+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rehab question  (Read 2279 times)

rbrill

Rehab question
« on: April 17, 2008, 04:48:18 PM »
When sitting in a normal chair, I am unable to lift my leg straight up.  So, heel on the floor, calf vertical and thigh horizontal (classic chair sitting position).  I try to raise my whole foot off the ground by raising my thigh and I can do it.  Can't even budge it off the floor.  8 days post op.  Is this to be expected?

Elaine Y.

Re: Rehab question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 07:04:15 PM »
Hi, Don't get too excited yet. I believe you may have a super weak quadriceps muscle. What does your PT say? The muscles are so very weak after this surgery. I do remember it was very hard for me to get out of bed by raising my leg off the bed, and it was hard for me to stretch my leg out all the way in a sitting position. I would say, give it time. But, ask your surgeon if you are so very concerned. Strengthen your quad muscle. The best one is to lie down on your back, leg outstretched, and then flex your foot toward your chest, and tighten your thigh. This is a good quad strengthener. Remember, you don't raise your leg at all. Try that, and maybe it will help strengthen your quad. But, you are only 8 days postop... give yourself time. It was a major surgery you had and all heal differently. Good luck.

Elaine Y.
RBHR -- 1/22/08 -- Dr. Eugene Lopez

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 07:03:10 AM »
Hi

You are only 8 days post op.  You body has been thru major surgery.

It will take weeks - to months to get back to normal.  Many people can't do abduction exercises for months. 

Don't expect too much.  YOu can't force your body to heal.  Dr. De Smet says - listen to your body.  If it hurts or can't be done - accept that until you body and muscles heal.  All the muscles have to be trained to get use to the new hip.  If you were like most of us, we had problems for years and it takes a long time to get back to normal.

I was walking with one crutch at 4 days and none at 4 weeks.  My body however, was still healing and very stiff. There are movements you can't do until you are healed.  6 months is a time when most functions have returned fully - but it takes a full year for your body to completely heal.

Good Luck!  Let patience be your friend.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

rbrill

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 10:05:03 AM »
Thanks Elaine and Pat,

your advice is sound and the encouragement welcome!  I've been frustrated for a few reasons.  First, I'm a hockey player so my quads are actually pretty strong overall, I just can't do that motion.  And it seems to be a fairly important motion and needed for lots of stuff - like putting on shoes...
Also, it seems to be the only thing that isn't working right.  I know that sounds greedy but everything else is working right and this one motion... why?  I'm concerned.

So I'll heed your advice - chill out and work at improving.
Thanks for the Support!

rlm869

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 11:45:31 AM »
yes, be patient. i am almost 4 weeks post op and i CAN lift but it is only about 2-3 inches off the ground. all those muscles need to reconnect and heal. that quad muscle seems to be the weakest after the surgery. mine were super strong before as well and i thought it would remain. i am trying to be patient myself :)

just make sure you do exercises that tighten that quad muscle. my pt people are constantly feeling it to make sure i am tensing and working it enough.
rebecca
dr. john evans
3/24/08 rbhr

rbrill

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 12:41:37 PM »
Thanks RLM, I do appreciate the support and it is good to know i'm not the only one with this issue.

Big Bill

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 07:46:14 PM »
rbrill---- Hows the rehab going now ???? Hope all is well!  ;D

Big Bill   8)

xocy

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 10:48:51 PM »
I get to go into the pool this week. Dr. Gross requires 4 weeks post op. I'd like to hear whtat kind of excercises others do in the pool. Does any one use swim fins?

Mike
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

triathloner

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
Swim fins are tough to use without rehab problems, the put a lot of stress on your legs and joints esp. the hip.  I would guess just get out there with a kick board and give it a go. 
left biomet Dr. Gross 10-22-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat