+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Went to ER today to rule out dvt  (Read 6761 times)

Dee Dee

Went to ER today to rule out dvt
« on: June 16, 2012, 05:34:45 PM »
Just over three weeks post surgery. I started having a cramp-like sensation in my right calf (operated leg)and a pain near my shin when walking. no fever or redness or shortness of breath.  So I check the Mayo website for dvt symptoms and I decide to call dr. Gross office.  Of course they tell me to go to the ER and have an ultrasound to rule it out. Very precautious and I am glad.

Thankfully it was negative.  But I learned the importance of getting it checked.  Everyone at my local hospital confirmed the wisdom of ruling it out.  One nurse said 40% of patients like me who come in actually have a blod clot. Another nurse said that 2 hospital nurses at that facility died from it.

I took my X-ray to show everyone what a hip resurfacing looks like since it is not done here in Huntsville AL.  They were curious!

I just need to know what to do to calm my leg muscles down. I guess rest is in order.

Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

hernanu

Re: Went to ER today to rule out dvt
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 05:56:36 PM »
Very glad you did that Dee Dee! This surgery is so beneficial that we need to take care that everything goes right. Great that you didn't have it, but really good to take control like that.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Went to ER today to rule out dvt
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 08:22:53 PM »
Dee Dee

Glad all is well.  It is an important message for people to always check out severe pain in the legs during recovery.  I know of several people that did have blood clots and one almost died.  When things are very unusual or very, very painful it is often good to check with your surgeon.  If there is still a problem, better safe than sorry.

Thanks for your message.  Hoping you continue to have a good recovery.  Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz