+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Corin mini hip surgery scheduled  (Read 50382 times)

Spanielsal

Corin mini hip surgery scheduled
« on: July 26, 2012, 05:36:11 PM »
I think I should probably start a thread of my own on this. I have a Cormet 2000 resurfacing done 9 years ago. With the metal on metal problems found by the ASR recipients many surgeons, including mine, have stopped using resurfacing particularly on women and especially on those with a secondary OA diagnosis (my primary is hip dysplasia) and I also have heightened metal sensitivities. So, being of the resurfacing "generation" bone conservation is key and although I was offered a more conventional THR in February we have been striving for a smaller prosthesis. Today I was given the go ahead for surgery by the lovely surgeon Mr Villar, despite his preference to scope me first he could tell that we were at the end of the road with the pain, restrictions and disability. Mr Villar has cared for me since my diagnosis in 96/97.  So, 14th of August, I shall be beginning my own road to pain free! I also have the honour of being among some of the last arthroplasty patients that he will do, he is going to concentrate on arthroscopy as he is one of the best in the world at those and he's taking on other things.  Thanks to all on this site for the support, ready answers and good humour which has kept me going over the past months.
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

kamoynsgi

Re: Corin mini hip surgery scheduled
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 06:16:12 PM »
All the best for next month Sal.  I had similar concerns with finding a surgeon to do metal on metal.  You obviously have a longstanding and trusting relationship with your surgeon, who who do what is best for you.  I believe that your personal confidence for what is in store counts for a lot.  Believe! 
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

Anna

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 06:20:59 PM »
Hey Sal, what do you mean by 'scope'?? You have said that twice now and I dont know what it means  ::)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 03:40:17 AM »
Anna a "scope" is basically key hole on the hip joint. It's called an arthroscopy. They can sort of re-engineer the morphology of the joint. However from my own experience and from what others have said along with reports I've read the outcomes of this op are generally poor if OA is within the joint. 
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 09:35:48 AM »
Congrats, Sal - as I mentioned, my brother in law has had his corin minihip in for a year and is now in good shape; he is a trial lawyer, so is on his feet quite a bit, he also works out four times per week and is motoring without pain.

Good luck and a happy future.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Spanielsal

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 10:50:41 AM »
Thanks guys, I am so much happier going with Mr Villar, he's a lovely guy, I trust him implicitly and he let me discuss the options freely but at the end of the day he's willing to give me back my mobility. Thank goodness. So good to hear your brother in law is doing well with the mini hip too. Trying to equip the house and me for post op. Seats over 19", raised toilet seats etc. the red cross in England lends this stuff out but ...... Not in Scotland! Argh ....
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:33:01 PM »
You'll be fine, Sal - you know the drill, and if you want advice on refitting for the recuperation, we'd be glad to bend your ear, just happy you've got a good path now.

Spanielsal

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
moved forward a week.... now on 7th August.  a whole bag of emotions but sitting on them with the thought that winter is coming and i will be in a much better place this year, well on that recovery road. 

I get very very nervous pre-procedure,  so am just trying to quell that now. I was trying to talk myself out of the op last time, when sitting waiting for my slot on the list!  I KNOW it will be better in a couple of weeks, but I'm just such a big BABY!  the pain i can deal with, it's the anesthetic!  you''d think i'd have grown out of that by 40!

Family ambition to walk the West Highland way together next summer.  Its good to have a goal and something cool to look forward to. 

Anna

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 07:24:58 PM »
WOO HOO!

Just think Sal, you have every excuse under the sun to just sit in bed next week and watch the rest of the olympics. I think thats a great time to go into hospital ... just please dont get carried away and bounce around screaming and do damage!! :)

Dont be nervous either. You have a good surgeon and they all know what they are doing. Im sure you will be fine. Keep thinking about that west highland way  ;D

Good luck x x x
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Spanielsal

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 07:59:53 PM »
Very hard not to scream and bounce, had it all today, even tears watching the British female rowers. Will be on the Zimmer frame 10 metre crawl ...... Followed by the 3stair clamber and round the hospital crutch hop, the Olympics are bringing out the competitive edge ....  ;D

Spanielsal

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 12:07:36 PM »
Oh goodness a lot can happen in a couple of days! Was a bit nervous so they let my hubby come into the anaesthetic room. Woke up in recovery talking a million miles an hour. Apparently the femoral head was horrid, despite not showing up on X-ray or MRI. Bless mr Villar, he treated me the patient not the X-rays. Eternally grateful for my new life that s about to start. The block was wearing off and I got very itchy, morphine doesn't do much for my pain but also makes me itch, probably because I've been on long term opiate painkillers. Well the pain got worse and worse, they gve me OxyContin which made me feel sick but didn't touch it, I spent a lot of hours sobbing with pain and lost the small ability I'd had earlier to move my leg, I became very frightened that some thing was wrong, detached muscles, trapped nerves I was utterly panicking. Eventually they gave me something which knocked me out then took out my drain and I now feel like a whole new person. Of course it's sore, they id saw off a bit of my bone and stuff a metal thing in it. Have been in the chair without fainting (major achievement) and can move the leg again, so am looking forward to hobbling with the zimmer later! Thank goodness day 1 is over with!

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 01:39:01 PM »
It's good to have you on the other side, Sal sorry about the pain, but glad they finally got it right. The first few days / weeks are rough in many ways, but the absence of OA pain more than made up for it for me.

It is amazing how much is camouflaged in other ways, except for the pain that you feel.

Congrats and welcome to your recovery!

Spanielsal

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 12:33:31 PM »
Home now, a bit sore on the incision and a bit achy in the joint. I want to thank the guys who raved about their recliners / la-z-boy chairs, I have borrowed a "granny" rise and recline chair and it is the most comfortable place to be when not walking. Just feel shattered from the anaesthetic and lost my appetite. Don't even want the glass of wine my husband poured me. Trust me, that is NOT normal for me!  Oh well early days! Just glad to be on the other side, grateful for the op and very excited for the future.  :)

Spanielsal

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »
1week anniversary, a spot of elephantitis in the operated leg. Walking going well, stairs fine, just sitting that's a bit sore.

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »
Sal, sitting was a sore point for me for a bit. I think it's just time that gets rid of that.

Mike D

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 05:35:10 AM »
Hi Sal
I have those same feelings you mention about how exiting the future has suddenly become.
I don't think it's possible to feel this way pre-op, despite knowing what to expect.
I really can't remember the last time I felt as positive as I do now. It won't be too long before you fancy that glass of wine!
Mike.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 02:39:38 PM »
Welcome home, Sal. Glad to hear things are going well xx
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Spanielsal

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 03:44:06 PM »
Thanks guys, walking is getting easier, just have to plod through the early days doing lots of little when all you really want to do is launch straight back in to former life. It is a patience game and I've been here before. So grateful to be on the up, however slowly. Keep toddling off for a late afternoon nap to kick the anaesthetic blues.

kamoynsgi

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 06:45:34 PM »
Glad to hear that you are home and on the mend.  All done now, only got to get better.  I'll be one week post op tomorrow so its really reassuring to know that all the aches and concerns are not just my own.

Ka
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

bilateralbliss

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 12:00:05 AM »
Sal I justed loved those afternoon naps ;)
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat