+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Suggestions for abdominal/back exercises?  (Read 2516 times)

Miguelito

Suggestions for abdominal/back exercises?
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:08:01 AM »
Hello. I am at 3+ weeks, recovery proceeding mostly normally. One of the problems I am having with sleeping is that my lower back has been bugging me whenever I lay down for too long (i.e. when sleeping). I have had this problem on and off for years and it generally happens when I don't work out for awhile.

As you may know Dr. Gross is somewhat conservative on exercising for the first six months. Does anyone know of some abdominal strengthening exercises I could do to help my back (that wouldn't endanger my hip)? Would limited range crunches be a problem? Or should I just tense the muscles, etc.?

Thx,

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: Suggestions for abdominal/back exercises?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:15:50 PM »
Mike-

I am not sure abdominals will help much with what you are describing.  I had very strong abdominals after surgery and would still get the back pain when lying in the same position too long.  I think it is the fact that the hip doesn't allow us to roll into new positions to relax those muscles.  I found that putting a pillow under the knees, then to pillows, then no pillows helped a ton.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Miguelito

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 05:03:55 PM »
Thanks for replying Dan. Anyone else? I'd really like to know if crunches would be okay to do. I think they'd be alright.
Thx,
Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:07:07 AM »
Mike, it's still early in the game, I found crunches were not the most challenging things for recuperation to strengthen your core.

I did reverse planks (knees at 45 degrees, bring your butt up off the bed, floor, wherever, back down slowly). Also, side leg lifts, knee up towards the chest until any kind of resistance.

After four weeks, in outpatient PT, we started working on more challenging stuff. One particularly tough little exercise for the core is the 'dead bugs' exercise. At first I could only do a few, at 8 weeks I was up to about 30, but it was never easy. I still do the suckers, but they still do kick my behind.

I find crunches to be much easier than dead bugs, but I did do a lot before the surgery.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

bilateralbliss

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:52:23 PM »
what are cruchies and dead bugs H?
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »
what are cruchies and dead bugs H?

Hey bliss, this is the dead bugs exercise:

• Lay on back, bring both knees and arms up 90 degrees to the ground
  • Stretch one leg out without touching the ground.
  • Simultaneously stretch the opposite arm in the opposite direction.
  • Once you reach as far as you can, bring the arm/leg back and do the same with the other arm/leg
  • Repeat

Should be done without dropping your feet to the floor. Start slowly - I did 3 repetitions of 5 at first, then upped it to the point where I do (now) about 3 repetitions of 30. It is a great core exercise.

Stomach crunches are situps with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor, only lift your upper body as far as lifting your shoulders slightly off the ground. They are meant to get the best of a situp, the core work, without putting the stress on your back that a traditional situp does.

In the case of crunches, I find it best to be light on your neck support, not use your hands to pull on your head/neck, and to choose a focus point about 45 degrees in front of you, then keep your eyes on that, allowing your neck to move while focusing. For me, this avoids neck aches / cricks from straining the neck while doing these.

Again, the number of these is not important, just strengthening your core. Do them at a medium pace, allowing your muscles to work. The more you do, the more you can do, little by little.

I've been doing them for a lot of years, but a good target initially is 3 sets of 10. An old girlfriend who got her black belt with me would do 400 to warm down after a workout. Amazing.

Go easy with any of these exercises, especially if you haven't done them before. Think of them as long term habits.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:57:19 AM by hernanu »

bilateralbliss

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »
wow, thanks so much H, that`s really kind and helpful of you :)
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 02:02:06 PM »
No problem, bliss - remember these exercises are meant for the core, and with time and repetition you will be able to do more and more. Patience gets you there.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat