+-

Author Topic: Twelve days post-surgery  (Read 1179 times)

krpedm

Twelve days post-surgery
« on: May 20, 2012, 10:14:54 AM »
I just had the Birmingham re-surfacing on my right hip and am 12 days post surgery.  I'm going around on two crutches but it has been pretty difficult.  From reading the previous posts it seems as though I am in the "post-surgery" depressed stage.  Anyone have any words of wisdom on rehab and therapy?

stephen1254

Re: Twelve days post-surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 10:41:01 AM »
Day 11 was the day for me "it" hit. Fortunately the rate of recovery seemed to accelerate from there and by day 14 I was off all walking aids. Although the rate of recovery may seem slow, remember that each day you are building from a new high you achieved the day before. The first 2 weeks were tough but it definitely improves from there.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

midiowa

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 10:55:13 AM »
hey, im 4 1/2 months now, feeling awesome and doing just about everythng i want to do, just be smart about it, it will come.  i used to think why did i do this. now i know , you will get pass all the negative stuff soon and on your way to feeling good again. it seems slow i know but hang in there, each week you will feel better. Brad.

Boomer

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »
krpedm - It is very normal to hit the wall physically, and mentally a number of times during the first two weeks due to lack of sleep, exhaustion, pain etc. There's no magic formula, but there are a number of things that will help you feel better about where you are. Keep moving, any kind of movement is helpful. Try to spent time outside. Blue skies, sunshine and fresh air do wonders for the spirit. Keep the company of people you enjoy as much as possible. The time I spent alone was the worst for me. And finally, play your favorite music. Seems like I lived with my ear buds in during the early stages of my recovery.

You are very close to turning the corner. Almost everyone reports something special, and positive happening at two weeks. It took me three weeks to get the first really good day because I had to take stomach injections for the first 20 days. The last day of injections was the day the happiness started coming back. Soon you will start sleeping better, which is also a huge boost.

Hang in there. Be sure to post when you have your first special day. We Hippys love the good stuff.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Rob6297

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 11:25:23 AM »
Definitely try to have positive thoughts, and keep people around who take your mind off of your temporary disabilities!  Only dwell on the positives and you will remarkably increase your recovery.  You do not have much longer left before you will start recovering in leaps and bounds! Stay moving, ice a lot, and stretch as best you can.
Good luck
Joe
Joe
RBHR 4/20/12 Dr. Su and Victoria

John C

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 03:34:37 PM »
Yes, that second week was pretty tough for me as well. Lots of worrying if I had done the right thing, was something wrong, etc.
Like everyone has said, it will start getting better soon. I was a slow healer in the beginning, still on two crutches up to about 4 weeks, but by six weeks I was traveling and starting a remodel project, so things will turn around.
Here are three suggestions for where you are in the time frame, that others have mentioned:
1. Take at least two scheduled outside walks every day (crutches, cane, or whatever), preferably in a beautiful location.
2. Whatever rehab you are doing, set up a regular schedule that you stick to. A regular schedule gives purpose and meaning to each day.
3. As soon as your scar is cleared by your surgeon, add regular pool sessions to your routine. Stationary bikes are also great. Both of these will allow you to get your heart rate up, and maybe even get some endorphins to kick in, both of which will do wonders for your spirits.

While it is very important at this point to pace yourself and not overdo it, it was also important for many of us to approach the healing process with the kind of purpose and discipline that you would have in training for an upcoming event. Don't push too hard yet, but do set up a daily routine which may include outdoor walks, PT, stationary bike, pool time, naps, icing, etc, that gives focus and purpose throughout your day.
In just a few weeks, things will look much better to you.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

krpedm

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 06:33:43 PM »
Thanks for all of the encouraging replies!  It seems like approaching this as an ongoing project is the best advice.  I'll keep you posted.

ZAP

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 04:31:30 AM »
Do your exercises.  You can also monitor how much stronger you're getting with the exercise. Counting reps for example. You'll notice a improvement about every 48 hrs.  Sometimes its not even muscle getting stronger but swelling going down which makes the exercises easier  to do.

Recent Posts

Re: Second BHR with Dr. Gross by PalmettoGolfer
Yesterday at 10:35:21 AM

Re: Second BHR with Dr. Gross by BTMachine
January 26, 2022, 03:46:01 PM

Re: Second BHR with Dr. Gross by YetiKing
January 25, 2022, 10:54:16 PM

Are lighter loads for higher reps are safer post surgery? by Bubbish
January 25, 2022, 01:49:09 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear