+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Massage and Chiropractic Post-Op  (Read 7965 times)

AdRoc

Massage and Chiropractic Post-Op
« on: August 20, 2012, 03:23:13 PM »
Hi,

Anyone here have any thoughts/experience with massage and/or chiropractic post-op?  I currently get deep tissue massage once every 2 weeks and see my chiropractor once a month and I'm wondering about when the appropriate time to continue with those therapies would be after surgery.

Any input here would be fantastic!

Best,

AdRoc

mike1966

Re: Massage and Chiropractic Post-Op
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:20:37 AM »
Hi AdRoc,

Massage was great for me. I had real problems once I got off crutches with my IT band causing knee pain and stiffness from scar tissue. I started massage therapy weekly from 11 weeks post op on advice from from my physio who also recommended a massage therapist with appropriate experience and qualifications. I would think it wise to check out the qualifications of anyone massaging around your surgery. Anyway it was brilliant for me and along with swimming and walking, the most important aid to my recovery.

Cheers

Mike
LBHR 2nd April 2012 Dr Van Winden

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »
Hi AdRoc, welcome! I had massage (very directed) by a visiting nurse and later by physical therapists after about three weeks from the surgery. They were very careful at first, but the goal was to get the muscles moving and to avoid scar tissue from forming.

Personally, I would stay away from any kind of manipulation of the joints like is done with chiropractic services until the bone has time to heal properly. Talk to your surgeon about that, see what he or she thinks, but (I think) the most important point of the healing process is to get a really good bond between your bone and the device that's been implanted, either using glue or without.

You have two boundaries that need protection as you heal, the femur 'cap' and the cup inserted in your hip. They need time to bond properly so that they can withstand manipulation - too early manipulation and you're putting pressure on an incomplete bond, with the possibility of loosening or creating problems down the line which lead to revisions.

Just my opinion, and it's really the kind of question you should broach with your surgeon, but any stress on that bond before it's cooked would be detrimental, in my opinion. I've had good luck with some chiropractors, so this is not any judgement on them, just think that the procedure may not be a good thing while recuperating.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dave Like Festus

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 10:08:59 PM »
Hello all,
I am a massage therapist, although I haven't been practicing it as a job for some time now. All I've read here so far seems to be wise counsel. I believe the massage would be an advantage to the healing process by improving blood/fluid flow, breaking up adhesions, and just feeling good after working at the PT aspects. It should help with tight muscles 'letting go' and thus improving ROM over time.

Yes, get someone who is qualified and don't be shy about asking about their training. Physical Therapists are sometimes trained in massage therapy and may be a good resource to tap in finding someone to massage you.

Also good ideas that it takes time for the bone to heal properly and chiropractic manipulations might not be best early on. When in doubt, ask your doctor!

Just my 2 cents worth. I'll be getting my right hip resurfaced in about 3 weeks...and can't wait!

Dave

David
RBHR 8-6-2014, Dr. Peter Brooks

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz