+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Michael Ries M.D.?  (Read 4747 times)

Cerph

Michael Ries M.D.?
« on: March 21, 2008, 01:45:50 AM »
Hi,

Would appreciate feedback about this physician, and the results experienced by his patients.

Dr. Ries works out of the Arthroplasty and Joint Replacement Department at UCSF.

thanks

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Michael Ries M.D.?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 04:35:58 PM »
Hi

You might not find someone on this group that has used Dr. Ries. The group is still small at only 400 members.

You might find someone from the Yahoo Surface Hippy Group of over 7000+ members that used him.   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/surfacehippy/

It is good to find out as much as you can about a doctor you are interested in.  Be sure to ask as many questions of the doctor as you can too when you finally meet him/her.
http://www.surfacehippy.info/questionsfordoctor.php

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Kal

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 10:26:55 PM »
Hello.

My local ortho sent my information to a Dr. Ries so anything you find out would be appreciated if you pass on..

Kal

Cerph

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 02:24:34 AM »
Hi Pat,

Thanks for your kindness.

I registered using my email nickname, but you already know me by my real name- Dennis.

I would have changed it- but I'm afraid computer knowledge isn't my strong point.

I've actually already posted a similar question at SH and Totally Hip- but have gotten no response yet from either site.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/surfacehippy/message/133970

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/8340.html

Dennis (aka- Cerph)

Cerph

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 02:33:20 AM »
Kal,

Dr. Ries performed hip resurfacing on my left hip approximately 11 months ago.

I'm presently trying to connect with other Dr. Ries patients to hear of their experiences by posting on this and other sites.

I'm sorry, but based on my own experience I cannot recommend this doctor to you or anyone else.

Kal

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 03:27:33 PM »
I appreciate your information.  It's funny that you mention this as he has told my local ortho that based upon review of my xrays and MRI that my condition does not qualify me as a candidate for resurfacing.  In the meantime, I have received a positive reply from three other doctors - one of which is De Smet in Belguim saying that there is no problem doing the resurfacing.  This is after the local ortho simply saying that I can always do the total hip replacement!  I'm 47 years old and why in the world would I go that route knowing full well that it will not last and guaranteed to have revision surgery?  No guarantees on anything including resurfacing but at least give it a shot right?

Sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience.  Can you give me any details on the problems you had with this doc?

Kal

Cerph

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 09:00:17 AM »
Kal,

He was recommended to me by a friend who works in the Hemotology/Oncology Department at UCSF as a doctor who won't hesitate to operate on patients with blood abnormalities such as mine. This seemed like a big plus- so I switched doctors (was assigned to Dr. Jurgesen at that clinic at the time).

Just before the surgery Dr Ries relayed some doubt about doing the operation that seemed strange to me. Said we might not be able to get the UC hospital to do it, and that it might be done at another hospital nearby. Were those feelings, actually his own self doubt in his abilitities to perform the operation?

It wasn't until after operation, and I was home (and online) that I discovered I was either his first hip resurfacing operation, or his second (and this gave me cause for concern, etc.) His staff have vehemently denied this allegation (I used the charts of Ron VanMierlo at the Surfachippy forum as proof).

Either way- my deep feeling something was wrong (since coming out of surgery) is buttressed by continuing events surounding the surgery.

Right now I'm waiting to receive a CD with all my hip x-rays taken since just before the operation up to last September (07') when I last was down there. I'm having an additional CD mailed to Dr. DeSmet in Belguim to examine, as he has the suspicion the cup may not be seated properly, which explains why the hip continues to slip and slide (esp. when doing side bends with an empty barbell over one's shoulders).

So- we'll see how things turn out in a little while. I sincerley hope I don't need a revision. After waiting 8 years in agony for this operation to be made availible to me, trusting UCSF explicitly with my life and health, and having had this happen- feels like betrayal to me. Also, it will most likely be a THR this time, and I'm too  active athletically to have that hold up for very long. The whole thing's a head ache, to be honest. And I just wish it would heal completely soon.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 01:50:51 AM by Cerph »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 09:16:39 AM »
Hi Dennis

I just wanted to say Hi and once again, wish you good luck.  I do hope that if you cup is loose that it could be placed again without revising to a THR.  Hopefully, Dr. De Smet will be able to let you know more.

It is so dissapointing to know that hip resurfacing is a wonderful option and then end up having a problem after surgery.

Life just isn't fair sometimes.  So many of us had great outcomes and it is so upsetting for anyone to not have good results.

Please keep in touch.  I will keep you in my thoughts and hope for the best for you.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

idaho boy

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 08:43:33 PM »
Hello,

I am a rep for an ortho company, and I am fascinated by the forum you have here. It is great. Being on the other side of the operation, these procedures become so routine to us that we sometime forget how our implants change people lives. It is great to see.

I wanted to respond though that before going to Belgium to get your hip done, a lot of surgeons are now performing these procedures with more ease, especially that they are starting to have a few of them under their belts. In SFO, you might want to consider looking at Thomas Vail, MD, he actually performs the procedure with Computer Assisted Surgery (CAS). If anywhere else, you might want to consider Idaho, a lot closer to Belgium (1hr flight). Our governor just got his hip resurfaced and at least 2 surgeons in Boise are doing a fantastic job: Colin Poole, MD 208-383-0201 and Jeff Menzner, MD 208-323-2600. There has been over 120 hips resurfaced in Boise since BHR was approved and all with CAS. www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/ktvbn-feb2908-otter_hip.b51b76c.html

A word on CAS. It is like a GPS. It is a computer that the surgeon uses to optimize the placement (size, angles, cuts, etc...) BEFORE the actual cuts are made. It is like a intra-operative templating to make sure that the size will match your head but be also compatible with your socket and that the angle is correct to avoid notching (the most likely complication). Then the computer will guide each step of the surgery and the surgeon can see live how each movement affect his result. It is really cool. Not a lot of surgeons are doing it with CAS, but the problem with resurfacing is that the learning curve for a surgeon is quite steep. It is said that it takes anywhere between 20 to 50 cases for them to be comfortable. The computer takes that learning curve away. It is also used a lot in Total Knee replacement.

Anyway, just wanted to give you more info. Oh and also, though hip resurfacing is great, it is not for everybody and, it may be unfortunately that your arthritis or resulting deformity is now too great to be fixed by a resurfacing. Total hip is a powerful surgery with some of the best outcome any surgery ever had and it actually is less invasive since less soft tissue needs to be exposed. So don't get bummed out if you are not eligible and are being turned down by your orthopod.

Pat, how do you update your doctor information? Your site though really awesome is missing a few names for surgeons and it seems that these people are looking for them. Let me know if you need help with updating your data. Thanks for the site.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 10:42:51 PM »
Hello

Thank you for your post on Hip Talk about hip resurfacing.

What companies and products do you represent?  I assume you are a rep in the Idaho area.

I would be happy to talk with you and also receive any additional information about products and doctors.  I also have the total hip website   http://www.hipsforyou.com    and   knee website   http://www.kneesforyou.com    They are begining to grow and I am working on collecting information for them also.

I don't always list every doctor that does hip resurfacing.  I believe the medical studies I have listed about the steep learning curve for hip resurfacing.  Also - my doctor, Dr. De Smet of Belgium who has done over 3000 hip resurfacings, suggest a person choose a doctor that has done at least 100 hip resurfacings.

I do agree we are starting to have some very good BHR hip resurfacing surgeons in the US - but few can compare to De Smet of Belgium, McMiinn and  Treacy from the UK, and Bose of India.  The people that have really difficult problems need to be careful who they go to.  I have seen a large number of loose acetabulum cups and other problems occuring since the new US doctors have started doing hip resurfacing.

I personally, would still return to Dr. De Smet for any revision or to have my other hip done.  I am older and want a really experienced surgeon.  Also some people just don't have insurance and can't afford surgery in the US.  That was the first reason I had to go overseas.  Even if I had insurance, I would still have gone to him.

Again, Thank You for taking time to post. I appreciate it and look forward to receiving information from you.

Pat

3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat