaluate it at my 6 week office visit.  Right now the pain in my right hip and knees has seemed to disappear, but I am still on an anti-inflamatory, and I am not quite as active as before.  I'd like to be able to go another few years before doing the other hip, but I'm sure that is not realistic!

Karin 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal