+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: T- 7 Days  (Read 1800 times)

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
T- 7 Days
« on: September 04, 2012, 07:03:29 PM »
This time next week God willing I'll be in recovery. I'm in the "no motrin or pain relievers" period. Praying I don't get a migraine. Work is

being very supportive, even having lunch catered in this Friday. Things are falling into place. I'm even starting to accept it. I know

that sounds funny a week out  but....

Working out as hard as possible driven by the fear of no gym for a ...month???
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

Spanielsal

Re: T- 7 Days
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:00:55 AM »
Your upper body will be getting a work out post op, so will you patience muscle! Dont worry you'll soon be on the other side, chasing the rainbow. Good luck!
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 06:13:04 AM »
Ah, one week to go til things start to feel better.  Just relax, do your exercises and keep us posted about how you are doing.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 09:29:55 AM »
Do what you feel is good for you. It's good you're accepting it, it sets you up well for both the difficulty and the triumphs afterwards.

Like Sal says, you will be getting a workout. Moving about, caring for your hip and doing your exercises afterwards is a worthy challenge, but the results are so good. No arthritis pain, the increasing freedom from the ties that are binding you now, just feeling like you're back is awesome.

For all of that, you need to clear your mind, acknowledge the challenges but also let the triumphs wash over you. The first time you take a step and notice that pain is gone, the first time you walk and come back just tired, not agonized, bending down to pick up a coin without wincing due to your hip.

Good luck, keep up what you're doing.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

kamoynsgi

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 04:18:35 PM »
Getting your head as well as your body in the right mode helps you through to the other side.

All the best for next week, we'll be waiting.

Ka
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 04:30:43 PM »
Glad you're in acceptance mode. 

As for working out.......you're going to need to put on your patience hat.  That, for me, was the hardest part.  Maybe not the first 2-3 weeks, but as the surgical pain is gone, and pain-free walking becomes easier, you're going to want to do more and more.  Don't......push.....it.

I'm sure you've read it, but this is a marathon recovery, not a sprint.  Pushing too much, to early, can be a big risk.  It's been 7 months for me, and I'm just now doing some very vigorous workouts (insanity).  But, we still have restrictions on how much weight we can lift for up to a year (depending on your doctor). 

Patience, patience, patience.

You'll do great!  Good luck.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »
I recall the same sort of acceptance at about this point.  I think that is a really good thing to understand and for folks juts beginning their resarch, to also understand.  There is a lot of build up to this point and now you're able to sit back and say to yourself, you've done all you can to get here".  So kick back and enjoy the ride.  Don't second guess yourself and don't worry about the outcome.  It will be fine. 

Imgetin - nice to hear you're doing insane workouts.  It's good to get back to life. 

Houston out
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 07:31:36 PM »
Again...Thank you all for your kind words and inspiration. I will keep posting as I will need to communicate with ppl who can directly relate.
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

Mr.Box

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 09:24:22 PM »
Hey Hoyt!

I'm T-Minus 9 days and counting myself for bilats with Dr. Su. ... In that whole " no pain killer " period also. It actually put things into reality after a day or so without Advil. Wow... have I really been this much in pain this entire time !?!?

As for missing the gym for a month.. take it like this. You can beat on a screw all you want with a hammer, things just go quicker and the results are better with a screw driver.

Let your body heal, and hit the gym when you are ready. You'll probably end up finding out that with the new hip, you can do more and workout with better quality results.

Good luck to you and I hope to see you posting during your hospital stay! I plan on bringing my laptop so I can complain about aches, pains, hospital food, and not so attractive nurses.
Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 05:29:28 PM »
Video games, that's what the recovery period is for.  Like Box says, just take r easy at the beginning.  Once you start doing PT you'll get a sense of returning to activity, it's feel good and you'll want to do more, you'll still need to moderate though.

Good luck to both of you.  We'll be eagerly waiting for a report.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 10:43:51 PM »
Damn straight, Tin! Video games and a good tough attitude is a good recipe.

That and frequent posting to keep us updated, we don't forget you guys.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anna

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 04:45:12 PM »
Good luck to both of you. Not long to go!  :)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

lyn

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 04:55:40 PM »
I wish you both a speedy recovery as well. Lyn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz