+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Has anyone ever had Blue Cross / Sheild approve resurfacing overseas?  (Read 9627 times)

Kal

I am trying to schedule resurfacing this summer but have been told by this carrier that they won't cover this if completed overseas.  Has anyone come across this and if so any solutions?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 02:39:56 PM by Pat Walter »

Vicky

Re: Has anyone ever had Blue Cross / Sheild approve resurfacing overseas?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:38:54 PM »
Do you have an HMO or a PPO?  HMO's you will not have any luck with overseas but a PPO read your policy every one is different.  There have been several people that have had it approved for both Belgium and India.

Vicky

Kal

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 06:49:39 PM »
Thanks Vicky.  I have PPO policy so if you know of anyone on this website or otherwise I would greatly appreciate their contact info.   Thank you.

Kal

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 07:50:25 PM »
Many people have managed to appeal and be covered.  Here are a group of sucessful letters and stories.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/insuranceappealinfo.php 

I did not have insurance and had to pay for my own surgery in Belgium. PUt it on my credit cards.  So I am sorry I don't have any first hand knowledge.  I do know more and more insurance companies are covering De SMets surgeries and some Dr. Bose surgery.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Anne

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:40:56 PM »
Go to the "Insurance Appeal Letters" on the home page of this website, and read the medical policy for Blue Cross/Blue Shield (Anthem).  You may be pleasantly surprised.

takilasunrise

I have BCBS Anthem and they covered it.  I had to fill out a questionnaire a couple of times (was this due to an injury from an auto. accident, workman's comp.) but that was it.  I guess I fell under the "out-living" a traditional hip replacement procedure. 

P.S.  I did have mine done here in the States, so I guess that didn't really answer your question............... :-\

xocy

I don't know about overseas, but most of the OS's here file it has a THR.
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Darkboatman

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 11:30:37 PM »
I will share with you that I had a BHR in 2004 in Belgium and after numerous appeals BC picked up the tab. They were jerks until after numerous study submissions and the fact that I must have hit a reasonable Doctor from BC who agreed with my assertion that I had in fact saved them money and my outcome was outstanding.

Perserverence...I had nothing to lose just kept playing the game. That was 2004 before it was even FDA approved and Insurers had that FDA loophole in all policies.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear