+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Impact From Mountain Biking  (Read 1710 times)

stephen1254

Impact From Mountain Biking
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:39:14 PM »
Now that I'm back on the road bike, the subject of mountain biking has come up. I live in the Lake Tahoe area, where we have many mountain bike trails but they tend to be "lumpy," with lots of rocks and downed trees. I ride a full suspension bike. My question concerns the impact from landing jumps and any other situation where you are off the seat and on the pedals. How does this rate in terms of impact? Does this fall in the same category as running in terms of impact? I've got plenty of stuff to do here, if this is something to be avoided.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Dannywayoflife

Re: Impact From Mountain Biking
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 04:43:39 PM »
I personally would wait till 6 months for that as by then the risk of neck fracture is virtually gone and the bone will be well ingrown to the cup
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 05:09:06 PM »
While I don't think the impact on a mountain bike is any where near the impact of running, the impact of coming off could be disastrous.  I didn't plan to ride the mountain bike until 9 or 10 months and only then because I have a 6 hour race on the one year anniversary of my surgery.  My wife got me going early.  We live in NY and have a house on Long Island and another right outside of Woodstock.  I'm at six months and I'm having a ball on the mountain bike on Long Island where the ground is soft with few rocks to fall on, but I'm staying away from the Upstate trails just in case.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
I agree with wood,
                          the effects of a fall could be dissasterous. In my opinion in the grand scheme of things not worth it. Why potentially risk such a great long term opertunity?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

stephen1254

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 12:37:38 AM »
Very good point that I hadn't thought of. I've actually never fallen off my mountain bike but I agree - why take the risk?
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 06:49:55 AM »
I actually crash all the time.  That's how I know that I'm not quite back yet; I haven't fallen off yet!

Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:45:56 AM »
I just had a bit of a moment on my bike riding back from the gym. There was an ambulance coming up behind of me i looked over my shoulder to see where he was and in doing so cliped the curb. In the process of trying not to crash i must have tensed up my legs involuntarily to steer and this really hurt my inside groon area. Obviously a soft tissue thing and an ice pack has sorted it but had it been several months ago and id fallen hard on the road anything could have happened.
So Stephen in my eyes is being really sensible in not risking it just yet. Just think of the years of pleasure youll get when your totally healed and can ride down the trails like a total loon!!! ;D
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat