+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bone density  (Read 1603 times)

Jbennett

Bone density
« on: March 28, 2012, 10:44:05 PM »
Any way to increase bone density pre surgery. If I were going to do my other hip later this year and my bone density score was unchanged in that hip I think Dr. Gross would put me on the slow recovery protocol. Anybody who's followed me the last two weeks knows I would have a really hard time sticking to that. Short of Fosamax or something like that what could I do to increase bone density that would not negatively impact the freshly operated hip?
Jeff
Right Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 3/14/12

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Bone density
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 10:48:22 PM »
Jeff

Walk, walk and walk.  The top surgeons will tell you your bone density will get better after your hip resurfacing if you do weight bearing activities such as walking. That's info from Dr. Bose and Dr. De Smet.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Jbennett

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 10:51:59 PM »
Good advice Pat. I can't wait until I get cut loose for the gym and more extended walking. I'm struggling to stay within what is reasonable for someone with a 14 day old hip.  :-[

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 11:54:29 PM »
Also as well as walking getting lots of calcium in your diet will help. Lots of leafy greens. I also take coral calcium just to make sure I've got enough.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

johnd_emd

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »
You can talk to your doctor and discuss with him if you need to increase your bone density or not.  There are medications out there that will help to increase bone density. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Anniee

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:56:03 PM »
I think Dr. Gross puts all his female patients on Fosamax or some alternative for 6 months after the surgery even if there are no bone density problems. He put me on it right after surgery on my first hip, so I'm sure it will not hurt your operated hip.  I recommend calling or e-mailing Lee and asking her about this.  The advice from others to take calcium and eat greens is also very good (and part of Dr. Gross's post-op instructions).
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Jbennett

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:08:44 PM »
Well turns out I was wrong. I would not be put on the slow protocol with 10% weight bearing after all. It wasn't that low.

Aerial

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 07:34:23 PM »
I think Dr. Gross puts all his female patients on Fosamax or some alternative for 6 months after the surgery even if there are no bone density problems. He put me on it right after surgery on my first hip, so I'm sure it will not hurt your operated hip.  I recommend calling or e-mailing Lee and asking her about this.  The advice from others to take calcium and eat greens is also very good (and part of Dr. Gross's post-op instructions).

Interesting, I am also a Gross hippy and was not on any medication for bone density post-op.  I am still pre-menopausal which might have something to do with it.  Not sure though.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat