+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Leg Length  (Read 10382 times)

Scott35

Leg Length
« on: April 08, 2008, 12:53:46 PM »
I'm 10 week post BHR and from the first day suffered from leg length about 3/4 inch longer than my non involved leg.  In addition from the first day I have experienced knee discomfort as well, I believe it's associate to added pressure caused by leg length differences.  The discomfort in my knee is yet to be explained by the doctor but he claims that X-rays show my pelvis is slanted lower on my surgical side and the pelvis will over time pull back into place.  He assure me that my leglength issue will correct itself over a period of unknown time.  Other medical professionals question whether my situation will actually work itself out.  I've been told by one doctor that I'll need some orthodics for my shoes to balance the length situation out.  In addition it seems that my hip area is much stiffer that my experience 4 years ago when I had total hip replacement on the other side.  Can anyone give me insight about leg length problem and experience for making the correction. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 04:10:50 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Leg Length
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 11:05:37 PM »
Hi Scott

Welcome to Hip Talk.

There have been many people that felt there leg was too long after surgery.  Many even measured their leg to prove that it was longer.

Normally, the feeling of the leg being too long will eventually go away.  There is a lot of swelling in the area around the hip surgery and it is just a common feeling.  Also many people were bone on bone before surgery.  Many of us actually had a shorter leg before surgery - then after the resufacing did have a longer leg.

I do hope that your situation is the normal problem most people have and feel.  There was a person that actually did end up with his leg 1" longer and is having a very difficult time. 

Who was your surgeon?

Each person has a different recovery.  I did not have a great deal of stiffness after my hip resurfcing.  I was on one crutch at 4 days and none at 4 weeks.  Got around quite well after major surgery. A lot depends on the surgeons technique as to how quickly you recovery and how much swelling and bruising you have.

Also some people can have one hip resurfaced and recover very easily and end up with a long difficult recovery for the second one some time later. 

There seems to be no way to predict a persons recovery. 

I hope that your body will realign itself overtime.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Scott35

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 05:29:12 PM »
Pat,

I had my surgery in my home town of Birmingham, AL at the University of Alabama Birmingham Hospital. (UAB) under the care of Dr. Moore. 

It is not that my leg seems longer it actually is longer.  It doesn't matter if I'm standing or lying on my back there is a diference of 3/4 on of an inch.  When I walk it completely throughs my stride off and I walk with more of a limp today than prior to surgery.  I'm also experiencing knee pain in the same leg which was not there prior to surgery.  I certainly hope your right and all will pull back together giving me a normal stride again.  By the way I'm 47 and had been very athletic.

As I stated in my last note, in 2004 I ended up with a total hip replacement.  That surgery was done by Dr. Vail at Duke University.  Dr. Vail since moved to the west coast to take a head position at U of CSF.  My experience in 2004 could not have been better.  I was out and about in a matter of days.  No discomfort or pain medication after being release from the hosital on the third day. 

My current situation has me still experiencing groan pain, stiffness in the joint and lower back as well as the knee situsation.  I had expectations of experiencing the same or better result as 2004 with the BHR procedure. 

I welcome any suggested exercises or stretches that my help my situation.

Thanks,
Scott

gmaestral

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 04:07:19 AM »
Hi Scott

Welcome to Hip Talk.

There have been many people that felt there leg was too long after surgery.  Many even measured their leg to prove that it was longer.

Normally, the feeling of the leg being too long will eventually go away.  There is a lot of swelling in the area around the hip surgery and it is just a common feeling.  Also many people were bone on bone before surgery.  Many of us actually had a shorter leg before surgery - then after the resufacing did have a longer leg.

I do hope that your situation is the normal problem most people have and feel.  There was a person that actually did end up with his leg 1" longer and is having a very difficult time. 

Who was your surgeon?

Each person has a different recovery.  I did not have a great deal of stiffness after my hip resurfcing.  I was on one crutch at 4 days and none at 4 weeks.  Got around quite well after major surgery. A lot depends on the surgeons technique as to how quickly you recovery and how much swelling and bruising you have.

Also some people can have one hip resurfaced and recover very easily and end up with a long difficult recovery for the second one some time later. 

There seems to be no way to predict a persons recovery. 

I hope that your body will realign itself overtime.

Pat
If I were u I would get a revision to correct that leg length as soon as possible, because u may damage your back, and then your problems will be unbearable. I had revision surgery to correct that same kind of leg length difference just four days after my original surgery. I said that I wasn't going home like that, and now I have just had another revision to replace my liner because it was loose.

Marilyn

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 06:01:02 PM »
Hi Scott,

I am 48 years old and had my right hip resurfaced on 4/21/08.  Prior to surgery, my right leg was about 1.5 inches shorter than my left and quite a bit smaller from lack of use.  My back and most everything else hurt from the way I walked and my limited ROM.  After surgery and after the post surgical issues have settled down - I have regained total heighth to be almost 6'1".  My right leg is getting more muscular, walking is better, and pain is MUCH better.  I still have a slight limp, but feel it is in my head somewhat and a bad habit I am trying to break.

I hope things get back to normal for you soon!  I was very encouraged to see my progress and gains.

-mcave

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat