+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pre-op exercise / preparation  (Read 1473 times)

wriggra

Pre-op exercise / preparation
« on: March 15, 2012, 02:26:08 AM »
Got my operation is less than 2 weeks. What exercises / stretches should I be doing (if any)?

Also, is there anything else that I should be doing / getting ready to make things easier for when I return home?

Thanks
Grant

Woodstock Hippy

Re: Pre-op exercise / preparation
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:41:28 AM »
Pretty much what ever you can do is good.  Work on your core and upper body, walk.  It's only two weeks, but every little bit will help.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Neild5

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:34:37 AM »
As Woodstock said core and upper body.  Your arms are going to have to do a lot more than they are used to.  As far as house prep make sure you can get around with a walker or crutches whichever your doctor is going to have you use.  Things like ottomans, coffee tables etc.  And equipment to have, sock donner, grabber and 18-24 inch shoehorn.  Also a pair of comfortable slip on shoes or a pair of gym shoes with the curly stretch laces. 
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

zeke

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 09:42:42 AM »
They are both right prepare you body as much as you can. I did that and I was much happier when I came home. I also noticed the healing process lot faster and better.

Equipment to have, sock donner, grabber and 18-24 inch shoehorn... for these items check with the hospital where you are having your surgery. Where I had my surgery they sold these items in kits.  Also make sure you have a raised toilet seat in my opinion this was the best thing to have, and it gets used the most right? Also a bench for the shower this helped a lot, until you are strong enough to stand in the shower...just some thoughts! You can also make some meals and freeze them or make sure you have a lot of soup in the house, smart ones...ect

Good luck and many wishes for a safe and healthy recovery  ;D

Zeke

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »
Man! Zeke, Neil and Woody are pros!

Some things I also found helped - find and map out a safe walking area for you to walk. Indoors was the hallways in my complex, including walking up and down stairs, outside, a nice flat area to do laps in.

I also scoped out my apartment both for areas that might be hard to navigate with crutches and taking all of my charging equipment to my kitchen counter (charge central). Last thing you want to do is bend down to get the wire to charge the cell phone.

I bought lotsa movies and made sure things I wanted were up on the top shelf of the refrigerator, at the front (for the first couple of weeks).
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

zeke

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 12:37:03 PM »
Thanks  :),

Couple of more things I just thought of... make sure you have something to do like reading or a craft etc... that helped me when I was not moving to much in the beginning, so far I have crocheted to blankets.

I live in a house and with the weather in MI you never know. I had bought  a Bob Haper Power walk DVD before my surgery. I used once I was able...it was funny cause I would do the workout in the kitchen on the hardwood the rest of our house is carpet...didnt want to trip on it! :-[

Hern is so right make sure everything is up to where to can get at it...food, cloths, bathroom (stuff toothbrush ect..).

Zeke

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal