+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Stiff and Numbness 8 weeks post op?? How much longer?  (Read 2342 times)

ZAP

Stiff and Numbness 8 weeks post op?? How much longer?
« on: April 28, 2012, 06:36:37 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm about 8 weeks post op and walking without any assistants. However, I do have a slight limp.  Its not a limp from pain like before surgery but just muscles being weak.   If my head was in the 90 degree position when walking the limp has improved to about 85. When I stopped using the cane it was about 70 degrees.
On my hip were the scar is and upper ligaments feel really stiff and the inner thigh muscle is very weak.  It was so weak about 3 weeks ago, I would get groin pains. Groin pain is gone, but the stiffness is still there. I still can't roll on to scar in bed or on floor do to pain. Almost like the muscles haven't healed.  My questions:

1.  Is the muscles under the scar still healing and thats why it feels stiff and tender to the touch? If not, what is going there?

2. How long will it take to loosen up my hip muscles?

3. I was told by PT that I should be doing a lot of  lateral leg raises  (      http://youtu.be/_XxYq-ZkUQw  ) because it hits the muscles the surgeon cut, but when I do them, I can't walk without a limp for 3 days so I stopped doing them.

4. How long does it take for the numbness under the scar to go away?

Any advice on this issue or your personal experience is appreciated.

Thanks

iain2070

Re: Stiff and Numbness 8 weeks post op?? How much longer?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »
Hi Zap,
First I would say your only 8 weeks post op chill, I am having the same thing with my right side and I had that done 6 months ago, I am also only 4 weeks post op on my left side.. I have been told not to ditch the cain until I can walk with out a limp other wise I will end up with limp for life, the joint is strong the muscle is not.Also I was told that my muscle and my joint has a memory and you have to train your self to walk with a working none broken hip as your brain make's adjustments for the none working hip..It take's time people recover at different time rates, I have a inching scar most days and that is part of the healing and dont forget what your body has gone through.. your leg muscles is 1 of the biggest muscle in your body your hip supports a very complicated machine and heavy..its broken and it need to heal give it time ...Hope this helps

:D

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:53:17 PM »
I think I asked the same thing about the stiffness about the same time as you and I think the answer is that it it should start to loosen up around 12 weeks.  You have to work on it though.  Do the exercises that the PT gives you.  Do the exercises from Mcminn. Stretch, walk, stretch some more.

You should not limp.  If you do, then at some point you have to unlearn the limp.  I was told the first day with the walker to focus on something and to not limp.  If you need to, go back to the walker but, do not limp.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 10:19:52 PM »
The important thing is to walk, and do your exercises. The leg raises were very difficult at first for me, but with practice, they became less excruciating, then tolerable, then I got cocky about them, and now they are part of my overall routine.

If your muscles are not where you want them to be, then exercise is the way there. Another issue that I had under the scar was scar tissue. The PT massaged it consistently, and I think that and the workouts are what broke it up. It will come, you have to help it with leg raises, etc....
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ZAP

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 05:51:02 AM »
Well maybe I should explain a  little further.  When my hip muscles are warm, I  don't limp and can focus on walking properly.  But I do have to focus.  It feels like I have to wake up or get certain muscles firing.  When I cool down, those same muscles stiffen up as if I just did a 40 mile marathon. So the next time, its harder to warm them up.

My PT took my cane away and said, its just because I haven't used those muscles for years and just waking them up again. I also notice I can't stand on my one worked on leg unassisted without serious focus.  My PT said to practice, and when I can stand on the one leg without even thinking about it, I won't lip if I even try. 

From the responses it just seems like the answer is "time".     I just wanted to make sure if my hip should still feel stiff or take so long to warm up after 8 weeks.  If this is normal, I'm good.

midiowa

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 01:18:33 PM »
i do the same thing, iam fine in the morning and most day, at the end of day i get sore and do walk little different , slight limp, because the muscle are tired and rebuilding? but my job is very physical and its to be expected is what ive come to think, iam just pushing forward. we will get back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 10:02:27 PM »
I would work on your walking in a pool assuming your incision has healed totally.  Pool walking is a great way to strengthen your muscles.  If the pool area has a whirlpool I would soothe those muscles afterwards in it.

Chuck

Well maybe I should explain a  little further.  When my hip muscles are warm, I  don't limp and can focus on walking properly.  But I do have to focus.  It feels like I have to wake up or get certain muscles firing.  When I cool down, those same muscles stiffen up as if I just did a 40 mile marathon. So the next time, its harder to warm them up.

My PT took my cane away and said, its just because I haven't used those muscles for years and just waking them up again. I also notice I can't stand on my one worked on leg unassisted without serious focus.  My PT said to practice, and when I can stand on the one leg without even thinking about it, I won't lip if I even try. 

From the responses it just seems like the answer is "time".     I just wanted to make sure if my hip should still feel stiff or take so long to warm up after 8 weeks.  If this is normal, I'm good.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

ZAP

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 11:35:07 PM »
I just finished walking 3.5 miles (65 mins  lol)    up and down hills and concentrated on keeping my head straight and not swaying side to side.  No limping.  For some reason the inside thigh muscle was really weak. Once I got it activated it was great. I could tell in the  first couple steps it wasn't firing because I felt a grown strain. As soon as I concentrated on pushing  off the ground and not using my bad leg as a balancing stick, and my good leg doing all the work, everything was ok.  It feels great because its only been 8 weeks and this is the furthest i've walked in about 7 years.  :) 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:24:07 AM by ZAP »

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 12:07:25 AM »
Now you're doing it!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

phillwad

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 11:24:27 PM »
Good news - At 8 weeks I was walking about 3 miles - felt good.  For me the stretching exercises were key - I still do them 3 to 5 times a week for 20 to 30 mins. Stretching just far enough that I can feel it and holding for a slow count of 15 or 20 - this has made a huge difference for me

Phi ll

ZAP

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 03:17:39 AM »
Good news - At 8 weeks I was walking about 3 miles - felt good.  For me the stretching exercises were key - I still do them 3 to 5 times a week for 20 to 30 mins. Stretching just far enough that I can feel it and holding for a slow count of 15 or 20 - this has made a huge difference for me

Phi ll

WOW!!  Ok I'm on point..  It was 8 weeks last weekend and I walked 5 1/2 Miles.  Got all teary eyed near the end.  It took me 1 hour, 50 minutes.   Today I walked only 3 miles in about 50 minutes.  I don't power walk.  I can't wait too start running.   I also started using a baseball to roll on after my work out and walks. It seems to loosen up the tightness and numbness.

hipnhop

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 11:08:51 PM »
I had a lot of problems doing leg raises. I used a band to life the leg. It took a while to get to the point where there was no pain. The incision area feels like there is a small straw underneath and hurts every once in a while.  Using the foam roller helps but I am too lazy to use it.   
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

ZAP

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 04:41:02 AM »
I had a lot of problems doing leg raises. I used a band to life the leg. It took a while to get to the point where there was no pain. The incision area feels like there is a small straw underneath and hurts every once in a while.  Using the foam roller helps but I am too lazy to use it.   

I don't know if its good advice, but I didn't do them and the strength came back.  9 weeks and I can run on the spot, or skip run.  I used, elliptical, walking, and StairMaster.   StairMaster hit the muscles perfectly.   I even walked 5 1/2 miles last weekend with no pain.  So that exercise might not be necessary.  The hardest thing for me right now, is waiting 3 months, 3 weeks for restrictions to be lifted. 

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats