+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5 days post op  (Read 2189 times)

Mr.Box

5 days post op
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:05:59 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I've tried to stay off the site for the first few days because of how I was feeling. My first day post op was great ( still had the epidural and constant extended relief pain pill )

My second day was alright, the epidural came out and PT began, ritualistically. I didn't do so well. I was very very lightheaded and unable to really more than stand up and walk to the window 2 feet away from my bed.

Third day was a drastic set back day and I was unable to get up and go to the bathroom, get up to stand, and all extended release pain medication was stopped. I really felt this was the lowest point of my life to date. I was depressed and felt helpless in my situation.

Fourth day, I had another set back first thing in the morning and almost fainted while in the bathroom. I was flung back into a chair and rushed over to my bed and set down to relax and regain my color and feeling. After the third day's relapse and the events of the fourth, I felt I was doomed and I knew there were going to be no visitors to raise my spirits the entire day. I was in very dire spirits and started to focus on things that I came in here to do and my mind set. I had a PT session an hour or so after the fainting incident and I was very nervous with it.

I purposely made myself eat and drink more fluids than I had been accustomed to during my stay. My appetite had diminished greatly over the last few days and started feeling this was effecting my recovery.

My PT session started off shakey, little light headed and didn't know how far I would go. I started talking with the PT about my daughter and the next I knew I had walked the farthest I had walked since being in the hospital. I even pushed to where I don't know if it was a light headed feeling or anxiety made me think twice about progressing further. I walked back to the bed and took a great nap.

My second PT session of the day.. I felt determined. I walked out to the nurses station and asked where the room with the test stairs was. I directed myself to that room and went up and down the stairs almost defiantly.

Third session of the day.. I did the same as above, almost 1/2 the time and effort. They already were talking about sending me home the next day, this speeded up the talk.

Sixth Day.

Here I am, passed through hell and back. Still looking at the gates from the wrong side, but feel like I'm leaving sometime soon. There is alot of things that this site can prep you for, but you are responsible for your own recovery. Your interactions with the nurses, patient care assistants, physical therapists can only be molded by your own questions, requests, and comments.

I'm looking forward to one thing and one thing only right now. My family, I can't wait to be home with my little girl and her smile. Hearing her say Da-da is the reason I'm here, the reason I'm alive and the reason I am going home. Oh yea, my wife too ;)

Stay strong!
Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

Miguelito

Re: 5 days post op
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
I'm real sorry to hear about your difficulties. They too shall pass.

I did want to thank you for the last line about your wife. I chuckled out loud. Does that make me a bad person?

Keep up the hard work!

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 10:53:41 AM »
Wow, Box, I'm really sorry you were so down.  Remember, that's why we're all here.  Everyone's recovery is unique, and yet I think there is likely always SOMEONE who can relate with whatever you're going through.  Don't forget to tap into all of us for those times, too.  Not just information.

With that said, I still am fairly confident that your post-surgical few days will soon be a distant memory.  Good luck, and keep posting.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 11:26:48 AM »
Your recovery so far sounds similiar to mine. I was fainting and light headed nearly every time I stood up for the first few days. It's rough, but it DOES pass.

No one can truly prepare you for how your own personal recovery can do. We can give you our own experiences and some things are pretty standard for this surgery, however, each recovery has it's own character and only you can feel that.

Things will get easier. I've just had my 6 week follow up with Mr Treacy and i'm all clear with a bright future ahead! Stick with it, and lean on us for support all you need. We're here for you buddy.
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 11:28:46 AM »
Box,
Hang in there. I'm day 8 and feeling better each day. I almost passed out the morning of day 7. I have PT in an hour. I'm a little nervous as I think that what drained me day 6. I do PT on my own between the

Therapist visits but I only do half of what she does. I don't want to go to far. I have lead and athletic life so I'm no stranger to pushing past the limits physically but I believe this will take time. Listen to your body

and good luck to you.

Chet
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

Spanielsal

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 12:47:05 PM »
Stick within your limits guys....the path to healing has no shortcuts.  Take the hand of your buddy patience and you shall be back doing the things you love.

Recovery to normality really does take some time but once you are there... Who says ths thing is going to wear out....ever!

Sorry to hear you've had a rough few days Box, have been waiting for you to check In.  Welcome to the other side.  8)
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »
Sounds like a tough start, Mr. Box, but I think you've got a handle on it.

Like the others mentioned, we've all had times when setbacks set in, but the progress that comes wipes that out. I can honestly say that for me it was one step back and five or six forward, and that ratio got bigger and bigger over time.

You will get down at points (we've all dealt with depression), so expect that you will get there, but also make sure you enjoy and remember the great leaps forward (apologies to chairman mao).

Like Sal mentions sagely, there are no shortcuts with this, the concept of pushing through pain is not what you want to exercise when you're healing; if your body says stop, then just do that.

Just be patient and realize that the moment may be rough, but the future is bright.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anna

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 03:00:37 PM »
That sounds rough Mr Box but I reckon you have done the hard bit now.

You seem to have the best attitude. Keep going and keep smiling  :)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 04:16:40 PM »
I think you've shown why bilateral in one event is hard core.  Nice job sticking with it.  Not that you had a choice once you entered the OR.  The determination is the key.  I had the super down, bummed out, sort of in pain (more the guts from the oxy) deal for really only one day, the day I got home on the first hip.   3 or 4 days of that would be tough.  A little rest in my bed made it all better and the next day turned up.  I think you're on the mend. 

Soldier on!
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

DirkV

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »
Hey Mr. B. Glad to see that you are on the road to recovery, and I think you have great attitude.
Many things in your post brought back memories. I was doing fine in the first day or 2, and then got to thinking I was further than I really was, and nearly fainted when trying to go the bathroom without calling the nurse to get a walker. You lost blood. Your body has been through trauma. You've been on drugs. It's not a big setback.
I also relate to your thoughts of your family. I knew it was time to schedule surgery when I couldn't shoot hoops w/ my teenage son or go on family hikes.
Best wishes getting this part of your life back. Oh and a bonus, good luck on eventually playing hockey again. We had a kid drop in this morning who played Div 1 for St. Lawrence last yr. Stoned him a couple times on clean shots and kept him from scoring :-) . Five yrs ago I wouldn't have believed I could play competitively against that caliber after bilat.
Keep lookin' up,
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 10:04:20 PM »
Hang in there.  Things will get better.  The interesting part is that when there are bad spots, we often almost forget about them later when we are healed and living our new lives. 

Be patient and know that some people have dizzy problems, etc.  Be sure to tell your doctor and nurses when you are having problems like that.  Sometimes it is the meds they are giving you and they can be changed.

You are now post op and on the road to healing.  Stay in touch when you can.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

lyn

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 11:03:14 PM »
Hi Mr Box, i know things will get better. Take one day at a time. At least your all done with both your hips. Keep us posted. Lyn

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »
Mr B,  hope you're still getting better, you should be, and that you are on your way home.  Just remember that PT is very important  and get yourself to a good therapist who will gently work those legs and get you back on the ice for next year.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

hipnhop

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 11:06:56 PM »
Box, be strong man. I almost fainted the first time I got out of bed. The Cather got stuck in my penis (they called in the whole hospital in to try to defalte it - i was so embarraseed, my blood pressure dropped real low, severe dehydration - the cute nurse didn't want to give me her phone number (no,,,it wasn't because...) - you know the normal stuff. You will get better and stronger with each passing day. You will be running with your little girl soon man. Just take it easy. It gets better everyday.
Hip
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM