+-

Author Topic: Recliner for comfort and sleep  (Read 7025 times)

shananagins

Recliner for comfort and sleep
« on: May 31, 2012, 04:58:56 PM »
I am trying to get ahead of items I may need or want for recovery. I have read that a recliner is probably the best way to sleep and be comfortable post surgery. I am looking at a reclining massage chair with 190 degree inversion which puts your feet above your head. I would think that would help with swelling. The massage feature may help with aches and will certainly help with my back issues. Are there any suggestions for types of recliners or any issues with a massage chair during recovery?

stephen1254

Re: Recliner for comfort and sleep
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:14:09 PM »
I think you are right on track with the caveat that it has to be comfortable - as in really comfortable. When you get it home practice getting in and out of it without using your soon to be operated on leg - I wish I had done that.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 08:20:01 PM »
I had a bit of small simple recliner and it was great, the hip is going to be pretty tight both on the fron and back and ealry on you'll want to be able to keep you legs bent a little.  The smallness of the recliner for me, was nice for packing ice in aournd the hip, but you can do that with towels and pillows.  You might as well get something good, hey it's an excuse to get a nice comfy chair to grow old it.  Well, only temporarilly.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dee Dee

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 03:46:14 AM »
I am using the outdoor anti gravity lounge chair from sam's club.  It was only $75.  My hubby can move it easily from bedroom to living room.  It is adjustable and strung with bungy cord for comfort.  I use a travel neck pillow to support my neck while sleeping.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

metoo

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 07:20:44 PM »
Some kind of recliner is a good idea.   Sleeping on my back in bed got old and being able to move to the recliner was a welcome change.  The first week after surgery I needed to urinate every 2 or 3 hours during the night.  I would sleep a couple of hours in the bed, then move to the recliner for a few hours before moving back to the bed.   It is easier for me to get up from the recliner than it is to get up out of bed.

For variety, I would put a couple of pillows under my knees while in bed.  Still, I got stiff and uncomfortable after sleeping on my back for a couple of hours.  Moving to the recliner was something I looked forward to.

metoo
Right hip.  Dr Gross, 5/16/2012

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Advertisements

HTML ezBlock

View My Stats