+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Resurfacing gets no respect!  (Read 1656 times)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Resurfacing gets no respect!
« on: September 17, 2012, 04:36:56 PM »
My father recently sent me an article from his local paper about hip replacement.  I found an almost identical web posting (assume they're related).

http://www.askdoctork.com/should-i-get-a-hip-replacement-201209072913

How can a Harvard doctor leave out hip resurfacing as an option when answering that question from a 58 year old person?  Ugh!!!

I wrote hip a letter, but doubt he will respond.  Here's what it said:

Dr. Komaroff,

My father sent me an article from his local paper the other day, which I believe is nearly identical to the recent post on your website:

http://www.askdoctork.com/should-i-get-a-hip-replacement-201209072913

As a recent recipient of an artificial hip myself, and after having thoroughly researched hip replacement options, I was surprised that your article does
          not mention the option of hip resurfacing at all.  I would think that the relatively young age of the person who asked that question should at least make
          hip resurfacing part of the discussion.

I do not know if you perform hip resurfacings or not.  I do find it discouraging that many surgeons are reluctant to even educate their patients about it,
          even if it may be a superior option for them.  Many people put their complete trust in their surgeons, and - sadly - I think the surgeons violate that trust
          when they don't offer all the possible options to their patients.

I would hope that your answers to questions might be a little more comprehensive, particularly when they are so easily found on the web.

Sincerely,

Andrew Roussey
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Dannywayoflife

Re: Resurfacing gets no respect!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:53:52 PM »
Here here! Very well put Andy!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hipnhop

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 11:48:31 PM »
Great job. I am always amazed how few people know anything about the HR option. 
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:03:58 PM »
Nailed it!  Good Job Imgetin.  I just posted the other day about the lack of comprehensive persperctives from conventional THR surgeons.  I almost said a few things inflaming about how inadequate some surgeons can be when the patient is putting all their trust in them.  I held back, but I like your professional, well thought out, and respectful letter. 

Well done.

BTW - 58 is young for many people these days.  Probably half the 50+ folks that I know, could kick my ass in cycling, swimming, and even soccer.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

John C

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 07:12:19 PM »
Well done Andy. We are proud of you for speaking out, and in such a well balanced way. One of my pet peeves about our society is how many people just mumble to themselves instead of speaking out. Good for you!
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

teaching tennis

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 01:06:12 PM »
I had a discussion with an ortho surgeon about hip resurfacing, at a social event, and he was the most negative person I have
ever met on this topic.  I researched for almost 5 years before I pulled the trigger and had mine done at Cleveland Clinic by
Dr. Brooks.  My son is a third year resident in ortho and his hospital is not against it but rarely discusses it because a couple of the
surgeons that did HR used the parts that have caused all of the recalls and revisions and lawsuits.   This is a new surgery that will take years to get over some of the bad early press.  Find your surgeon by starting with Dr.'s McMinn and Treacy and move out to all that they have trained.  I'm 3 1/2 months out and have been back teaching on the tennis court, doing everything but full running (9 mos to go) since the 2 1/2 month mark.  Absolutely pain free with full range of motion.  No setbacks yet.  I sound like a commercial.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
What? Everything but running and full ROM?  At 3.5 months?  WOW!  Congrats....what a remarkable recovery.

Your story highlights the non-patient-first thought process of many of those doctors.  Thank GOD for our surgeons!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat