+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stair Climbing Restrictions?  (Read 2769 times)

stephen1254

Stair Climbing Restrictions?
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:33:57 PM »
I'm at 12 days post-op. Since day 10 I have been walking around the house without assistance, and with a good gait. I have also been climbing our stairs in a normal fashion, with each leg advancing another step. I do support myself with the stair rail.

I just read another post that placed use of the Stairmaster in the same category as running - a no - no for a year. I realize climbing 15 stairs 5 - 6 times a day is not the same as using a Stairmaster, but has anyone's doctor placed a restriction on climbing stairs? I did not ask my doctor that question at discharge.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Woodstock Hippy

Re: Stair Climbing Restrictions?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »
I'd be interrested to hear how a Stairmaster relates to running.  I always thought it was a no impact way to get in an aerobic workout.  My in house PT's at NYU Rusk Rehab Hospital had me climbing the stairs with one crutch during the first week.  When I got home, my first problem was after doing too much stair work on my own.  It left me sore and set me back a few days.  Just go easy on the stairs.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 01:40:11 PM »
I don't think that stairs or the stairmaster would be restricted under normal situation.  There may be special restrictions if you have low bone density or some other condition that warrants it.  It is the impact that you want to avoid at first to let the bone heal enough.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:45:07 AM »
Hmmmm.......

There are different types of stair climbing machines, and I think the restriction would apply to some and not others.

I think this type would have a restriction, since you are picking up your foot, and placing it on the next step with some force.  Plus, in an exercise setting, you're putting a lot of pressure on the femoral neck.

I would think these types of climbers would be better, since your foot stays in contact with the platform:

I would specifically ask your surgeon, though.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:48:51 AM by imgetinold »
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 03:35:25 PM »
I had no stair restrictions.  The Stairmaster restriction seems odd to me.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 03:43:46 PM »
I fully understand the no running thing as 10x your body weight go through your joints but even the stair master that you pick up your foot would surely be the same as walking. But I'd listen to your surgeon. They know best!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Neild5

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 05:01:21 PM »
I was encouraged to do stairs and used the kind of stair machine that your foot stays in contact with in PT at a week.  The biggest restriction my doctor put me on was common sense for the first year.  He told me to listen to my body and it would let me know what I should not do.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

Anniee

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 06:35:29 PM »
I had no restrictions for stairs - the physical therapists showed us how to go up and down the day after surgery!  There were restrictions on running, so maybe some stair machines are more like running than walking up and down?
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat