+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lower back arthritis and BHR question  (Read 1891 times)

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
Lower back arthritis and BHR question
« on: August 19, 2012, 07:02:23 AM »
I am scheduled for Bhr on my right hip. I also have arthritis in my lower back. I almost feel like my "gate" irritates my lower back on the

right side. Does anyone have this scenario and did BHR help a little with this? Thank you
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

Anna

Re: Lower back arthritis and BHR question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »
Hey, forgive me for being stupid, but what do you mean by 'gate'? 
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 04:58:28 PM »
Hi Hoyt,

I don't have arthritis in my lower back, but I do have lower back pain caused by the hip pain. Since my surgery my back pain seems to have disappeared with the pain in the hip.
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

lyn

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 07:14:35 PM »
I believe your back can definitely start to have issues as your torso compensates for a bad hip.
Lyn

hoyt66

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 07:49:28 PM »
Hey, forgive me for being stupid, but what do you mean by 'gate'?
Oh no! Not stupid at all.
Human gait is the way locomotion is achieved using human limbs. Human gait is defined as bipedal, biphasic forward propulsion of centre of gravity of human body, in which there is alternate sinuous movements of different segments of the body with least expenditure of energy. Different gaits are characterized by differences in limb movement patterns, overall velocity, forces, kinetic and potential energy cycles, and changes in the contact with the surface (ground, floor, etc.).

Lol I'm stupid. I spelled it wrong

Dee Dee

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 09:49:18 PM »
I have spondilolisthesis and degenerative disc along with hip issues.  I take diclofinac for the arthritis in my back and neck.  I am 3 months out from right HR.

My neurosurgeon said back surgery was the only definitive fix to the back issue, but that I could get epidural injections to see if that helped.  It did! 

My pain doc said that the hip and back definitely affect the gate and play off each other. he said that I should get my hips fixed and see how much better my back should be. Then get another back injection to get it completely better if it was acting up. 

My HR doc, Dr.Gross said that getting my other hip done should help my back, but that I could be facing back surgery as it is truly the only "fix" for symptomatic spondy..

My PT says to work, work, work the core to get it stronger to support the back. I can tell a difference whenI keep the core workout going. I ice the lower back almost daily.  PT is very good about getting my back in line, but I am hyper mobile and have loose ligaments so my back goes out of alignment very easily.  They check my gait and give me exercises to do to help me rethink/train my posture and walk.

Right now my back is a little aggravated because I am feeling good and doing more. I get sore and have some shooting pains down the back of the legs.  I am not so bad that I need the shots.

I just got a new bed and I think that is going to help a lot!

I am looking forward to getting my other hip done and being pain free from arthritis and labral tear issues in that hip.  I know I am compensating for the pain while walking. 

I hope you get some answers.

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

Miguelito

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 08:28:59 PM »
I absolutely had the issues you described. Stiffness and pain in the right lower back above my arthritic hip. Definitely affected my gait. I have been diagnosed or misdiagnosed with a variety of things over the years (ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, sciatica) so not sure we have the same underlying condition, but all of those things seem to be gone four months post-surgery. I probably have some form of inflammatory arthritis, but I am pretty sure the sciatica was just a misdiagnosed arthritic hip. All of the "sciatica" symptoms appear to now be gone, knock on wood.

Four months post-surgery and I know I am walking more properly than I have in years. I even felt taller for the first few weeks after surgery. I even think I am a little.
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

hoyt66

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Some very encouraging replies. Thank you

Anna

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 04:17:12 AM »
Hey, thanks for the gate / gait explanation!  ;D

Ive always walked 'funny' and with a slight limp since I was young as my hip problems generate from dysplasia and my hips not sitting correctly in their sockets. Ive also always suffered minor back pain which I was informed was sciatica when I was younger. As artiritis has now set in my hip and everything is getting worse, my back is also worse. Very stiff and I get sharp pains sometimes. I strongly believe this is due to the artiritis in my hips and the way I walk rather than anything particulary wrong with my back. I did mention it to Mr Treacy when I saw him (along with all the pain in my knees!) and he agreed and believed it was all linked to my hips and that once the hips were sorted, the knee and back problems would probably sort themsleves out.

Hope that helps, Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 03:56:42 PM »
I think it will change, maybe go away all together.   Nice definition BTW.

I found that my lower back had a lot of pain which I think was related to not lifting by bending at the knees.  It was too painful on the hips to do anything but bend over with straight legs.  That was not just for picking up heavy things, but tying shoes,... picking up after the kids,...  It's all gone now and I lift better now too. 

There is also possibly some shortening of muscles and soft tissue in the area of the gluts, because the daily ROM is decreasing.  I could see tightnesss in the gluts or others near there, causing lower back pain. 

After HR with good PT and focusing on straight gait, good stretching and exercises, the lower back pain should go away if it was caused by a degenerative hip.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal