+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Would you share your experinece with Dr. John Evans in TX?  (Read 3270 times)

Minnie

Would you share your experinece with Dr. John Evans in TX?
« on: July 08, 2012, 08:14:04 PM »
Hello,
My husband who is 49 is considering to get BHR done by Dr. Evans in San Antonio, TX who is the only doctor who performs resurfacing in this city.  I would like to find out what other people think of him and also how the BHR helped the hip pain.  Please let me know if you got BHR from Dr. Evans.  Thank you!
Concerned wife.

hernanu

Re: Would you share your experinece with Dr. John Evans in TX?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 09:51:17 PM »
Hi Minnie, welcome to the site. You join several great spouses who are helping their husbands or wives to face their OA.

I think you'll find many people here who have been helped greatly by the BHR. There are other devices also used by good surgeons, so the choices are not limited to the BHR; it is the longest used device, and has a great record.

I don't know Dr. Evans, but he is listed on the list of doctors that Pat has made available. Here is the link to reach the list

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

you can see that he has performed 128 resurfacings. He was trained by one of the best surgeons in the world, Mr. McMinn.

The success of a procedure depends on several things, the most important is the skill and experience of the doctor. Ideally, he or she has done a large number of resurfacings, does them often and is committed to the HR procedure. Pat has also put together a list of questions to ask your surgeon, the link for that is here:

http://www.surfacehippy.info/questionsfordoctor.php

She also put Patricia Dukes' article on how to choose both a doctor and an HR, which you may find informative:

http://www.surfacehippy.info/questionsfordoctor.php

Personally (and this is my own opinion), I chose my doctor because he had over 800 procedures done at the time. He also performed three or four HR procedures per day, the hospital was well set up to handle HR and THR patients, and the followup for aftercare was thorough. 

I think that this is a procedure that you don't need to have done in the same place you live. Many folks here have traveled to have it done, and the care afterwards was done by local doctors. You don't have to feel that your only option is the one doctor. You can choose from other surgeons that are farther away and have more experience, if you end up not feeling comfortable about the one you have. You definitely have good options.

This is not to say that Dr. Evans won't be the best surgeon for you, just that you have options and are not limited to local doctors. Many of us have traveled and done well. Please look over the stories of the many people who have. If you wind up choosing Dr. Evans, at least you'll have done so after comparing with others.

There are doctors who will give a free assessment of your husband's situation on this site, who have a lot of experience. You could send them his XRays, get information that will help him make a good decision.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 01:01:31 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Minnie

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:43:51 AM »
Thank you so much for your advise, Hernanu!!!   I printed out the question list for my husband to bring with him for his appointment.   I will also do more research on getting the surgery out of town.  I didn't even consider that.  I will read what other people did in this discussion forum.   Thank you again for your insight and support!!!
Grateful wife.  :)

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 01:05:10 PM »
No problem, Minnie - we've all been there and are willing to help.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

John C

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 03:05:12 PM »
Hi Minnie,
I just want to reinforce what Hernanu said. Traveling before and after the surgery is not that big a deal, and more than worth it if you feel that you can get better odds on the outcome. I flew all the way from Hawaii to South Carolina for my resurfacing, and would do it again.
Your plan sounds perfect. Just be sure to get the exact percentages of any complications from your local doc, and then compare that with your other options by traveling.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM