+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: IRONMAN 6 mths after bhr  (Read 6616 times)

hipnhop

IRONMAN 6 mths after bhr
« on: August 27, 2012, 09:09:37 AM »
Its done. Full race report coming soon.  Walk/run strategy worked fine. 15:15 with 45 minute in medical care for dehydration.
Hipnhop@Louisville ironman II
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Woodstock Hippy

Re: IRONMAN 6 mths after bhr
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 01:11:25 PM »
HnH, you're the Man!

Congratulations, excellent time!  How did you feel on the run?  How was your fitness?  Did you wear the Hoha's? (I love them)

I'm proud of you, man.  Congratulations again

HipnHop, you're an Ironman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:45:02 PM »
Congrats Hip! how are the hips feeling?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:47:19 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hipnhop

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 05:24:55 PM »
If I didn't hyperextend my knee, a 11 minute mile would have been easy.   Little hip soreness. Knee is blown up.  Took two advil s and pretty much a zero on hip pain.   Hips pushed out a hilly course at 19 mile pace till knee gave out.  Then it was pain with each pedal stroke.  I would advise waiting any least 8 months before doing this.  I am wondering if the hip had any thing to do with knee pain. The only thong I can think of is that my bike for was done pre surgery when my rom was pretty limited.  Now that it has gotten much better the fit my not be approapiate.   Gotta spend another 300 for a new fit.   We are all hoping to return to the active lifestyle we love. Don't let this rehabilitating disease stop you.   I didnt and know I am an ironman,  literally.
)

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 06:45:28 PM »
Good stuff, hip. Sorry about the knee, but good that the hips held up well.

I think my foot was affected by these sneakers and shoes I was wearing, so I do think we need to reset our environment as it affects our gait, stride, anything else like the fit of your bike when it was calibrated to the bad old Hipnhop.

Congrats, and ice that knee back into shape. Very cool you're back to this.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 07:51:27 PM »
Excellent.  Pretty amazing, especially at 6 months.  You are not a total Ironman, least you forget that you are partially cobalt and chrome, man.  Although, based on what you just accomplished, no one would know. 

Did you squeak from the dehydration?
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

rbt2011

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 12:19:59 AM »
Congrats hip,

That's Awesome.  Hope the knee feels better soon.

Right side BHR 11/29/2011

David

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 12:43:01 AM »
Congratulations!
I think your accomplishment is admirable, but not advisable at 6 months.   You got through it yes.
Don't  you think if you would have strengthened and trained a bit more it would have been more comfortable and maybe a bit faster?  To each his own Hip, but I would not advise this for anyone at any level coming back after a BHR.  I hope you are ok, heal and recover well and continue to do what you love to do.  By all means, please take care and listen to your body in the future...
You are an IRONMAN Hip, now be nice to yourself and your body...
Best...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

hipnhop

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 04:40:21 AM »
Thanks everyone for the comments.   While some of you may want to return to fast runs, I really don't see myself or many other wth Bi-Lateral BHRs doing a sub 9 minute mile run on a IM or Marathon.  I would love to hear stories of Bi-Lats reaching that speed.  I just think that is way too much stress on the device and surrounding bone structure, no matter how much ones weighs. Is there one bi-lat that performs at that level? I think David comments would lead one to believe that if one competes in these events,the goal is time.  It is just the opposite - the goal is not to finish, or even finish fast, the goal is to start.  Getting started and getting back on your life is what this is all about. Now I am not saying that some of you can't qualify for Kona, let's just be real - you ain't gonna do it based on the run. Swimming and biking places little stress on the joints and a good walk/run can only build bone integrity and strength. Little of the Ironman has to do anything with hips, especially if you dont run.  The hype of the danger of an Ironman is just that - hype.  It;s about endurance., nutrition, fitness, technique, attitude mixed with a bit of luck.  Would a longer healing process afford a better time? The answer is no because I am not trying to run hard on this device. So this leaves the final question, would a longer healing time promote a longer device life span.  I think the answer is yes but I am not concerned about quantity. I want quality and I'm enjoying that now. Century ride in four weeks. Got to to ride. 

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »
Congratulations again Hip, great report!

stephen1254

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 08:31:22 PM »
I am seriously impressed and I like your attitude. I too would have concerns about doing an IM at 6 months - I'm not even going to start running until 6 months - but we only regret the things we didn't do, not those we did do. I ran for 35 years before my hip sidelined me and if someone had said "if you don't run you wont need a BHR" I wouldn't have skipped one run - not ONE run. I have zero regrets for all the stuff I've done.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 10:57:12 PM »
Hip, did you tell your doctor?  I bet he wants to ring your neck.

einreb

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 12:55:23 AM »
when did you start training/running?

in some ways I think its stupid to start running so soon, but I did criteriums at a touch over 1 year out, was on the bike 2 months before I was supposed to, etc... :)

-Bernie
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

David

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 01:21:37 AM »
Hey Hip,
By no means did I want to take anything away from your accomplishment, which was awesome.
I just want to caution anyone who may think that this should be the normal time for someone thinking about returning to an endurance race.  We all want to return to our pre-op passions and continue to do those safely with our given hardware.  "Time" in finishing is not the issue nor is "hype of the danger of an Ironman".  Whole body, one BHR or two BHR's, an Ironman distance is a serious endeavour and stress on the body.  Inefficient running, when muscles have not properly recovered, slow or fast, will cause undo stress on the hips and other body parts trying to compensate.
After this BHR operation my main goal was to return to doing "Dad things" with my 10y/o.  That happened quickly, now I'm glad to pursue some passions.  Hope everyone can do that and enjoy their lives to the fullest...
Best...
David
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:25:03 AM by David »
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Tin Soldier

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 08:49:14 PM »
We just need a link to the thread where we all harrased poor HnH after he ran at 2 months post-op or something like that.  I still feel bad about that - HnH.  Although I think we can all understand and appreciate the point about getting back to an active lifestyle.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

pasinvabch

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 12:29:49 AM »
Amazing!! That just tells you each person heals differently,,,Congrats
piedad

hipnhop

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 03:56:04 PM »
My Surgeon told me just to listen to my body.  Which I did, that's why I didn't try to run the whole thing.  I should have left a1.5 mile Underpants run alone the day before IM.  I tried to burn that in my Superman underwear with an aero helmet on. That';s what someone should have warned me about.  I am more concerned about the knee and whether the BHR have thrown off my bike fitting.  I have a Century coming up and dont want to feel that knee pain again.

David , dont worry. I am signed up for Syr 70.3 then trying to get into Florida IM next year.  Im going to PR both. Meet you at the starting line.

For those of you interested in the race and how I trained I am putting up my race report soon and will post a link on Surface Hippy. For all those who are still in pain, deciding whether or not to get the surgery.  Worried about rececovery etc. It gets better.  It really does and it gets better quick.

Arrojo

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 07:58:32 PM »
Congrats! My guess about the knee pain is because you likely did not train enough for running (or even run walking) 26 miles. Trying to go that far without properly ramping up leads to knee pain.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:13:59 PM by Arrojo »
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

David

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 12:09:06 AM »
Got that right Arrojo...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

David

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 12:56:56 AM »
Hey Hip...
Florida is a fun one...My first and best with a 9:44...
Proposed to my wife when she crossed the finish line...
Very memorable...
Hope you have a good one...
David.
Flat course...not easy because you don't get a break from pedaling...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats