+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anteverted Femur  (Read 1058 times)

mhiller

Anteverted Femur
« on: May 16, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »
Are there people out there who were told due to an anteverted Femur, hip Resurfacing is not advised?  I am a 52 year old women with hip dysplasia and was all set to schedual hip resurfacing with Dr. Schmalzreid and he seemed hesitant for the above reason.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:23:59 PM by mhiller »

Dannywayoflife

Re: Anteverted Femur
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum! Hip dysplasia doesn't nessisarily mean HR can't be done successfully. However for a complex case as they can be you need to go to the very best surgeon that you can as otherwise you may be told you'll get a bhr and wake up with a THR.
Most of the top surgeons can tell you from your x rays if your a candidate or not. Personally I wouldn't have much confidence in someone who wasn't positive one way or the other.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Anteverted Femur
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 08:12:13 PM »
Dr. Schmalzried is an excellent hip resurfacing surgeon but is very conservative in candidate selection, especially when it involves women.  A person can actually get opinons of 3 top hip resurfacing surgeons and not have them agree.  If you are young and want to stay active without restrictions by having a hip resurfacing, I would suggest getting input from several other surgeons.  You can see some experienced surgeons in CA like Dr. Ure, Dr. Ball or Dr. Klug.  Take a look at the list  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php#California_

Hip resurfacing is not the only solution, but I feel it is the best for a more natural gait, bone conservation and having no restrictions.  Large ball THRs are good solutions, but not quite as good in my opinon.  People with MOM THRs usually have no restrictions, but still have a large part of their femur bones cut off.  Then the bone does not regenerate and act normal with a hunk is cut off and a large stake is driven into it.  Dr. Brooks of the Cleveland Clinic explains it well in the video interviews I did with him  http://www.surfacehippy.info/shvideos/doctor-interviews-Patricia-Walter.php

I hope that helps.  Keepin touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat