+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 8 days post op  (Read 6585 times)

Rach41

8 days post op
« on: May 23, 2012, 11:30:16 PM »
Omg the nights. In a lot of pain tonight my right groin and my knee going down my calf to my ankle. Have been for a little walk, well car to restaurant lol.Have been doing my physio today, first proper day. I am all pain killered out but nothing is making me feel more comfortable. Is this normal? If this pain comes with doing physio etc it doesn't half put u off! Feels a lot like old OA pain 😞
Accis right hip resurfacing on 15.05.2012 by Mr Woodnutt, Morriston Hospital, Swansea

hernanu

Re: 8 days post op
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 12:31:39 PM »
Hi Rach, the first couple of weeks are not easy, so it is normal to have some issues with pain and discomfort.

It is hard to get going, but it is important to walk, get up and move around. I could only do about 50-70 step walks initially, in my long hallways. I usually walked about 3 - 5 times per day this way, but also got up and walked quite a bit inside my apartment.

I actually found it easier to stand and walk than to sit initially, because of the discomfort. If the pain meds are not working, maybe you need something different. I would get a hold of your doctor's office, let'em know how you feel.

This is not the time to be bashful about this, be pushy - you don't need to be in more pain than is necessary, and it detracts from your recovery.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 02:05:27 PM »
Rach;

Night time was worse for sure.

In addition to pain meds, I was prescribed muscle relaxers, zanaflex, that helped me more than the pain pills in some instances.  At night I would place a pillow under my knees, put a couple fresh icepacks on just before bed, and assure I had the right amount of meds.  I also relied heavily on OTC tylenol, 8-hour variety, which lasted throughout the night.

Those things helped alot with night pain and discomfort and allowed me to sleep better.

Dan

LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Rach41

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »
Hi both, yes it is funny yr leg just feels like toothache all the time. My husband went out and bought me a pillow for people who love to sleep on their backs today! I am also going to take a couple of my pre-op painkillers tonight. I will then get in touch with GP tomorrow. Just a quick one, I have obviously showered but how long did u wait until bathing? As I have heard arnica bath soak is supposed to be amazing the QVC kind lol
Accis right hip resurfacing on 15.05.2012 by Mr Woodnutt, Morriston Hospital, Swansea

John C

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 03:33:11 PM »
They generally do not want you soaking, bathing, swimming, ect., until the incision is completely healed and sealed, including no remaining scabs, stitches, or staples. The risk here is of infection. When you talk to your doctor about adjusting your pain meds so that you are more comfortable, you might confirm his instructions for soaking/bathing.
Getting some good sleep is important at this point, so be sure that they help you out with this.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

stephen1254

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 04:14:14 PM »
Have you tried sleeping in a recliner? That gets your leg well up in the area and helps with swelling?
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal