+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Sudden pain at 8 months post Resurf - anyone had anything like this??  (Read 2354 times)

got2newhips

Hello all!

It's been a while since I've posted, as I've been busy re-habbing and getting my life back from my bilateral resufacing done. by Dr. Gross last July (2011).  You can read about my experience here in the forum.  It's been a life changer until just now...  Things have been moving along (although slowly as I was in REALLY bad shape before the surgery), and have just started amping things up with yard work, kid baseball, honey-do's that I couldn't before the surgery.  NO hip pain or clunking, just muscle and tendon soreness as I started putting my body back into service.  Then, one day about 3 weeks ago, I got a pretty sharp pain in the butt - literally -  felt sudden tightness and pain at the bottom of my right cheek.  Thought it might be due to a bit too much activity and some stair climbing so didn't worry too much.

Fast forward to now, and it seems to be getting worse and more frequent.  Feels tight, and almost like my hip geometry is off, with enough pain to make me stop my rehab walking.  I can still squat down and move around, and sometimes have NO pain, but it's become more common and painful.  When I lift my leg up it hurts (at the base of my buttock reaching around to the side of the hip area) and feels weak - haven't had this type of inability to lift my leg easily with no pain since before my operations.

I've got a call in to Lee Web at Dr. Gross' office, but thought I'd see if anyone else here has had anything like this happen so many months into recovery.  I'm getting pretty depressed about it  :-[  Thanks for anything you can share.

Richard
LH Biomet Uncemented - Dr. Gross/Lee Webb 7/25/2011
RH Biomet Uncemented - Dr. Gross/Lee Webb 7/27/2011

jjmclain

Re: Sudden pain at 8 months post Resurf - anyone had anything like this??
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
You might have strained the point of attachment for the hamstring or the muscles there around the ischial tuberosity. It may have nothing to do with your new hip. Wait and see what your surgeon says. Good Luck to you and relax until you find out!

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 11:34:02 AM »
I had that at about 8 months on my left. It wasn't tied to any specific activity (I thought), matter of fact, I was walking to my favorite rooftop bar on an inclined road, and my left hip snapped a bit, and pain ensued.

It went away fairly quickly, but seemed like every third step or so, I felt both a twinge and some snap feeling. It was both scary and disconcerting and (like you mention) depressing. Over the next week or so, it still continued intermittently, which was even more problematic. Then it left, never to darken my steps again. Don't know quite what it was, I categorized it under 'step backs and other nasty things' on my way to how I feel now. I did call my surgeon in some agitation at the time, they told me to be patient (am getting real conflicted about that word) and in fact they were right.

If I were to speculate, I would think I opened some scar tissue, or I would take a great description like June's above (wish I could have used tuberosity   ;D ).  Hope your pain resolves quickly, clearing your mind is important - maybe get some xrays just to eliminate the HR as an issue.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

got2newhips

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement folks!  This is a really wierd thing, as it comes and goes.  Hurt like crazy yesterday, but fine last night ???  Talked to Lee Webb (Dr. Gross' assistant) this morning, and she suspects it may be my BACK??????  Doubt it, as I have no back pain.  Then again, everything is connected.....(I too wish I knew enough about anatomy to use the words "ischial tuberosity" in a sentance ;))  Lee suggested I take some pain meds, stretch and rest; trying to decide if I should do that or go ahead and get some x-rays to try to rule out any major problems.

Richard

jjmclain

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:03:13 PM »
Sorry about the wording!!! :) Thought if I gave you that it would give you something to reference...you know how we all love to look up things on the internet and self-diagnose!!! :)

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
No worries, June... I was psyched to see it (immediately looked it up), just sounded really impressive is all   8)
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dayton96

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:35:28 PM »
I had my one year checkup last month and raised the same issue with Dr. Gross  He also suggested that it might be my back.  If there is one thing I've learned from reading this forum, it is to be patient and accept that there will be aches and pains on the way to recovery and "recovery" can take at least two years.  Like you, I have doubts that it is my back, but I'm hoping that as I work my way back into running, the on and off "butt" pain, will gradually go away.

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:54:52 PM »
I've never had that kind of pain, although I had aches and pains the first year here and there.

A friend of mine that I met through this experience had his done 6 weeks after me had some major issues, he took ibuprophen iced it a few days and he was good to go after a week or so.

Don't give in to an x-ray quite yet, give it some rest and ice and then see how you are after a week or so.  If it does not go away I would ask for a script for an x-ray just to make sure everything is ok.

Of course all of this is my opinion and I am not a doctor.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

John C

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 12:32:31 AM »
Richard,
About 25 years ago, many years before I had my left hip resurfaced, I was having pain much like you describe on the right side. A number of massage people and others said it was my hip, and I felt no pain at all in my back, but it did turn out to be my back (L5-S1 herniated disc). I had a discectomy which took care of the problem.
I certainly don't want to try and diagnose your issue, but I did go through the confusion of buttock pain being confusing in terms of where it is coming from. I hope that you are able to track down the cause before too long.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

got2newhips

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 03:44:53 AM »
Thanks for the additional info folks, it's making me feel better - what a great community!!  It didn't hurt as much today, so as I moved around (ok, also played catch with my younger son to warm him up before his baseball game), I moved it through a bigger range of motion; feels more like stiff/sore tendons, maybe some scar tissue to break through, etc., rather than a big problem (fingers crossed).  Will see how it feels tomorrow and do some icing and rest (hate to stop working to get ROM back, but such is life).  Sure hope it's simple and not a back thing - not sure I'm up for another major physical thing after 2 new hips in 2 days last summer ;) 

A bit off of this topic, but another big "thumbs up" for my personal experience with Dr. Gross and his staff.  Sent an email to his assistant (Lee Webb) late last night describing the problem, and she replied by 8:30 this morning.  She continued our dialogue between surgeries, and called in a prescription for me late today.  I can't get issues resolved with my local Internist that quickly, and he's pretty on top of things.. I have nothing but glowing recommendations for anyone considering Dr. Gross and his team for their life changing hip operation!!

Thanks again for all of your support; would love to hear about more experiences/advice if anyone has them!!

Richard

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM