+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recliner for comfort and sleep  (Read 8484 times)

shananagins

Recliner for comfort and sleep
« on: May 31, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »
I am trying to get ahead of items I may need or want for recovery. I have read that a recliner is probably the best way to sleep and be comfortable post surgery. I am looking at a reclining massage chair with 190 degree inversion which puts your feet above your head. I would think that would help with swelling. The massage feature may help with aches and will certainly help with my back issues. Are there any suggestions for types of recliners or any issues with a massage chair during recovery?

stephen1254

Re: Recliner for comfort and sleep
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
I think you are right on track with the caveat that it has to be comfortable - as in really comfortable. When you get it home practice getting in and out of it without using your soon to be operated on leg - I wish I had done that.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »
I had a bit of small simple recliner and it was great, the hip is going to be pretty tight both on the fron and back and ealry on you'll want to be able to keep you legs bent a little.  The smallness of the recliner for me, was nice for packing ice in aournd the hip, but you can do that with towels and pillows.  You might as well get something good, hey it's an excuse to get a nice comfy chair to grow old it.  Well, only temporarilly.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dee Dee

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:46:14 PM »
I am using the outdoor anti gravity lounge chair from sam's club.  It was only $75.  My hubby can move it easily from bedroom to living room.  It is adjustable and strung with bungy cord for comfort.  I use a travel neck pillow to support my neck while sleeping.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

metoo

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 03:20:44 PM »
Some kind of recliner is a good idea.   Sleeping on my back in bed got old and being able to move to the recliner was a welcome change.  The first week after surgery I needed to urinate every 2 or 3 hours during the night.  I would sleep a couple of hours in the bed, then move to the recliner for a few hours before moving back to the bed.   It is easier for me to get up from the recliner than it is to get up out of bed.

For variety, I would put a couple of pillows under my knees while in bed.  Still, I got stiff and uncomfortable after sleeping on my back for a couple of hours.  Moving to the recliner was something I looked forward to.

metoo
Right hip.  Dr Gross, 5/16/2012

Danlalane

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 09:40:21 AM »
I rented a golden lift chair. Loved it, sept in it for first week and also rested/napped, elevated etc
Left BHR Dr. Su 60MM Cup 54MM Head 3/16/2023

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal