+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deep pressure after a snapping sound in hip 3 weeks resurfacing post op  (Read 4247 times)

encore

I am just 3 weeks post op of having my right hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross in Columbia, SC. I don't have any nightmare stories nor have any bad press for Dr. Gross's procedure. Actually my experience has been very good and am recovering rapidly. I am already walking unassisted around my house with little limp, mainly out of fear, though I still use the cane when walking laps around my big drive way in the country and have worked up to over one half mile already. Last week I did experience a deep "stone bruise" or cramping feeling in my right thight about mid way after over doing it a bit too soon but that has disappeared completely. In the last two days I am experiencing a deep pressure feeling directly in my hip joint that radiates into my right knee upon standing, walking, or positioning my right leg straight forward (with my toes pointing forward). It is a real tight feeling. This happened suddenly after I seemed to temporarily forget about my problems and stepped into my wifes van on the drivers side two days ago with that right leg first. There was an audible "snap" sound with a slightly odd sensation in my right hip that caused no pain, but I yelled anyway just in case there was major discomfort to follow. I immediately felt the feeling of pressure I am describing even as I drove away in the seated position. When I arrived at my destination and stepped out of the van I was expecting something horrible to happen but it didn't. I only felt the pressure in my right buttock/hip area that radiates into the lateral side of my right knee. At this moment I am blaming the experience to a tendon or ligament that might have slipped past the Biomet bearing, or is trying to position itself. The pressure is worse upon my walking around my drive way. I would really like to hear from anyone with a similar story that may have some good news for me! Thank you.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Hi

I have not had the same problem as you have had.  THe only input I can give you is that if there was somthing major wrong - it would really, really, really hurt.  Terrible pain.  So hopefully, it is a muscle or tendon problem that will pass. 

Why don't you call Dr. Gross's office and ask them?  They would have the best answer for you.

Good luck with your recovery.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

encore

Thanks Pat and I appreciate your replying to me.
My wife and I decided that I would call the physicians office early this week if the pressure and tightness persists but it is somewhat better this morning. I feel I am probably overdoing it. it seems after reading these post op stories is that most of the complaints and problems are due to patients jumping into exercises or overdoing PT too soon and with too much intensity. I'm sure I fall right into this group. I'm returning to work tomorrow so I hope it continues to improve.
I am surprised at some of the exercises that a few of the resurfacing post op patients are doing and agree with your opinion that walking is probably the best of exercise/PT choices while allowing the body's own feedback to be the barometer on how little or much needs to be done. Dr. Gross also seems to endorse this philosophy. With that said, mine has been yelling me pretty loud, so I think I'll take my own advice and slow down which seems to be difficult for me because I have spent my entire life pushing myself physically. I've also noticed that other patients like myself have the same or similar active backgrounds.
Thanks again Pat.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
Good Luck.

My doctor, Dr. De Smet of Belgium, always said - listen to your body.  If it complains - you are doing too much. He likes people to walk, walk and walk.   Some people never do any formal PT and they seem to end up in the same place as those that work at it more after 6 months or a year.  I am not talking about the ironmen competitors or marathoners - just the normal people.

Dr. Gross is an excellent surgeon.  I am sure you hip is fine and you will have a great summer!

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stephm5366

I had my left hip done in Charleston, SC in December. I too have a 'popping' in the joint that does not hurt (just thought the popping would stop after the resurfacing) but it does radiate down my outer thigh & into my knee. Sometimes it even goes as far as radiating down the shin. My Doc doesn't seem to be too concerned about it so I just take it easy when it aches. I think it may just be the muscles & tendons still repairing themselves from the trauma of the surgery. My leg was twice its normal size after surgey and I was literally purple from the bruising from my hip down to my knee. Good luck to you.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
Hi Stephm5366

Welcome and congratulations on your new hip too.  There is a lot of healing, muscles trying to get back to normal and liagaments trying to heal too - it just takes time.

Who was your doctor in SC?

Good Luck. 

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

encore

stephm5366 -

Thank you very much for your input. Your experience places me at ease.

Since this happened to me I have been improving with each day. I no longer have the pressure or tightness in that hip and am walking unassisted a mile a day and also started back on my eliptical trainer this past weekend. No more referred pain in my thigh and knee. I'm already able to stay on the trainer for 20 minutes at a very deliberate but steady pace. I truly believe the additional exercise is speeding up my progress, but I surely would not recommend jumping into this suddenly after resurfacing. 

I think you are correct about the trauma of surgery causing the initial problems in my leg and hip as everything is trying to heal but I think it's all becoming further behind me now as the days lapse. I was 3 weeks post op yesterday and am very excited about the progress.

The only symptom I am having at this point is sharp pain in the hip joint upon standing after I've been seated for a period of time. But after a few steps this always wears off.

I can even walk normally up stairs now without "slinging" my right leg up to the next step as I have for the past 6 years! Now that's exciting!

Thanks again for sharing your story and same experience.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
Hi Stephm5366

It is a common problem to have your hip hurt during the first few steps after sitting for awhile.  Mine really started bothering me between 4-6 weeks post op.  Most people will work their way thru it with time.   Others, like myself, have taken to the water for help loosen all the muscles up.  I did a lot of water walking and stretches in the water.  It really helped me quickly and the stiffness never came back.  I have a page with the water exercises my PT had me do here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/poolexercises.php
The exercise pool I used was neck deep and kept at 92 degrees.  It was wonderful.

Many people just do water walking and the stretches in a normal pool, but the warm water is really great if you can find a warm pool.

Sounds like you are doing well.  It just takes time. 

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM