+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Running Warm up?  (Read 3022 times)

Woodstock Hippy

Running Warm up?
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:03:43 PM »
I'm about 3 1/2 weeks away from my 6 month checkup and I'm feeling really ready to run again.  I'd like to know how to warm up the new hips before my runs.  I used to see ''Cory Faulk's running warm up'' talked about around here but I never saw what it was.  Does anyone know where to find this?  What do you do to warm up your new hips before running.

I thank you and my new hips thank you.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

MaryEllen

Re: Running Warm up?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 04:23:51 PM »
I'll be interested in the replies, too. I have tried to locate the Foulk warm up, but can't seem to find it.
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12
Dr. Palmer Stillwater, MN

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 05:27:18 PM »
I too am curious.  I read the Corey Foulk warm up routine too long before starting to run again and forgot what it was when I started to run.  I have wondered about it every time I have run in the last two and half months.  It seems like it was outside this forum and maybe on his blog?

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

David

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »
I just walk for a couple of minutes, do a few lunges and a little "monster walk".  Start off slowly and it has just been feeling better the longer I go.
Just now returned from my longest "all run no walk" since...7 miles in some hilly sandy trails.
I've got to say this Graston Technique PT I've been going to for the last two weeks has just propelled my recovery to a whole new level.  I am a believer that breaking up the scar tissue and fascia release is where it's at...for me anyway.
Heading for the ice...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 10:52:44 AM »
The only real running I've done so far was the two times I got caught in the middle of the street with traffic coming.  The first one felt really funny, like my muscles didn't know what to do.  The second felt like I should just keep going!  Right now I do a lot of what I call ''fake running''; I do a running motion at my walking pace.  I think it's getting me ready.  I'm ready to go and just waiting to see my doctor on May 7.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 04:00:01 PM »
I start slow and jog lightly.  I try to be springy at first.  also when I started running again, I started with uphill stuff because it felt like less of a stretch in the stride.  That's all great on the way up but then you gotta come down the hill, I think the pounding is probably not a good thing at least within the first year.  I also found that too much stretching in the middle of the run, didn't seem as productive as you might think.  I ended up with a little more discomfort in the hip when I tried to "stretch is out".   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

MrHappy

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 03:37:19 PM »
I've posted "my story" elsewhere, however felt compelled to comment here: Since bone can take up to 2 years to heal and adhere to the insert I felt that walking and not running for that length of time would put me in the "least likely to need revision surgery" category. I walked, walked, walked. 1st a mile then a  few, then 5 &10 + mile hikes after 3-4 months out. Next 15 & 20 mile hikes 6 mos out. @ 1 year I was at the top of Kilimanjaro happy and well. @ 2 years I started jogging. 1 mile then a few a  couple of days a week. Now, 2.5 years out I run 2-4 miles two to 3 times a week and hike Hills (for those who know- Koko Crater- and the likes on Oahu) regularly. 6mph jogger, so no speed demon. 160 lb, 5'10" 64 yrs and keeping a healthy lifestyle. I have been given my mobility back and so I chose a conservative path back to where I am now. Recently finished a 1/2 marathon. Ecstatic Doctors can work such magic!
Good luck and take your time, you have the rest of your life.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear