+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long until you didn't think about "the hip"?  (Read 2933 times)

jb46

How long until you didn't think about "the hip"?
« on: April 01, 2012, 04:56:36 PM »
I'm 24 days and counting to surgery with Dr. Gross. Have had hip pain for so long can't really pinpoint the start, but haven't run any great distance in over 3 years. Was discussing with a friend yesterday and came up with this thought.

How long did it take after surgery, till you woke up and went thru the day WITHOUT thinking once about your hip? After living with constant pain and discomfort I can't imagaine what that's like. Interested to see the different responses, not a "message board" person but so thrilled I found this site...thanks...jb

Neild5

Re: How long until you didn't think about "the hip"?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 05:03:06 PM »
It was around the 3 month point for the first one, only at 6 weeks on #2.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

jjmclain

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »
I am 16 months post-op Left BHR and I think about my hip almost everyday...but not because there is any pain, but because there is none and I am so amazed at how fantastic I feel! I don't feel like I have an implant and I feel so thankful that the few years of reduced range of motion and pain are completely gone. I feel like I was given a new lease on life. I feel happy all the time and that is what makes me think about my hip.

WTW15

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:00:21 PM »
I know it varies, but at 10 1/2 wks, I am still waiting for that magic moment.   I know it's coming, and I am sure once I get stronger and the muscles heal, that will be my time. 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 01:05:32 AM »
I would guess it was around three months.  Like JJ there are moments where I am amazed I am able to do some activity without pain.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Krunch

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 04:26:00 AM »
My hip is great and without pain..........but anytime I start a strenuous activity I'm thinking about it. 
"Whatever does not kill you, makes you stronger"
                         Nietzsche
          The philosopher, not the linebacker.

LBHR - 4/1/11 - Dr. Rector

sheptr

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:22:24 AM »
I was somewhere in the 6-9 month window if i remember correctly. The first few months I thought about it all day long, as I couldn't believe how great it was to have NO hip pain!  Then that finally wears away, and it just became normal again to not have the pain.
I just came from a 27 month checkup, and I paused, and had to think about the PA's question:  "Which hip is it?"  Forget I even had it done. Coaching youth rugby, I find myself protecting my un-operated hip more than the resurfaced one.
Todd
Dr. Su, LBHR 12/31/09
LBHR - 12/31/2009 - Dr. Su

lori.36

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »
Funny, most times I think about my hip, it is because I am so happy that I am able to do a particular activity and I think I am so happy that I did this surgery.
 ;D
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »
I'm about 11 weeks, and I have moments where I don't think about it at all.  However, that can be bad because I still have to be careful for several more months.  So, I think about my hip in the "I am reminding myself NOT to lift/jump/run" sense, not in the "oh...I have an implant in my body" sense.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Kiwi

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 05:36:15 PM »
Great question - I asked myself the same question in the early days post op as I was so focused on the operated hip.
I think I got the odd day around 3 months and it seems to be getting more frequent now at 4 months. Like several others, I think about it in a good way when I do think about it now & still appreciate little things like pain free walking! Yes and it let's me know when I've over done something, so need to remind myself it's still relatively early days.
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

mslendzion

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 05:38:13 PM »
Since I post about every day... I'd say every day.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 10:50:29 PM »
I guess I'm with MSL on this one.  That's sort of funny.  Although it's been a few days since I was here.  Long story short, I think about both hips everyday, but in a good way like Lori said and I'm at 13 months for lefty and 7 months for righty.  I think it was about 3 months though when I wasn't thinking about the recovery of the hip, which is probably more of what you're looking for.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

luann again

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 03:21:15 PM »
Boy, that is a great question. I'd say that now, at about 22 months out, I forget about it about 80% of the time. It does not really hurt, but like someone said in an earlier post here... I "feel" it there about anytime I do seriously tough activity. I can just tell it's not the hip that nature gave me. That said, I am super happy with it, and would not for a second hesitate to recommend a person look into HR. It gave me my life back!  Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal