+-

Author Topic: Would you do a second hip early?  (Read 2870 times)

Jbennett

Would you do a second hip early?
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:27:14 AM »
My left hip will need to be done at some point. Right side cost me about 11-12k not sure exactly yet. If I did the left this year I would already have met my maximum out of pocket for the year so theoretically the left would be free. Would you consider that knowing that it was possible that you could hold off? I do have sone symptoms but I'm not miserable like I was with the right.It's sore after strenuous exercise and catches and pops at times. Same FAI issue going on with that one. I'm considering saving 12k and trying to do it too in Sept. or Oct. Crazy??? Should I wait until I hurt terribly bad?
Right Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 3/14/12

Aerial

Re: Would you do a second hip early?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:59:02 AM »
Wow, that is a tough call.  I see the temptation with the insurance issue.  I don't recommend waiting until your hip is ruining your life (I did that) but at the same time I think waiting as long as reasonably possible is a better bet.  It could be years before it gets really bad.  The longer you can keep your own "parts" the better!  It might be a good idea to get another X-ray of the opposite hip in the fall and if it looks like it is going downhill super quick, make the decision then.  If the hip is still in the same condition, wait!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:00:29 AM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

mslendzion

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 01:07:21 AM »
I like Aerial's recommendation. If you do go forward at least you are fully loaded with your recovery gear.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

midiowa

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 02:21:02 AM »
I wait, you know when its time, hopefully many years , as far as the money no way is it a decision factor. my thoughts only. Brad

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 02:37:13 AM »
     See how the recovery goes with this one.  We all expect great easy things with our HRs but the "total" recovery is longer in coming.  See how you handle the first hip.  Once its in the rear view mirror, it will be easier to make the call on the second one.   I was in the same predicament with insurance, but it pales in comparison to such a big decision.  Give yourself and your one new hip some time to contemplate it all.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Boomer

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 02:54:25 AM »
I agree with Curt and Midiowa.

I need my second hip done, and am anxious to get it behind me. However, my surgeon advised me to give the first hip as long as possible to heal before we do the second one. You feel pretty well recovered from the first hip after three or four months, but the truth is is takes about a year to fully recover from this kind of major surgery. Unless your symptoms become too severe, the safe thing to do is to wait.

It would be better to base your decision on input from your surgeon and your symptoms. Leave the financial side out if you can. Curt hit this one on the button.

Good luck to you JBennet. Stay posted.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Baby Barista

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 03:33:55 AM »
I have had this conversation with myself several times, for similar reasons. On x-ray, both hips were identical. End stage osteoarthritis. The left one killed me, the right one not so much. I could save a few thousand bucks by getting the right one done in this calendar year, but I've determined it doesn't make sense.

For me, it has come down to risk versus reward. While the risks associated with HR are low, there are still several risks. On the left side, it wasn't even a close call, the reward outweighed the risk. On the right side, I think the risk outweighs the reward. Eventually, the balance will shift and I'll go ahead with surgery. That could be months from now, it could be years, but I'm letting my body decide that. Good luck.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Nemesis

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 04:04:42 AM »
I am trying to talk myself out of getting my other hip done. It doesn't hurt unless I play sports (hard on hips) or if I work out hard. I am not old but at 42 I should expect some limitations.

dg2112

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 12:53:38 PM »
I have a very similar situation. I had my right hip done Feb 29th with Dr. Gross. My right hip was bone on bone with limited range of motion.

My left is not good, but I still have range of motion.

In doing my postop mile walks on a treadmill, my left hip is very uncomfortable. My post op right hip does not hurt except for periodic muscle pain.

Either my left hip is going downhill quickly or my right hip hurt so bad that it masked my left hip pain.

Saving money is a small consideration, however, getting myself fixed soonee than later is even more appealing.

Dr. Gross mentioned hip arthroscopic as a possibility to delay the second hra. If they need to dislocate the bone and cut my ass muscle the same way, I would prefer just getting a second hra.

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 02:34:05 PM »
Maybe I can give a different perspective. Both of mine were bone on bone, with my right having very little cartilage left, and my left none.

My left was dislocating four to five times a day (I had how to pop it back in down). All of the surgeons that saw them said the same thing - have to do both now. Two offered THRs and Dr. Snyder went with me on the HRs. We scheduled both at the same office visit, the left first and the right following in three months.

We discussed it, and he thought that would give me enough time to recuperate the first to support the second. It was never a consideration on my part not to do it, since it was clear that the only thing that had kept my left from being degraded due to the bone on bone situation was a considerably high bone density (hitting hard things for thirty years).

So the decision was easier (still had niggling thoughts in the back of my mind), but I was glad that I did it after the first, since the second went downhill very fast after I did outpatient PT for the first one. I was so hyper to get my left going that the right was really being pushed just by how good I felt on the left.

The great outcome on both encourages me to tell people that when they do choose to have it done, the outcome should be great. I've always thought, though that it is serious surgery and as several of us have seen, there can be complications (although thank goodness everyone got back on track). You REALLY need to feel that it's the right thing for you at the right time. So as long as there's nothing that keeps you from doing another HR, no problem.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hipnhop

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
It's a hard call.  had mine done almost a year apart. Not intentionally - just issues with insurance company.  I would have preferred getting them done six months apart.  At one year the unop hip started to hurt real bad and I was already into getting my business back on track. Then I had to go our for another 6 weeks. Just too much Drama. I sat get the other done as soon as you can. Just listen to your surgeon and see how your body is reacting to the first hip.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Jbennett

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 07:00:27 PM »
 If it was only a matter of a few thousand dollars I'd wait as long as possible. But we are talking a huge chunk. Private school tuition for a year. lol I have a feeling that my right side hurt so bad it masked some pain in the left. I'm going to sit on it for a few months and revisit it mid to late summer once my activity level has picked up enough where I can gauge it better. Wish there wasn't a 6 month restriction on high impact. Tennis would let me know real quick how the left side is doing.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 11:56:03 PM »
I'm going against the grain on this one.  The second hip is already going so after you recover from the first one you'll still have to take it easy to try to keep hip 2 comfortable.  You're still disabled and you have to worry about how long H#2 is going to last.  If you get it done soon, it might seem a little early, but after the recovery you're good to go.  If you wait, it could go bad as soon as you pass into next year.  I'd get it done.

Take some of the money you save and take your wife on a nice vacation.  Winners all around!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

mountaingoat

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 03:15:26 AM »
I tend to agree with Woody to an extent. I did both of my hips at the same time in January because I felt that I'd been dealing with hip problems of some kind for 4 years and when the recovery was over I really wanted to be DONE entirely. I didn't want to get to 6 or 8 months post-op and then find that I was limited by my "good" unoperated hip. My right hip was definitely worse -- both on x-ray and pain-wise. But I did have symptoms in my left and it was the kind of thing where I never knew exactly how much that hip limited me because my other one was so much worse than I couldn't really push it to see. Dr. Gross agreed with me that it didn't make sense to be limited by the other hip after going through surgery on my bad one. I realistically could have probably waited another year on the other hip but I have a small child (10 months) and didn't want to do two recoveries while she was still so small. I figured for me at least it made sense to do it all at once. It has been tough recovering from bilateral, no question. But at least HOPEFULLY when I am fully recovered I will truly be done for a long, long time.

I tend to think life situation reasons take precedence over finances on something like this and I don't mean that to sound naive. For me, the issue of having a small child was a bigger one than any other issue, finances etc. but everyone has their own unique circumstances.

I will say I was tempted to fix my right shoulder this spring before my insurance rolls over again and I have to pay down the deductible again. I could get my entire shoulder surgery for free. But I've had a lot of surgery to recover from this year and I decided it wasn't worth it even to save a few thousand dollars - my well-being mattered most.

Its a tough call. Good luck.

Boomer

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 03:33:52 AM »
JBennet,

There is no wrong answer to your question. Either way you get to recover your life. Pluses and minuses can be made for doing the second hip now or waiting. Woodstock makes some good points. He always does. I was leaning toward getting my second hip done ASAP after the first one but my surgeon convinced me to wait as long as possible. I've had a great result with my surgeon, so it is hard to argue with his advice.

It surely would be nice to get the second hip behind you though wouldn't it?

Good luck to you.

Boomer

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 07:43:35 PM »
Thank you Boom,

And I think 11,000 dollars is a lot of money.  I could get a nice Colnago bicycle for that.  Not an all out one, but still a nice one.

Boomer

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 08:34:50 PM »
Woodstock,

I don't think JBennet is going to send your the $11,000 to buy a Colnago.

Believe it or not, you turned my way of thinking on the second hip. I made the call today to Dr. Rector's office to schedule the second hip for sometime in June or July. I don't have a date set, but am confident we can get one in June or July. One extended recovery instead of two separate recoveries, less stress etc. Your reasoning is sound. Thanks for the input. I'm not excited about going through the recovery again, but I'm looking forward to putting the hip stage of my life behind me.

This website is a great resource. Appreciate your help Woodstock.

Boomer

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »
Good luck Boomer, once your finished with this one you're good forever!

And good luck, JBennet, which ever way you go.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 09:58:23 PM »
Before I had the first one done last Oct, I was sure I'd wait a year, but after reading here of the experiences of Hernanu and others, I pushed it up to as soon as they would do it, about 4.5 months after the first one, in late Feb.  There have been small challenges with the first hip taking more of a load while on crutches after #2, but nothing major at all, and it is now behind me versus looming next fall, and that feels really good.  For me, it was the right decision; the second one is going really well recovery wise (they typically do the worse one first), and the light is no longer at the far end of the tunnel, it is almost here.

On the $$ aspects I can certainly appreciate the need to reduce the impact, and eliminate that as a stressor with all the other major ones related to bad hips and/or major surgery and recovery, which are more than enough.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Jbennett

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 01:32:25 AM »
I'm worried I might be on the slow recovery protocol on the second due to bone density. Could I increase the bone density before hat somehow?

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats