+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Surgery date change due to infection  (Read 1081 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

morph

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 131
Surgery date change due to infection
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:18:12 PM »
Well last Friday I finally got my surgery date; 14th May which I was really pleased about. However, over the weekend a previous recurring problem I have had with a pinonidal abcess (abcess at the base of the spine, normally caused by ingrowing hair) has reared it's ugly head, the first time for about 6 months I have had the problem - sods law. Well I have to say I started to panic a wee bit knowing how serious infections can be.

I am on antibiotics (since Monday) but basically there is no way I would pass my pre med which is due to be on Thur. So the surgery date has been put back to 7th June. Three weeks less recovery time before the twins arrive (due Aug 14th).

This is not a major problem, just very annoying and frustrating. The thing that concerns me is if this infection crops up sometime in the future, will it put my new prothesis at risk? I am aware of there being caution over dental work. Any advice on this would be most grateful.
LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

hernanu

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3895
Re: Surgery date change due to infection
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 05:17:09 PM »
Best thing would be to talk to your doctor. I take antibiotics every time I'm going to the dentist and will continue to do so. Talk to the doctor and get your mind clear on the subject.

Sorry about the delay, it will be here in due time, but I understand how annoying it is.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

morph

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 131
Re: Surgery date change due to infection
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:32:27 AM »
cheers hernanu, I will check - I guess every surgeon has their preferred protocol. Infections of one sort or another are quite common so I would have thought that it is unlikely to cause a problem, but during surgery it is critical to be clean. I agree with your sentiments on dental work, I suppose the thing is with this it can crop up anytime unexpectedly. I asked the nurse she said over thousands of cases she has never known of a case where the prothesis had to be removed for such a thing. Just worrying over nothing probably. The delay is a tad frustrating but best being safe than sorry, I think I need to focus on something else for a wee while.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:33:41 AM by morph »
LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

kamoynsgi

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 75
Re: Surgery date change due to infection
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:34:22 PM »
Sorry to hear that your op has been put back, it must be very frustrating to be focussing on a date and then have to reconsider.  Never mind it will be here soon.  Looks like you have done a lot of research on your options, which i think helps you prepare for what's ahead.  All the best for next month.
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

Kiwi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 328
Re: Surgery date change due to infection
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 12:34:32 AM »
Sure is frustrating getting postponed - I was too for 3 weeks as I caught bronchitis, but for some reason it tempered my anxiety a few degrees. There was more eagerness to get on with by the time it eventually came around I guess. Plus more time to get set up at home for post op.
Good luck & keep us posted.
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

nekko

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 101
Re: Surgery date change due to infection
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »
Hi morph,

I had my surgery about one year now and before that, it has been postponed for a hard sinusitis. I have just to take some antibiotics and wait for a couple of weeks. You will probably have to do the same. Be patient and you will have you surgery in optimal conditions.

Good Luck.
Nekko
Conserve+ cemented, May 12-2011, Pr Migaud, CHu Lille

 

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats

Powered by EzPortal