+-

Author Topic: My Experience with Right Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Schmulzried  (Read 1514 times)

MOOSECONNOLLY

Hello All,

After struggling with hip pain since 2007 which, despite a lot of strength & core exercises and staying active, steadily got worse.  Thanks to this site, I was able to research the hip resurfacing option and find a doctor I was comfortable with.  I am one week post op (operation June 18, 2012).  Other than some nausea from the anethesia on day of surgery, my pain level never exceeded a 2 or 3 (10 being worst pain).  One week post op I am walking using only one crutch and each day am seeing rather large improvement in range of motion & ability to put weight on my right hip.  Prior to surgery my hip was rotated about a quarter inch forward which caused my lower right back to be "crimped" which caused tightness and some buldging discs.  Since surgery, I am already able to stand straighter (hip not rotated forward anymore as its not "locked") and I have no low back tightness.  My new hip has allowed me to biomechanically in "alignment" and I am already feeling the benefits of the operation & improved mobility.

I think a key to a successful surgery include a) keeping yourself as strong as possible pre-surgery (i.e. do core exercises including lunges, squats...to the extent one can) as stronger muscles will result in a quicker recovery and b) make sure you use an experienced, qualified surgeon - like a car, a good "mechanic" makes all the difference.  Dr. Schmulzried and his staff did a great job and I believe that his experience and expertise have allowed my recovery to be far less painful and burdonsome than I expected.   I will periodically update this "blog" regarding my recovery. Thanks for listening.

Rob6297

Re: My Experience with Right Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Schmulzried
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 12:14:17 AM »
Congrats moose!  Glad you had such a great experience and all is going so well!  I too think being in the best shape possible pre- surgery does help a lot. Good luck with the rest of your recovery!
Joe
Joe
RBHR 4/20/12 Dr. Su and Victoria

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 02:57:29 AM »
Moose, congrats and welcome!  Awesome to have that pain gone, isn't it?

Keep it up, you're doing well. The only advice I'd give is to have patience with your body and yourself. All of us have had good stretches and hit a snag at some point. Be happy with the successes and patient with the setbacks.

Excellent, ice that sucker and make sure your gait is good. No rush to get off the crutches until you're walking perfectly. Very glad for you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 05:35:46 AM »
Congrats and welcome to the board. As hern says ice is your friend!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

morph

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
Great stuff. Isn't it a good feeling to be able to stand with ease and at such an early stage with more improvement to come. Such a simple thing like standing still for long periods and feeling aligned and pain free helps to appreciate the simple things in life.
LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 05:01:51 PM »
Welcome and thanks for sharing Moose.  Best wishes for a quick and uneventful recovery.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »
Good job.  Sounds like you're coming along nicely. It's pretty cool how quickly you notice the changes after surgeyr and they are positive changes. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

bilateralbliss

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 05:22:51 AM »
sounds great, so pleased for you
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

MOOSECONNOLLY

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 07:37:03 PM »
Thanks for all of the feedback!! Also, FYI, my name is Joe C. - moose is my old mastiff (dog) that weighed 220 lbs. and whom I use as login since its never already taken :) I have not checked in for week so sorry for delay.  I am now 19 days post op. No pain meds since day 16 so off the vicodin.  I am able to not use crutches most of the time but have one handy in case I get fatigued when I immediately start using them as I want to develop good gait.  Need crutches less each day.  PT going well; able to stand on right hip (resurfaced) while lifting left leg to 90 degrees...can also get right leg to 90 degrees. Each session I can do more than prior session.   I am taking your advice and not pushing too hard...thanks for the tips.  I feel like I can walk taller/more upright and gait is improving by the day.  I seem to need naps more than I used to but that is likely the body telling me it needs to rest & heal. 

I walked easy 1.5 miles on trail few days ago on July 4th with trekking poles which was fine...iced afterwards and took nap. Muscles were a bit tight at incision point afterwards but not painful & also no joint pain; which was very nice!  I am amazed how quickly things are coming along...but realize I may hit plateau so taking one day at a time.   Crossing fingers but so far, things are going better than planned.  Thanks again for the feedback everyone!

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 02:00:33 AM »
All sounds good, Joe. Good report.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter