+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pain in non-operated hip  (Read 4212 times)

Lioness

Pain in non-operated hip
« on: July 08, 2012, 05:41:36 PM »
Hi, my operated hip is fine- the other one is being a pain! Had right BMHR in March, and used walking aids for 3 months as directed Since I've been more active, my non operated hip has become painful. I know it isn't arthritic, but wonder what's going on. Anyone else experienced this? Comments welcome!

hernanu

Re: Pain in non-operated hip
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Hi lioness, welcome to the site!  You'll find in reading the stories here that one of the common threads is the adjustment that the other hip has had to do to support the ailing hip. Once this is righted with the surgery, the other hip has to return to its proper function, maybe working muscles that have not been used for a long time.

So it may be just that. I'd call your surgeon and check with them too.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Lioness

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:11:14 AM »
Thank you. I haven't walked properly for a couple of years leading up to surgery, so left hip adjusting to normal movement makes a lot of sense!

bilateralbliss

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 08:40:48 PM »
Hi lioness, welcome :)
Hernanu is  spot on as usual!
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

johnd_emd

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 07:13:36 PM »
Did your surgeon take films of both sides?  I know all my pain was in my right hip.  But, before surgery my surgeon told me my left hip virtually had no cartilage and would have to end up being done sometime in the future.  Sure enough, now that I'm 6 months out I'm noticing more and more pain in the left side.  I think the right side pain was just overiding the left.  Now that the right is taken care of there's no pain to override the left side pain and I notice it more.  Just one thought.  Makes sense, if you wear out one hip, good chance the other one's not far behind. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

bilateralbliss

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 02:38:04 AM »
He did, yes. Showed bone on bone in both. I was walking doubled over like a 90 year old. Agonising pain in both groins and legs. Mr Mcminns only comment was if his anaesthatist called it off at half time he would have to stop. Luckily he didn`t :) Funnily enough was the only general I`d had which when woke had no sore throat. He said he only gave enough to keep me from joining in the converstion!! So all in all I was delighted, first qustion I asked was " are both done?" Was such a relief as had no good side to support anyway.
Birmingham

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 08:57:33 AM »
I have had major grief in unoperated leg and still am getting a bit but that is because it has been overworked for years. It is showing reasonable cartiladge on xray and McMinn is of the opinion it should improve with time and last a few more years.

It isn't giving me the same sickening pains and constant aches my right did before surgery. I think it was the groin pain that really got me in the end. I actually went to the Doctors thinking I had a hernia or testicle problem. After much fondling prodding and ultra scan (By blokes) I found out I had a lovely healthy set of bollocks and no hernia. Then it turns out that the feeling in my groin that made me feel sick was my hip crunching away.

So actually thinking about it by having my hip resurfaced I have actually fixed by back my hernia and my bollocks. Shame about the shoulder.

Jas
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »
Well congrats on the magnificent bollocks and lack of hernia.

I had no choice, both hips were angry, no cartilage on one and only a facade on the other, so there was no real option. If McMinn feels you have time and your symptoms have dried up, let this one heal and enjoy life, knowing you've got a great option and one of the best surgeons waiting for you when you're in need.

All good.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

morph

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 01:58:34 PM »
Yeah, my good-ish leg starting hurting at about 6-7weeks. I was convinced it was OA. I thought I was going to need to go under the knife quicker than expected. But thankfully it has cleared up now and is fine.
LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

bilateralbliss

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 04:21:08 PM »
Well Jas, both mine started with sudden groin pain! Plus pain in legs, which made me surprised when was told had no cartilage in both hips! I`d always thought hip trouble started with pain literally in the hip. Being female couldn`t have your first thoughts lol
Birmingham

Jason0411

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 04:17:50 AM »
I actually paid private to have a strange man fiddle with my bits.
Self repairing.

bilateralbliss

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 11:53:55 PM »
aah Privateparts!!
Birmingham

Jason0411

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 04:23:36 AM »
You Funny :D
Self repairing.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 03:27:14 PM »
Back to Lioness' issue, I think the points made by a few here, about getting x-rays on the un-operated side, is very important, especially if there was no obvious accident or cause of the first hip going out.  I think this thread also, points out the 2 types of pain in the un-operated hip post op.
   1. could just be your body trying to recalibrate to a new and awesome hip.
   2. could be your other hip going out.

For some reason, it seems like a lot of folks experience a quicker demise of the second hip in the classic middle-aged OA cases.  Maybe it's just a more intune awareness of the problems in the other hip, not sure.

BTW - I didn't get any bollock fiddling, I did get a lot of painful bending to prove that my ROM was bad.       
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Jason0411

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 06:14:42 AM »
I think you are right about the second one going quicker. But like you say it could be more awereness. The first hip I was in denial and fought the pain for too long. I will not go as long with my left. Which is talking to me as I type.
Self repairing.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal