+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Contraindications of Hip Resurfacing  (Read 1244 times)

mhiller

Contraindications of Hip Resurfacing
« on: May 16, 2012, 02:01:44 PM »
I Have been told by one doctor (Dr. Schmalzreid) that I have an anteverted femur which could increase ware problems if I choose to do a hip resurfacing opposed to a THR.   I was not told this by the doctor I first saw but he was conservative being that I was a women (although not excluded due to any specific reason).  Has anyone else had this issue and did they choose to go ahead with resufacing anyway and what were your results?  I was ready to do the resurfacing until this latest comment by Dr. Schmalzreid.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:12:36 PM by Pat Walter »

Dannywayoflife

Re: Contraindications of Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »
Get several opinions. There are several of the top surgeons who will do a consult via email for fee. De smet, Bose and gross will do this. With things like dysplasia you can still get a great outcome but you need to go to the best surgeons as its even more difficult to perform the op than normal. I actually had a kind of dysplasia my acetabulum was very shallow but I had one of the best in the world doing the op so to him it was very straightforward
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

triathlete98

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »
Yes I had this and the dr said it might be a problem when going in but post op no problems to worry about.  He stated if anything I would lose some internal rotation.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 08:47:09 PM »

Dr. Schmalzried is an excellent hip resurfacing surgeon but is very conservative in candidate selection, especially when it involves women.  A person can actually get opinons of 3 top hip resurfacing surgeons and not have them agree.  If you are young and want to stay active without restrictions by having a hip resurfacing, I would suggest getting input from several other surgeons.  You can see some experienced surgeons in CA like Dr. Ure, Dr. Ball or Dr. Klug.  Take a look at the list

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php#California_

Hip resurfacing is not the only solution, but I feel it is the best for a more natural gait, bone conservation and having no restrictions.  Large ball THRs are good solutions, but not quite as good in my opinon.  People with MOM THRs usually have no restrictions, but still have a large part of their femur bones cut off.  Then the bone does not regenerate and act normal with a hunk is cut off and a large stake is driven into it.  Dr. Brooks of the Cleveland Clinic explains it well in the video interviews I did with him

http://www.surfacehippy.info/shvideos/doctor-interviews-Patricia-Walter.php

I hope that helps.  Keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

mhiller

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 03:40:38 AM »
Thanks for all of your in put! The interviews were also very helpful.   Thanks!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear