+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Still Can't Paint My Toenails  (Read 3187 times)

Elaine Y.

Still Can't Paint My Toenails
« on: March 22, 2008, 11:22:59 AM »
Hi All,
I am right now 8 1/2 weeks postop. When I put my right leg (resurfaced) on my toilet seat to bend over to paint my toenails, I still can't get there like I can with the left leg (no problem leg). It doesn't hurt, it just seems to stop, like it just won't move any more. This ROM was probably the first thing I noticed going before the real bad pain started. It's like I'm stuck there.... Did anyone else have this problem? If so, how long did it take after your surgery before you gained this back. This is also impeding my ability to put on my sock and tie my shoes, although if I stretch really hard I can tie my shoes, but the sock I can't get on without using the sock aide. My PT started a new stretching exercise for me after telling them about it. When I do this exercise, which is lying on my back, grabbing my leg under my knee and pulling toward my face, again, no pain, but it just stops.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated. This is my final obstacle to overcome, as far as I'm concerned. I can do everything else without pain.... of course, I'm not running yet, but I was really never a runner, anyway. Because of this gosh darn snow that won't stop, I am not outside walking like I would like to, but I'm hoping in the next few weeks I should be walking outside. Not sure if that would be the answer or not.

Any thoughts would be most, most appreciated... Thanks

Elaine Y.
RBHR 1/22/08 -- Dr. Eugene Lopez

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Still Can't Paint My Toenails
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 03:35:24 PM »
Hi Elaine

It just take time for your body to recover. If you did not have good ROM before surgery, I think it will take even longer to get it back after surgery.  All those muscles have to heal and then learn to stretch and do what you want them to.

I would not force myself in trying to bend over to do nails or put socks and shoes on.  Gentle stretching is OK, but nothing more.  You are still in early stages of recovery. 

It takes the body almost a full year to heal.  Even at 6 months some people are not back to normal yet.

Be patient - be glad you are out of pain.  The more you do, the more your muscles will start to respond.  Walking is really good for your new hip and recovering muscles. I was told to walk, walk and walk.  I think as time goes on and you get more active this srping, you will be suprised how well you will do.

One fellow dislocated his hip after he was trying to jerk his knee to his chest - he was quite a few months post op.  So be gentle on youself and have patience.  It will all work in time.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

mermaid7

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 04:00:45 PM »
Hi Elaine,

I've just joined this list after being gone from these groups for many months now. I am now about 1 and a half years post op. I went to India for my resurf. I was an active athlete before all this hip pain began and was hoping to return to that lifestyle after. I also took a long time to heal....I do pretty advanced yoga every other day and walk, hike and elliptical trainer every other day. The ROM was the very last thing to come back. And just last week I was feeling that I had finally achieved a quantum leap forward in the ability to flex at the hip, felt a subtle, but deep improvement in my yoga and was quite happy.

But yesterday I took a relatively short hke and was set back with again, some severe pain after a couple of miles. It felt like before the surgery. I am only saying this to let everyone know that every body heals differently and at its own pace....and I guess the harsh reality for me is that we may not all get to 100% as we hoped.

Anyway Elaine, be patient with yourself. The deep flexion seems to be the sticking point. I also felt like the motion got stuck at a certain point and it was frustrating. But after maybe 9 months or so, it eased up and is almost 100% now. You will have beautiful painted toenails on both feet soon.

Suzanne
RBHR 11/06

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 06:19:28 PM »
Hi Suzanne
Welcome to Hip Talk.

Did you go to Dr. Bose?

Thank you for joining the group and posting.  It is alway nice to have some of the more senior hip resurfacing people join the group.  The new people that are thinking about hip resurfacing and the people recently out of surgery enjoy the wisdom of the folks that have been there and done that.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Elaine Y.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 10:43:39 PM »
Hi Pat and Suzanne,

Thanks so much for the feedback. That's all I wanted to hear is that I am not behind. I was thinking maybe something wasn't working out right. And, too, I was thinking I might not ever get that motion back. But you both have given me confidence it will come. If it takes 6 to 9 months to be able to do my own toenails, I'll just have to get pedicures again ;) I really appreciate this site for all the info and all the feedback from everyone. I am out of pain and that is a big plus. Thanks, Pat, for letting me know about the guy who dislocated his hip trying to pull his knee to his chest. I will now go slow and gently. :)

Have a great Easter.

Elaine Y
RBHR-1/22/08-Dr. Eugene Lopez

dgm

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 12:40:15 PM »
Hi there,
I am 6 weeks post op today and feel wonderful.  But when I "graduated" from PT here, my therapist warned me that there will just be some things I will not be able to do anymore!  I was specifically asking about getting back to yoga and that's when his comment came up.  But I thought that was the whole point of BHR vs THR - that you can return to those activities?  I wll say that I did BHR out of town and they aren't common around here.  Could he be thinking of the THR therapy protocol and that they apply to BHR?  I was just a little alarmed.  I realize I won't be doing things right away and have to go slowly but I hope that is in my future. . .

Thanks, Denise
RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 02:06:29 PM »
Hi

Obviously your PT doesn't know about hip resurfacing or you had some very special problem that your doctor has warned them about.

Normally you get a hip resurfacing so you can do anything you want.  Look at the lady 6 stories down on this page   http://www.surfacehippy.info/athletes.php  She is doing yoga.

Look at what the people are doing on this page.  I have a number of photos of people sitting crossed legged on the floor.

Don't let the PT upset you - you need to talk to your doctor to see if there are any restrictions.  You may not be able to do everything right away - a little patients.  By 6 months - 1 years, most people are back to doing all the sports they love.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dgm

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 10:13:29 PM »
Thanks Pat, that is so reassuring!  After feeling so good, it was kind of a let down to hear that from the PT.  I'm glad he was misinformed.

This is always so helpful - I learn something new on your website everyday.  I thought I needed it more before surgery but now I see what a great resource it is post surgery - many thanks!!
Denise
RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson

takilasunrise

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
Elaine...............I am still not able to get my sock on my right foot without my "sock put-er-on-er".  I have finally got to where I can put my shoe on and tie it (though that is still a little tough).  I describe my issue as I can't go any farther, but I also feel a pinching sensation, not pain, but discomfort, when I do try.  My husband and I went to Chicago for the day 2 weeks ago and did some walking.  I told my husband I am appreciating my hip resurfacing more and more each day!  He kept asking me how my hip was doing and I said fine!  No pain from the hip........a little out of breath but that's because I'm so out of shape, but no pain! 

And I know what you mean about the snow!  After Good Friday's 11+ inches of snow, we broke the record for the most snow in my city!  I still remember the old record, back in 1978/79 when I was in high school.  OMG!  Pretty soon I'm going to be telling my kids I used to have to walk to school in snow up to your behind, blah, blah, blah...........oh, wait....I actually did do that!  :)

Elaine Y.

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 10:59:42 AM »
Hi All,

Thanks much again for all the confidence boosting... Marni -- nice to hear that you, also, have to use the sock aide and basically have the same issue as I do -- after all, we did have surgery exactly on the same day and the same hip... I am still in PT, but I believe that will end here soon. My 3-month check-up is on 4/21/08 and I believe that the MD will release me from PT. PT is telling me it just takes time for the muscles to get back to where they were and stretching is good. I believe this, as I do feel weakness on the right side more. Again, I think once I am able to walk outside on a regular basis, this will improve. I was up in WI over the weekend and did a lot of walking around (funny, isn't it, Marni -- you come to my area and I go to yours!!) ;D I was able to do all the walking and dancing and such without any pain. It was great. I was able to stand for a long time, about 2 hours nonstop, and that felt good to be able to stand without having to do all sorts of adjustments to get in a good position to tolerate standing. Yes, I am amazed at how much better I feel!!!!

Everyone keep thinking NO SNOW, so we can get rid of the white and bring on the green!!!!

Elaine Y.
RBHR -- 1/22/08 -- Dr. Eugene Lopez

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat