+-

Author Topic: Study: Running after Hip Resurfacing  (Read 3844 times)

Arrojo

Study: Running after Hip Resurfacing
« on: April 18, 2012, 07:44:31 PM »
I hope I am not duplicating this story, but I think it just came out.  It's pretty bare bones, but I like the numbers!

(from Runnersworld) By Meghan G. Loftus

This study from the American Journal of Sports Medicine has some promising results for runners who are facing hip surgery.

Researchers followed 40 runners, ages 31-61, who underwent hip resurfacing surgery (a procedure developed as an alternative to full hip replacement) for two to 3.5 years after the surgery took place.

After the surgery, 91.6% resumed running, and as of the last follow-up, 33 of the 40 were continuing to run. Those who competed before the surgery continued to compete after it.

Researchers say further research is needed to determine how running affects the hip that underwent surgery.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:45:19 PM by Arrojo »
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

stephen1254

Re: Study: Running after Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 08:05:32 PM »
Yes!!!
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »
Sounds good to me.  I believe this is the abstract (see below).  Would be interesting to read the whole thing.    Thanks for the info Arrojo

Running Activity After Hip Resurfacing Arthroplasty
A Prospective Study
Nicolas Fouilleron, MD*, Guillaume Wavreille, MD*, Nima Endjah, MD† and Julien Girard, MD, PhD*,†‡
+ Author Affiliations

*Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Roger Salengro Hospital, Lille, France
†Department of Sport Medicine, University of Lille, Lille Cedex, France
Investigation performed at the Department of Sport Medicine, University of Lille, Lille Cedex, France
↵‡ Julien Girard, MD, PhD, Orthopaedic and Sport Medicine Department, Lille University Hospital, 2 avenue Oscar Lambret, 59037 Lille Cedex, France (e-mail: j_girard_lille@yahoo.fr).
Abstract
Background: The ability to return to sports activities (especially running) after hip resurfacing arthroplasty seems to be very important for young and active patients who have developed osteoarthritis.

Purpose: To assess the quality of return to sports after hip resurfacing arthroplasty by examining the time spent running, weekly mileage, and the possibility of returning to competition in a series of patients.

Study Design: Case series; Level of evidence, 4.

Methods: A prospective, consecutive series of 202 patients (215 hip resurfacings) was assessed to evaluate the possible resumption of running activity (time spent, weekly mileage, return to competition). Of this initial cohort, 40 patients (43 resurfacings, 21%) practiced running preoperatively. Mean age at hip resurfacing arthroplasty was 50.7 years (range, 31-61 years). No patients underwent revision surgery. A questionnaire was administered to assess the number, type, and level of sports activities. Among patients who practiced running, we determined, preoperatively and at last follow-up, their weekly mileage and whether they were competitors.

Results: At last follow-up, 33 of 40 patients (36/43 hips) still practiced running (P = .74), with 91.6% of them resuming running. Mean average recovery time before running at a level assessed as good by patients was 16.4 weeks (range, 5-36 weeks). The number of patients running more than 4 hours per week increased from 18 to 23. Similarly, the time devoted to running at last follow-up remained high (mean, 3.1 hours per week) with no statistically significant difference from the preoperative period (P = .54). Moreover, patients were still engaged in competition without statistical difference between the 2 periods (P = .82).

Conclusion: Running is possible after hip resurfacing, and runners can even return to some level of competition, but this short follow-up series of hip resurfacing in athletes should be interpreted with caution regarding implant survival.

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

David

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:18:20 PM »
Thanks for that Tin...
"Mean average recovery time before running at a level assessed as good by patients was 16.4 weeks (range, 5-36 weeks)."
That's the only thing that stands out as odd to me.  Even though I started my run/walk regimen at about 16 weeks, I would not have assessed that as "good" by any means.  Looks like we are talking about the "French" though...(only kidding, nothing against the French).
D.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Aerial

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 12:01:51 AM »
I would have to say that I am just short of 19 weeks out now and have started some treadmill running.  I can comfortably run 20 minutes at about a 7:45 pace.  I am not going crazy.  I listen to my body and my body has comfortably handled this.  I started with as little as one minute run, 2 minute walk.  The motion seems to have come back nicely even though I haven't run for about 2 years due to my hip.  I think the treadmill is very forgiving because it is soft and dead flat.  I do not feel ready to run up and down hills yet.  I'll gradually adjust the incline a bit on the treadmill when I feel ready.  In reading the above abstract, I seem to be in the range of recovery when most study participants returned to running.  To say that I am elated about the prospect of running again is an understatement.  :)  I do know the longevity data is not there but life is to short to wear tight shoes.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:04:54 AM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Arrojo

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 12:47:19 AM »
I would have to say that I am just short of 19 weeks out now and have started some treadmill running.  I can comfortably run 20 minutes at about a 7:45 pace.  I am not going crazy.  I listen to my body and my body has comfortably handled this.  I started with as little as one minute run, 2 minute walk.  The motion seems to have come back nicely even though I haven't run for about 2 years due to my hip.  I think the treadmill is very forgiving because it is soft and dead flat.  I do not feel ready to run up and down hills yet.  I'll gradually adjust the incline a bit on the treadmill when I feel ready.  In reading the above abstract, I seem to be in the range of recovery when most study participants returned to running.  To say that I am elated about the prospect of running again is an understatement.  :)  I do know the longevity data is not there but life is to short to wear tight shoes.

Aerial that's awesome. I'd consider 20 minutes at 7:45 pace to be 'good'.  Still, as David points out a mean time before the runners felt their running was good of 16.4 weeks does seem surprising.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:49:08 AM by Arrojo »
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Aerial

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 01:02:19 AM »

Aerial that's awesome. I'd consider 20 minutes at 7:45 pace to be 'good'.  Still, as David points out a mean time before the runners felt their running was good of 16.4 weeks does seem surprising.

I would have to agree.  I feel good under the circumstances.  16.4 weeks does seem early to feel "good". Also, as a Gross hippy, I am playing with fire a bit since he prefers no running until six months.  I feel as if I am very in tune with my body and haven't attempted running more than 2 times a week.  Each time I have felt better and been able to increase duration and intensity only to a comfort level (comfort is certainly related to what one did before....PR is 17:32 in 5k). I am still cautious and have no desire to get to that level or even race again but it does but the ease of getting to 7:45 pace in perspective.  I do not feel ready to run outdoors especially.  I respect my new hip and would love a bit of running to be part of my physical activity for years to come.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:10:57 AM by Aerial »

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »
life is to short to wear tight shoes.

Love that  ;D
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:05:39 PM »
Be careful Aerial, we might beat you up like we did to poor HnH.  Although that was a lot earlier than you.

Good job on the light runnning.  Feels darn good.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
That sounds encouraging.  I'm not a competitive runner by any means, but enjoyed going out for a 3-4 mile run at a 7:30-ish pace (slower as I ran less and less). 

But........and I'm not picking on anyone (Aerial).....I'm not going to attempt to run for at least six months.  I think many of us lifelong athletes are very in tune with our bodies, but I'm not sure any of us can detect the precursors to a femoral neck fracture before it happens.  I suppose those with exemplary bone density are pretty safe, though.  Mine was not great, for reasons I cannot fathom.  So, I'm waiting.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Aerial

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 10:14:13 PM »
That sounds encouraging.  I'm not a competitive runner by any means, but enjoyed going out for a 3-4 mile run at a 7:30-ish pace (slower as I ran less and less). 

But........and I'm not picking on anyone (Aerial).....I'm not going to attempt to run for at least six months.  I think many of us lifelong athletes are very in tune with our bodies, but I'm not sure any of us can detect the precursors to a femoral neck fracture before it happens.  I suppose those with exemplary bone density are pretty safe, though.  Mine was not great, for reasons I cannot fathom.  So, I'm waiting.

Yes I might need to be beat up.  The most interesting thing is with some running, my hip is feeling freer than ever.  I think the constant motion has really loosened the psoas in ways that yoga and even massage has not to this point.  Running has improved my yoga, what a weird thought! BTW I was fortunate to have off the chart bone density (but I am not using that as an excuse for stupidity)  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:38:59 PM by Aerial »

KirkM

• 50 is the new 49...
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 07:50:09 PM »
When my doc says 6 months and the inventor of the device says 1 year, I didn't want to roll the dice in the face of their expertise and run before 7.  I'm just not obsessive enough about running to take such a gamble.  But then, I never got the whole Vegas thing either, so maybe I'm just a stodgy old fart...

Life is a constant stream of choices and we each must live with the results of those choices.  When there is swimming, biking, kayaking, paddling, hiking, walking, endless other physical activities to pursue during a mere half-year, risking the device (according to the docs) for the rest of my life by running "early" wasn't an option when faced with that particular choice.

It would be great if there were hard and fast rules for this thing, a black and white, right and wrong protocol.  There isn't.  So all we can do is what we feel is right for ourselves.  And so, I wish everyone the success they desire with the path of recovery they choose. 
LBHR  Dr. Su   6/11/2011

jb46

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 01:23:59 AM »
Isn't this the reason everyone choose to do a resurfacing? Being able to go back to their regular activities? My ortho surgeon recommended it, even though he doesn't do them...and he had a THR. Said if I wanted to run, go this way. Why is it then news when patients return to running?
Glad to hear that people are getting back to their running though...3 days out...which puts me 6 months away from running for the first time in years.

Aerial

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 01:52:47 AM »
I can see how so many are confused on this issue.  Your doc says one thing but then you read studies and other posts about being cleared to run very early.  It is difficult to know what to do truthfully.  There is such a huge difference between running at 4, 5 or 6 months and waiting a year to run. My question is to what degree do personal characteristics play into ones rentry to running.....things like age, weight, bone density, strength and flexibility gained up to the point of beginning to run again.  I don't think there is a one size fits all (I respect doctors but hopefully more can be teased out on this in the future).  I feel comfortable running on a treadmill or an indoor track for short distances at 19 weeks. I would not want to be running on a hard surface or up and down hills at this point though.  I feel "safer" running than riding my road bike outside.  A fall or being hit by a car scares me more than running!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:55:15 AM by Aerial »

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 11:16:33 PM »
My surgeon, Dr Scott Marwin in NYC, has been the most liberal of all the doctors I've heard of around here.  He had me on the stationary bike on day 7, working on the hospital stairs with one crutch the first week,, told me to throw away the cane at 3 weeks, ride outside on both the road bike and mountain bike at 3 weeks, but when I asked him how soon to start running, he said after your six month check-up.  I asked ''no sooner'' ''no, no sooner, you can run after six months''.  That's two weeks away and my hips are feeling very nearly fully recovered.  I'll be wearing running clothes when I go for the appointment and I'll run right across the street on the grass in a huge county park.  I feel like running fitness will be my problem, not my hips!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

hipnhop

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 05:11:56 AM »
and you guys chewed me out about running 2 miles at 10 weeks. 
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

KirkM

• 50 is the new 49...
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 05:44:17 AM »
In case you missed it on the other thread, Dr. Gross' new study had this in it:

"We found that femoral neck fracture always occurred within 6 months postoperatively (Fig. 1C). Therefore, a return to full sports activity should be delayed until the risk of femoral neck fracture is passed at 6 months postoperatively."

The key word here to me is ALWAYS.  This is not estimation, it is actual results from a study of real failures.

As far as I know, most, if not all of the top HR surgeons agree with what this latest study seems to substantiate.

10 weeks is about 14 weeks short of this study's conclusion.  They are your dice to roll, but I'm just sayin...

LBHR  Dr. Su   6/11/2011

Arrojo

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 02:09:51 PM »
and you guys chewed me out about running 2 miles at 10 weeks.

;D  You are within the 5-36 week range of the study for running characterized as 'good'.  We need to find the guy (or gal) who started running 'good' at 5 weeks in the study and get them to post here so we can really roast them.   :)
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Recent Posts

Re: BHR recovery goal complete..... Ran Boston Marathon by runner
Yesterday at 06:21:18 AM

Completed the 2021 Boston Marathon by runner
Yesterday at 06:05:51 AM

Re: A Fantastic Surgery Experience by LarryBud
October 13, 2021, 09:49:28 AM

A Fantastic Surgery Experience by RollerHockeyDan
October 12, 2021, 12:52:58 PM

Advertisements