+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone running as fast as they were before surgery?  (Read 3308 times)

Arrojo

Anyone running as fast as they were before surgery?
« on: March 24, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Is this common? Is it possible? Just wondering. Thanks
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

johnd_emd

Re: Anyone running as fast as they were before surgery?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 10:57:20 PM »
I don't know about running, but look at my post today for cycling.  Don't see any reason why you can't run the times you did Pre-0p.  I'm only 7 weeks post op and I can't believe how well my hip is feeling.  Feels better then my left one already.  You'll just have to wait and see.  My recommendation to you would be to get active in something other then running asap after surgery: swimming or cycling.  Aerobically you'll be able to work on our conditioning with out jeopardizing your surgery.   Plus, those activities will really help with your recovery. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

MaryEllen

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 01:35:49 PM »
I ran 6 days a week pre-op. I was never fast, but I was happy with my times. Now, I can't run two days in a row (I'm 4 months post-op), but my times are very very close to pre-op times. I'm going to get there!!
Mary Ellen
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12
Dr. Palmer Stillwater, MN

Arrojo

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 03:46:34 PM »
Mary Ellen,
That is encouraging (time-wise).  See my post about ART in your other thread - that could help you with your soft tissue issues, I bet.  I'd like to hear from others who are further out like 1-2+ years, whether they are running as well as they could before.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

JEMacpherson

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 09:35:29 PM »
There are so many of these about running that I’m going to create a single post and put the same one on each, just in case people only look at one or two.  Sorry for the repetition – if you’ve seen this just skip it.

I was an avid runner in the past and quit due to my back, started up again and avoided the old back problems but developed right hip pain, and had the resurfacing surgery July 2011 at age 57.  I worked very hard to get back to running.  I did the 2011 Bainbridge Island Turkey Trot, a 5K run in November exactly four months after the surgery.  It is now March 2012 and I run 35 to 40 minutes 3 times a week or so and plan to bump that up a bit now that Spring is here.

I completely changed my running style:  I have a shorter stride and now run exclusively on my toes and mid-foot with minimal pick up and virtually no heel striking, even on steep downhill terrain (where I take tiny quick steps on my toes).  I’ve kept a fairly quick gate and I’m pleased with my overall speed.  I am using my old shoes but plan to get one of the new minimal impact “barefoot” styles like New Balance Minimus or Vibram 5 Fingers.  The barefoot theory is really working for me – some achy feeling once in a while but no actual pain at all, and I’m limited by my wind and my stamina and not the hip.

I am thrilled with my resurfaced hip – so glad I did this instead of a total.
Dr. Pritchett - Seattle
Right hip resurfaced on July 11, 2011
Born in 1953

Sarplummer

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 08:30:39 AM »
I am 3 weeks post op, Dr Su and I LOVE hearing about people resuming running!   I am walking pain free and on the bike since last week with no resistance.  My outlook on life has changed since this operation as I am now pain free and I was in constant pain leading up to this.   I have been a runner forever and it defined me so I am anxious to get back to it!
Sarah

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 09:22:43 AM »
Hay Sarah,
               Welcome to the board. I'm 5+ months post op. I dont intend on starting running again till jauary at the earliest. I was not a serious runner before hand I ran to supplement my other training. However I would like to in time return to running 2-3 miles several times a week.
There are tons of people who have returned to serious running however! Be patient and return slowly that's my plan. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM