+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5 months out still having some pain.  (Read 3140 times)

Jbennett

5 months out still having some pain.
« on: August 21, 2012, 07:51:46 PM »
Dr. Gross did my right hip 3/14/12. Thought it was going to be pretty quick recovery after the first couple of months and got a little lazy with exercise. I've been going to the gym a couple times a week to do the elliptical but not as much as I should.Other than that I've just done my daily work stuff.  Last couple of weeks I seems to be having more soreness than I've had. I'm all paranoid about a loose cup or something. Can't tell if it 's the joint or just muscle. Of course Dr. Gross is 10 hours away. Anybody experience late recovery pain discomfort like that? Walked a mile sunday night and I swear it felt better at two months when I was doing that most days. Any thoughts?
Right Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 3/14/12

sdunn4

Re: 5 months out still having some pain.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 08:03:16 PM »
I also had my hip resurfaced with Dr. Gross.  I have taken an alternate course- lots and lots of activity.  I have no real soreness of the hip joint but some muscular soreness as I push harder.  I am biking 4 days per week (70-80 miles) with loads of hills (yesterday was a 31 miler with over 2000' of climbing), swimming 4 days per week (between 1/2 and 1 mile each workout), using my Concept 2 Rower a couple days as a warm-up, slalom skiing and lifting.  I walk 2-2 1/2 miles per day as well at my job in a Paper Mill.  I have had to use ibuprofen or Alleve only sparingly- usually only once per week if I push a little too hard.

My point is I believe low-impact exercise and lots of it is the answer to avoiding the kind or soreness you are describing.  The muscles need to be rehabilitated and used.  Just my opinion!

Good luck,

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 10:23:05 AM »
Have to agree with Steve on this. I think low impact activity and anything to get that capsule moving is a good thing at the point you're at. I started on a slide board (simulated skating) at that point.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Jbennett

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 01:29:04 PM »
Headed on a hilly 4 mile hike now. Wish me luck. No cell service out there. If I fall down a hill I'm screwed. Lol

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »
Ditto, and ditto.  The less I use it, the more stiff it seems.  Also, when I went to PT, and learned a dozen new exercises, it made a world of difference.  I know Dr. Gross is not big on prescribing PT, and I waited until 4 months to get some, but it was absolutely worth it.

I would recommend emailing Lee Webb and ask for her to prescribe some PT for strengthening.  I imagine it will help you a lot.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

bri

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 03:15:24 PM »
I also had pain at 5 months.I started walking a lot more and that seemed to do the trick.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 04:31:07 PM »
Maybe there's been a large increase in activity and increase in ROM.  It might take some time to get things evened out, stretched out,... I recall having a similar issue, but it didn't last long.  A call to the doc isn't a bad idea either, plus gain some confidence.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Jbennett

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »
Survived the 4 mile hike. Boy those are some steep hills!! Did leg lifts and scissor lifts yesterday with 3 pound weights. Three sets of 30 on each one. I'm going to get serious about the pt as of now. My wife noticed I was moving worse than I was at 1 month post op. can't let that happen.

John C

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 12:55:51 AM »
Good for you. Many surgeons will tell you that you must do some type of exercises for life if you want that hip to stay happy. If you are just starting back into it, build up gradually, as with all activities post resurfacing.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

cassiewoofer

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 06:03:01 AM »
 I wouldn't worry at 5 months, At 4 months I still had pains similar to OA that had me worried they hadn't fixed the problem! I wasn't completely recovered until 12 months and was still limping badly at 5. Like they said, walking everywhere day to day helped enormously, not long walks though... even after 9 months a long walk (over 1/2 mile) left me sore...... I made the mistake of cycling everywhere up to 5 months and was surprised how much walking was difficult.
 I asked my surgeon around the 6 month mark what to do to improve the recovery..... He just said 'if you want to cycle and play tennis, do precisely that.
 I didn't follow a PT routine so prob why my recovery was slow but now (at 19months) I can jog, sprint and play tennis like before my OA. I'm even considering soccer again the thing feels so good!
 Just be patient!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat