+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone know of Pittsburgh, PA docs?  (Read 3284 times)

Chillman

Anyone know of Pittsburgh, PA docs?
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:03:58 PM »
I'm a newbie!  47/female. I've had right hip trouble for years.  I have a good pain tolerance and don't often take any type of medication at all.  Recently (last 4 months) I've developed terrible right hip pain that doesn't really subside.  So, I finally made an appointment with a Dr. Frank in Pittsburgh PA. 

I was trying to find more information online to be prepared for my visit, when I found this website!  Thanks for putting so much information at one stop!!

I looked at the doctor list on this site and don't even see Pennsylvania listed. (scarey) I also noticed that some of the posts regarding doctors are from previous years, (of those I have read thus far...).  So I didn't know how recently the doctor list may have been updated.

So, if anyone has gone to a Pittsburgh doctor, and has any comments pro's or cons, please let me know. When I registered, i left my email address visible I think!

I did see tht in older posts, some mentioned Dr. Brooks at the Cleveland clinic.  Does anyone have any updated information on him, by chance?

I have a pretty hectic life, so this is going to take some scheduling to get taken care of - regardless of what the diagnosis is.

I welcome any and all comments and feedback!

Thanks all!!

C* ;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Anyone know of Pittsburgh, PA docs?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:12:07 PM »
Hi
Welcome to Hip Talk.

The doctors list is updated anytime I get new information.  Sometimes it is right from a doctor, sometimes from a patient and sometimes from Vicky who helps to gather information for the website.

I don't have any Pittsburgh doctors listed because I don't know of any experineced surgeons there.  I normally don't list a surgeon unless they have done 50 - 100 hip resurfacings.  I usually learn about them from their patients.

There is a steep learning curve which is indicated from the medical studies I have posted and I believe what my surgeon, Dr. De Smet has told me.  He has done over 3000 hip resurfacings and is one of the best in the world.  He says a person should use a doctor that has done at least 100 hip resurfacings to get experienced.  I personally want a doctor that has done hundreds if not thousands.

The revision rate for the BHR has dropped to 96% since the US surgeons have come aboard. Most of the problems occur early in a doctors experience during the first 100 - 200.  So to not be one of the 4 out of 100 that has problems, it is best to use a really experienced surgeon.

Dr. Brook's interview was just posted in January 08  - the date is at the top.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/doctorinterviews/brooksinterview.php

I hope that helps. If you want experience you will probably have to travel a bit.  The best way to make sure you know a doctors recent stats is to call their office and ask.  There is really no way for me to keep up with all the doctors unless they contact me.  The list is a starting point.  Find someone who has experience and make some calls.  See who you feel most comfortable scheduling an appointment with.

I think there are some doctors in Pittsburg that are doing hip resurfacing, but the last Pittsburg lady I personally talked to decided to go to my doctor - De Smet in Belgium because she had a difficult problem and needed a really experinenced surgeon.

Pat

« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 09:16:05 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bciam

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 11:12:28 AM »
I have scheduled a resurfacing with Dr. William Hozack in Philadelphia, PA. HE is associated with the Rothman Institute and Jefferson Hospital.  I know this is probably a bit far from you but at least it is the same state.  Dr. Hozack has done about 150 resurfacings.

Clarkefan

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 02:00:55 PM »
Dr. Mont in Baltimore is probably about the same distance as Philly, and I believe he has done over 1,400. Probably a 5-6 hour drive from Pittsburgh? 76 to 83.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear