+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Simultaneous Bi-Lateral - Here we go!  (Read 3506 times)

SteveJ

Simultaneous Bi-Lateral - Here we go!
« on: June 09, 2012, 09:29:59 AM »
Hello all!
I would like to introduce myself; I’ve been an avid follower of Surface Hippy for quite a while now and scheduled for  simultaneous Bi-Lateral Resurfacings  at the ROH in Birmingham UK next week. I’m grateful for all the useful information and views posted here.
My story is very similar to many; I’m just 46 years old and have been very sporty (Karate until mid-twenties then Triathlon and Cycling) up until I started noticing symptoms about 6 years ago while running. The initial pain was a sharp stabbing or pinching sensation in the front of either hip, at that stage predominately the right side, which eased if I continued running. Probably like we all do, I treated it as an overuse injury for a while, and after a year or two of trying various things went to a doctor.  It didn’t take long to be diagnosed with Osteo-arthritis. Although the diagnosis was clear cut, the treatment options were not and from what I’ve read on this site, my experience is unfortunately quite common.
In the early stages of this journey, the advice I was given was to bear it for as long as possible and then go for THRs; basically “stop doing everything you love doing and mark time for an indefinite period and then we’ll give you THRs but then running isn’t recommended” – I think a few of you will have heard this before!  I have not stopped sport and was running 5K every other day until about 2 years ago. Maintaining activity has come at a cost of increased NSAID use; in my case Diclofenac – you don’t realise how effective NSAIDs can be until you stop taking them. The drugs made it possible for me carry on with sport but probably masked the pain too much and maybe let my arthritis progress too far. 
The first I heard of Resurfacing came by chance when a doctor I saw for painkillers mentioned it as an option; he was a fan because he had one!  Unfortunately he wasn’t my regular GP, but it gave me something else to research. It then became clear that some doctors like resurfacing, some like THR; doctors’ arguments for and against seem to be quite polarized and it has been difficult to get a balanced view. Luckily for me, I had a MRA Scan 18 months ago; it ruled out hope of an arthroscopy, but the radiographer also had a BHR and recommended Surface Hippy. I’ve been quietly checking out the posts ever since and now it’s almost my turn!
The surgeon recommended stopping the Diclofenac. It is good that I’m so close to the op now because the pain has increased significantly, the co-codamol prescribed in-lieu is nowhere near as effective. I’ve spent a lot of time researching the pros and cons of surgery and the relative risk involved; I am happy it’s the right choice for me but I’ve never been cut open before and am a bit daunted by the prospect. The additional pain I have now helps; it confirms that no way do I want to be in my current state for the rest of my life – so I better do something about it!   
Anyway, long post so I won’t go on any longer now.  Just a first question, I’m 100% weight bearing with sticks ASAP post Op. Bearing in mind I’ll be a simultaneous Bi-Lateral and I know everyone is different, can I have the benefit of peoples experiences. Having both hips done together suits my circumstances; but I don’t expect it to be easy.

Steve
Bilateral BHR 14 June 2012 ROH Birmingham, UK. Mr Treacy

Rob6297

Re: Simultaneous Bi-Lateral - Here we go!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 11:24:46 AM »
Steve,
I'm guessing you are being operated on by Ronan Treacy?  If so, you probably have the best, or one of the best surgeons possible. You have already started out on the right hip, or left in your case!  :).   I've only had one hip done, but it was a lot less of an ordeal than I anticipated, and was on my feet full weight bearing hours after the operation.  It does take a couple weeks to feel completely normal again, but all the aggravation and anticipation is all worth it after you regain your ROM!  I know you want to hear from the same day bilaterals and I'm sure they will let you know it's tough for a short time but is SO worth it now!  Woodstock is an athlete who had bilateral same day, and is very active, may want to consult him.  Hernanu is a bilateral too, not the same day though, but has a wealth of info! I wish you well on your upcoming surgery! Don't be too nervous, it was my first time being cut too and it really wasn't a big deal.
Joe
Ps.  I felt the pain was not much different than the day after a marathon....real tight with minor/medium throbbing. Just to give you an idea of what it feels like.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:28:48 AM by Rob6297 »
Joe
RBHR 4/20/12 Dr. Su and Victoria

SteveJ

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »
Thanks for the reply Joe, you guessed correctly; the choice was partly a recommendation from a doctor with a BHR and backed up by all the info picked up on this site. My ROM is terrible at the moment, I've watched it deteriorate over the last few years.  The last x-ray revealed AVN in the right hip too - maybe another reason not to rely on NSAIDs for too long!

I've not actually done a marathon - yet! I did the Great North Run about 7 years ago (1/2 Marathon), and I've killed my legs in various other ways in the past so I think I know what you mean!

Steve

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 11:59:11 AM »
Steve, you've made a very positive move to take control of your life. Mr. Treacy is one of the best, you are in very capable hands.

The best thing to do is realize that it will be a long recovery, but encouraging in that you see results right off. The pain will be gone, replaced by comparatively short term discomfort and effort to recover.

Having been in sport, you know how to overcome adversity with your body, my advice would be to add one item to it that is difficult for all of us who have had this done - patience. The recovery is full of victories, but they have to be pursued in measured steps, both literal and figurative. As a simultaneous bilat, you will have more of a challenge initially, but in the longer term have the bonus of being completely done from the outset.

Congratulations and use this board as often as you need to, we have been where you are and get you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

SteveJ

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 12:51:04 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement Hernanu, I'm gritting my teeth to get through the Op; then stand by for a flood of questions!

Steve

morph

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 02:09:23 PM »
I am 2 days post left hip op and I can tell you, for me,  the op was no big deal. Joe's description of the pain sums it up for me so far. You do get used as a pin cushion with all the blood samples etc. but really nothing to get stressed about especially if you are young and fit which it sounds like you are. It can be tough to move about initially but already I am feeling improvements, you just have to take your time. I am sure some of the same day bilat men and women can fill you in to what to expect post op.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 05:30:49 PM by morph »
LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 02:11:39 PM »
Steve good luck! Your in THE best hands though with Ronan Treacy and Christine. I had my left bhr implanted by Mr Treacy 6.5months ago and am nilow doing great!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

bilateralbliss

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 08:44:46 PM »
Hi Steve, "same day bi-lateral" mine were dec 6th last year by Derek Mcminn in Birminham. Can understand everything you mention. To be perfectly honest the thought of being cut open I didn`t dwell on, yes I was scared of having a 6 hour operation but was grateful Mr Mcminn agreed to do both. I didn`t have much time to think about the op, after having the consultation on the wednesday, was booked in for nine days later. In actual fact they then called me to come in the following Monday!! Which probably did me a huge favour. Like you the worse part was being unable to take any anti inflamatories. Obviously I took a few days longer than those who had only one done but walking on my feet weight bearing two days later. The team there are superb. Knew I was in the best care, wasn`t at all concerned anything would go wrong. So relax as much as you can, you won`t regret it.
Everyone elses comments on this thread are so true too. Anything you would like to know just go ahead and ask :) Best wishes, Bliss
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

SteveJ

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 03:55:32 AM »
Thanks Morph, Danny and Bi-lateral; I'm really glad that you and all the 'Hippies' have shared all this info.  :) 

Steve

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 04:15:22 AM »
Steve keep us posted mate. By the way I can pretty much garantee that the op won't take too long Mr Treacy's average time for 1 BHR is around 25-30mins from what I'm told so I'd say 90mins for a double. Get the house prepped for your return and get plenty of rest and good nutrition post op and you'll do great!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

SteveJ

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 04:27:58 AM »
Hi Danny, yes he said he didn't hang around - benefit of several thousand ops for practice I suppose! Hopefully I'll be blissfully unaware of the time!

After I first posted I realised I should probably have put this in the Bilateral stories section - typical bloke, I didn't read the instructions!

Steve

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 04:56:04 AM »
He's pretty quick with a scapal! As you say plenty of practice!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 10:02:42 AM »
Good Luck Steve!  Let us know how it goes......and like everyone says, it's not as bad as you think it will be.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM