+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: 2 weeks post op. pain  (Read 1979 times)

georgemilchick

2 weeks post op. pain
« on: May 16, 2012, 12:47:59 AM »
well its 2 weeks since surgery.im walking,but lots of numbness and pain.extreme burning in heel,at night.soreness in knees and thighs during day while trying to walk or just get out of bed.the numbness is mainly around incision and down side of leg which seems very consistant. is this the norm for week two? starting to feel this hip resurfacing might not have been a good idea,much worse off now than  before surgery. any thoughts? thanks george

Dannywayoflife

Re: 2 weeks post op. pain
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 12:59:33 AM »
Hi George,
               Welcome to the group. As far as the numbness goes I've heard that it can be a side effect from the surgeory that can last a while. To be honest what you describe sounds fairly normal to me (but I ain't no surgeon!). Your body has had a massive amount of trauma inflicted on it to do the op. So your bound to hurt for a while. However if your unhappy and your pain is bad I would speak to your surgeon as they might be able to alter your meds or something.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

georgemilchick

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 01:11:06 AM »
stopped pain meds on day4,just useing tylenol now. need to get back to work in a few weeks.george

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 01:21:06 AM »
What do you do for work? If your in any doubt about your pain speak to your doc
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 02:08:02 AM »
As with any surgery every patient is different, I have a neighbor that had a lot of pain post op and he still has numbness over a month post-op, he received a THR.

The numbness comes from all the work done in and around the nerves, that should begin to wane, the burning in the heel sounds a little bit different than what others have talked about, although you could be getting some defered pain (burning).

If this continues call your doctor.

Also, check out the symptoms for blood clots just to make sure.

Chuck

well its 2 weeks since surgery.im walking,but lots of numbness and pain.extreme burning in heel,at night.soreness in knees and thighs during day while trying to walk or just get out of bed.the numbness is mainly around incision and down side of leg which seems very consistant. is this the norm for week two? starting to feel this hip resurfacing might not have been a good idea,much worse off now than  before surgery. any thoughts? thanks george
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

John C

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 05:54:11 AM »
Hello George,
Firstly, I agree with everyone who has said to check with your doctor. This is not a good time to be left wondering about things, because as you are learning, your fears and imagination can run wild.
Having said that, I can relate to much of what you are saying. Week two was the low point for me, with many questions in my mind about whether I had done the right thing. I still could not get around without two crutches, and still needed fairly heavy pain meds. Tylenol would not make a dent for me at that point. I definitely had the sore heel, which seemed to be a combination of swelling moving down into my foot, and soreness in my heel from constant weight on it while having to sleep on my back. The good news, hopefully for both of us, is that I started turning the corner by week four, and by six weeks I was off walking aids and pain meds. At that point I started to know that I had done the right thing and was going to be okay.
A perspective that helped me was to remember that if I had been in a serious car accident that involved large lacerations through deep muscle layers, a dislocated hip involving the leg being turned around 90 degrees, and emergency surgery to try to put me back together with metal parts, I would expect to still be in tough shape after just two weeks, if even out of the hospital yet. What we went through was not that different, so accept how much trauma your body has been through, and give it time to heal. For many of us, somewhere around four  weeks was when our bodies started to come out of trauma mode, with many months of healing after that; at least six months for the bone, and up to 18 months for the soft tissue.
You have embarked on a long journey of healing, and at two weeks, your body is still in emergency trauma mode. Since I am now skiing, windsurfing, playing tennis, etc. for many hours every day; I now know that I did the right thing, and hopefully so will you in time.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 11:41:24 AM »
Great words of wisdom from my fellow hippys above.  As John states, it is a long journey of healing absolutely for sure, and Chuck's point that everyone is different is spot on also.  I'm 7+ months out on #1 and almost 3 months on #2, and the journey continues.  Patience is the hardest and most important part of this recovery.

Having been a pain management patient for many years due to serious neck injury and surgeries, I can only add to stay ahead of the pain, with ice, meds, etc, because if you are in pain, you will not heal as fast.  I iced all waking hours for 4-5 weeks, and took the prescribed doses of meds as long as I needed, about 2 weeks after each surgery.  I'm doing really well all things considered.

Thanks

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

ZAP

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 04:35:04 AM »
stopped pain meds on day4,just useing tylenol now. need to get back to work in a few weeks.george

I never understood this..  If you're in pain take them.  I understand T3 s are the worse, so stay away from those, but some feel pretty good.  I tried to turn everything into a positive know matter how bad it was.  For example, I remember when I got my decapitator, and the nurse starting laughing when I said, "this is great, I can drink as much water as I want and never leave the bed"  same thing with the meds.  I don't do drugs, so some nice pain killers, was like a party for me. :)

phillwad

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 10:17:33 PM »
John

hang in there - most of us had some pain that should have gone away but seemed to hang around longer than we thought it should.  I had pain travel down different parts of my leg over a few weeks - it was strange - gone now :-)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 11:06:08 PM »
George, don't give up just yet, and like others have said if you need pain medication, take it. Don't stay in pain.  Talk to your doctor.  Two weeks isn't that long of a time and your still healing.  Take it easy, relax, take your pain meds and I bet you'll be feeling better soon
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

ZAP

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 04:45:05 AM »
Im 9 weeks out and still take pain med every now and then..  If I over work my hip in the gym or do a 5 mile walk and in sore pain after, I'm taking a pill..  :)  I see nothing wrong with this. 

georgemilchick

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 12:01:09 AM »
i just dont think i should feel this sore,not doing much just light walking with my crutches to get out doors some.im am a ra sufferer and have a very frozen left shoulder.do you think this surgery has made my ra symptoms worse? i just havent ever had such stiffness all over before.anyone else with ra do resurfacing?thinking of calling my rumatologist and asking what she thinks.as far as nacotics are concerned i never used them before after 22 years of ra.always found a way to recover using high dose fish oil,and thylonol. thanks george

midiowa

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 03:24:02 PM »
i took nothing from day 4, iced and tylenol pm's to sleep better, the faster you get of any pain killers the better, just move, move move,ice, ice ,ice. it will be sore. look what they done. but i believe that i feel the way i do [awesome] because i made myself go and not dwell on how shitty i felt, its also a big mental game. just make your self know you will fell better soon and not get caught up in all the negative crap. it will get better soon.Brad.

georgemilchick

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »
thanks for vote of confidence.i am feeling a little better today,got out and walked about 2 miles,slow but kept going on crutches. i just hope i dont suffer to bad tonight.your right about The Tylenol pm they do help me sleep a little better at night. George

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear