+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: repost after 2 years post op  (Read 5797 times)

hipdiver

repost after 2 years post op
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:42:30 AM »
I posted on this site two years ago after having a BHR. I experienced partial paralysis in the inner thigh due to damage to the femoral nerve in surgery. I'm happy to report that after two years the paralysis is about 80% mitigated and am almost back to normal strength in the thigh.
My concern now is that the BHR joint just doesn't feel well. Though the stabbing pains I had before surgery are gone, the joint constantly aches after any use - it's kind of like a sprained ankle that never gets better - I can still walk and ride a bike,etc. but I definitely can't say that it ever feels as good as a normal hip. Is this very common - is it just to much to expect that the hip will ever feel "good" again?
Thanks

John C

Re: repost after 2 years post op
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »
I remember your earlier posts about the nerve damage, and am very happy to hear that it is getting better.
In answer to the question at the end of your posts, for me the answer has many parts. Yes, I think that we can expect that a resurfaced hip should feel "good" again. I would say that mine feels good 99+% of the time. When I am walking, skiing, windsurfing, playing tennis, etc, I usually forget that it is there. Having said all that, I seldom have a day when I am not aware of it at a few points during the day due to some minor twinges or "different" sensations. For me it is like any other major injury that I have experienced that required surgery; the surgeons are getting better and better at repairing the damage, but making it as good as new is pretty tough.
Just like your nerve damage has improved over time, I hope that your hip continues to improve so that it feels good most of the time, but if we push our repaired hips as most of us like to, I am not sure that we can expect them to always feel the same as a normal healthy hip. Certainly way better than living with crippling OA or severely limited activity.
Here's to hoping that you hip just keeps getting better and better.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: repost after 2 years post op
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:11:52 PM »
I am now at about nine months from surgery and concur with most of John C's points!  I forget about my hip most of the time and no longer limp around.  The stabbing pain is gone which is HUGE!  I no longer get woken up at night or have to stop walking/hiking because of pain.

I have soreness around the hip capsule and some in the groin.  I attribute this to the workouts I am able to do with the change in movement.  Because my leg now moves normally during biking and running my muscles have to be retrained and strengthened.

I believe that if I keep working out and doing specific exercises that my hip will feel very close, if not completely normal some day.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz