+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 8 Days Post Op  (Read 3048 times)

Mr.Box

8 Days Post Op
« on: September 22, 2012, 12:59:10 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Wife is making me sit up in bed for a few hours today so I have some typing time to kill. Just cleaned up all my financial items by paying some bills online, and I'm here to describe the progress, and the setbacks of the last few days.

I made it home ! -- Day 5 Post op I passed all my PT tests for the day and all vitals were good. We left the hospital past 1pm for the ride back into New Jersey. I think I pushed myself really hard the prior 24 hours to make this happen as quickly as it could so I could be home with my family. On the way out of the hospital the reality of it all kind of hit me when I had to get into my wife's Mini Cooper Countryman ( The largest Mini they make ). Let's just say it was an adventure. The ride lasted about 2 and 1/2 hours with various stops to the pharmacy ( which the first one told us that my pain meds were on manufacturers back order for 2 weeks and nobody has access to them ) They even suggested I go back and have my doctor change the script.... I was very calm about it, my wife however wasn't so nice to the pharmacy tech telling her this. All I heard her say was... ARE YOU SERIOUS, HUSBAND... HIP SURGERY... NYC... 2 Hour Drive... MORON....

I calmed her down and we went to the next pharmacy who apparently knew nothing of the so called " manufacturer's back order " and had a readily available supply. I do want to point out that the stresses we all feel during this surgery are also felt by everyone that is around us. Especially if they are the ones in our lives that feel that they are the most important in making the outcome a success. They will and do fight the emotional pains that we are confronted with at each step.

With everything purchased we headed home for the few exterior stairs and setup in my " Man Cave " of recovery. With my previous scope of my hip, I ended up spending most of my time in our living room which I setup as a make shift bedroom till I was able to do things normally. This house is a salt box split level which requires 6 stairs at each level to get to most functions of the house.

By the time I ended up getting up the front steps and the toll of the ride from NYC and the waiting for all the purchases that had to be completed before returning home. I was spent. I couldn't fathom making it up the 6 stairs to the bathroom/master bedroom level. I sat down on our chaise and relaxed a bit. I may have even taken a slight nap while waiting for another round of pain killers to kick in. ( I had been taking the pills at 3 1/2 - 4 hour increments instead of the suggested 3, because I'm dumb. ) I went to go and get up from the chaise and realized there was something VERY WRONG.

I don't know if it was from use of the crutches from the last two days or from the ride home and all the bumps and jumps from the overly " sporty " Mini's suspension, but I had ended up pulling a muscle from my mid back to right shoulder blade. All movement caused a spasm in my back of excruciating pain. I gave myself some time hoping it was momentary, but it wouldn't go away. I ended up forcing myself to my feet and pushing myself to the stairs and somehow got to the first level. I do believe there were many self motivating grunts, groans, and well... straight out cursing going on to push myself beyond the pain. I got to the first level and decided that the next set of stairs and the current condition of my body would make leaving my " Man Cave " to go to the bathroom near impossible. I changed the camp area to our master bedroom and went down for a good bit of horizontal relaxation.

I spent the rest of the day in the bed and ended up spending most of the next day there also. I rarely ate or drank, but did stay on top of my meds as needed. I had a visit by a nurse the next morning at 9:30 and all my vitals were in good condition. PT showed up around 11:00 and I'm happy to say that I've gotten lucky by getting a very knowledgeable, kind, and motivated professional who understood everything I was going through. I explained everything that was going on and we focused on a lot of " In-bed "  exercises to strengthen core areas. He was understanding with my back pull and recommended having my wife work on the shoulder later that evening to help me out. I was a bit worried and discouraged before he showed up but, before he left I knew we had a plan to get me going and getting me back to normal function.

I continued with the exercises that he had left for me for the rest of the night and by the next morning I had gotten out of bed and used the bathroom. Progress!!! I had a second session with my PT on Friday ( Day 7 ) and degree of hip mobility had already increased by 30 points from about 45 to 75 on the knee lifts. I also feel that the items I was shown in the hospital were more of to get you out of the facility, instead of making you stronger for being home. I'm glad I have someone now that is focused on making me better as fast as possible for my own benefit, not so another bed is available.

I also have to say that I can not express how much my wife has been here for me and shown me so much love that I've found a new level of trust and respect I've never had for anyone. This is tough, and tests the best of relationships the first few days / weeks.

I might try to squeeze in a nap before my at home appointed PT substitute comes in for another session. ( My Wife ). Anyone else ever experience the " jump out of your seat " wake up out of a dead sleep with some of these meds ? I think I almost levitated last night, and it keeps happening.

Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
Re: 8 Days Post Op
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 01:11:26 PM »
Box,
I'm day 11 and it is a tough road. Patience patience they say and they're right. Good luck and stay with it!!
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »
Mr. B - the beginning is tough, but you'll start seeing the progress quickly. You sound like you're doing it right.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 01:38:03 PM »
Ah, there's no place like home.  Welcome to the very exclusive Same Day Bilateral Hippi Club.  I'll teach you the secret handshake later.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 03:16:49 PM »
Box, the first 2-3 weeks were definately the most difficult for me. I seemed to turn a corner at 4 weeks and have been on the up since then.

Sounds like everything is going well for you and God bless your wife too. You're right in saying this tests the relationships like nothing else. I don't have a spouse to rely on, but my mother and friends have helped me no end.
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Mr.Box

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 04:49:56 PM »
Thanks everyone :). I'm actually trying to figure out what the Bilateral Handshake could possibly consist of ... LOL Maybe a fist bump and a slight loss of balance and a groan of agony lol.

Can we just make it a Bilateral Chocolate Milkshake instead ? BTW Woodstock, if you happen to be near a Bobby's Burger Palace. Try the milkshakes. ( Making this a recovery goal as of this moment )

I can say I had a good day today, VERY long Nap.. but a milestone this morning concerning the digestive system that hasn't worked since the surgery. 9 days without one and... wow the experience was very ... well ... an experience.

I think at least Dr. Su should send me a super secret decoder ring in the mail after this all!
Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 07:06:17 PM »
They let you go 9 days?! Wow, they were almost forcing laxatives down my throat day 2!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:19:45 PM by rubyred »
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

David

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 07:17:10 PM »
congrats aand welcome to your new life and recovery... :)
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 07:19:48 PM »
''I'm actually trying to figure out what the Bilateral Handshake could possibly consist of ''

OK, you asked for it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR61UVA3gZk

I'm back up in Woodstock, we're all a little strange up here
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Anna

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 06:29:07 AM »
Ha ha, Well now you shake it to the left, shake it to the right, you do the hippy shake shake  ............ excellent Woodstock. Athough I am going to have that song stuck in my head all day  :)

Sounds like you are doing well Mr Box. Keep it up!
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 09:50:16 AM »
Sounds like you're turning the corner.  I can't relate with a same-day bilateral, and cannot imagine doing some of the basic things.  It was hard enough with one, but for me the 2 week mark was like a magical turning point.  I bet you'll hit that point sometime shortly after, then you won't look back.  Continued good luck.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM