+-

Author Topic: Jonathan 8 months Post Op Dr. Bose  (Read 4675 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Jonathan 8 months Post Op Dr. Bose
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »
BHR with Dr Bose continued Ė 8 months on

Well its now April 2012, and 8 months have passed since my operation with Dr Bose.

I feel itís time for an update, especially for those considering a hip resurfacing. 

I am 49 years old and not a day goes by that I am not grateful for having done the operation.

It has been one of the best things I have ever done in my life and I appreciate the skills and assistance I received from the people involved in getting me back on my feet.

Today I can do everything. Run, ride, swim and exercise as much as I want and WITH NO PAIN. I can walk around the mall with my family and not be in pain for 2 days following. 

No pain killers. Just getting on with life.

Anyway..  After my 7 days at the hospital I boldly took a 14hr train ride to the West coast of India. Karola was waiting for me. I figured I would be sitting or lying down on the train so why not? With my 2 walking sticks and small back pack. I  managed to get around on busses and rickshaws. I didnít have any particular place in mind but after speaking to the information desk at the train station I decided on Kovalam followed by Kochin. I can recommend both places for recuperation. Walking on the boardwalk along the beach was just what the doctor ordered. Fresh grilled fish at night and walking around all day was a great way to recover.

I keep up the exercises I was shown in the hospital and managed to move over to one walking stick by day 8. I always listened to my body and decided to return to 2 sticks on day 10 as I seemed to be pushing things too fast. It turned out to be a good idea as by day 12,  I was much stronger and easily managed things back on one stick again.

I found the best form of exercise was the walking so I kept it up. Unfortunately my incision was slow to repair and the top 2 cm of the incision was still weeping blood and was slightly darker than the rest of the wound. So I sent the pictures via email to Dr Bose and he recommended as a precaution to get some anti biotic and continue changing the bandages. By day 18 all seemed to be better and the bleeding stopped.

After 3 weeks in India I flew home via Chennai and went back to the hospital for my final checkup.

It was 2.5 weeks after the operation that I stopped using the crutches and was walking (with a slight limp). If I was tired, I would go back to a single stick for that extra support throughout the day.

Back home I continued my stretching at least 3 times a day and every day showed improvement. I took every opportunity to climb stairs and focused on trying to reduce my limp.
I devoted special attention to my left foot, which curled inwards slightly when I walked. Even today, it tends to turn inwards slightly every once in a while when I walk and run.

Over the months I slacked off a bit and stopped doing my stretching and I feel if I had continued my daily workout, my repair time would have been quicker, but thatís life. Even after 8 months I have to stretch otherwise things seems stiff, but that is part of my regular exercise regime. I find riding a great way of stretching, and after an hour  or two of riding I feel fantastic. 

I still have my scar, but I put vitamin E cream on it and hope that it will fade over time.

Life is great and just the simple task of putting on socks and shoes makes my day.

I am grateful.

Jonathan

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

Re: Jonathan 8 months Post Op Dr. Bose
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 01:05:31 AM »
Thanks for that Pat, and please let Jonathan know that it's appreciated.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC © 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Re: Can you go running after a BHR? by autoazure
Yesterday at 09:36:25 PM

Re: Infections? by golfmad
Yesterday at 07:13:53 PM

Re: Just Commimg up to 5 Months by golfmad
Yesterday at 07:05:56 PM

Re: Just Commimg up to 5 Months by Granton
Yesterday at 06:24:06 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear